• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is It Just Me?

Dibbons

Local time
5:32 AM
Reaction score
When I see an aftermarket aluminum radiator in a Mopar muscle car I can't help but cringe. I don't fault anyone for using one, I am sure they are efficient units and probably an improvement over factory original units. I just never have been able to get accustomed to seeing them in the engine compartment.

My radiator has the oe style stamped tanks. Painted black and not easily noticed.

Agreed, and I feel the same way about aftermarket valve covers, air cleaners, you name it.... unless they are made to look classic/original

I have mad respect for yo OEM guys and love how some of you restore right down to original drip and crayon marks:lowdown::lowdown:
I don't care for 9 inch rears and glide transmissions but that's just me.I'm OK with aftermarket wheels,rads,valve covers and things of the like.
My heap is way beyond stock valve covers,they no longer fit without modification.still a street car and if I can get to a track 4 or 5 time a season I'm happy.I'm no competitor,,,,just an exibitionist:carrot:

4.24.17 010.jpg View attachment 721331 5.9.17 034.jpg 5.20.17 021.jpg 6.22.17 017.jpg 7.5.17 057.jpg 10.15.17 002.jpg 5.15.16 043.jpg 5.15.16 050.jpg Order1076-8x10.jpg

I have some cars with aftermarket aluminum radiators, but lean heavily toward original looks.
20171109_094554.jpg
20171109_094544.jpg
Same model Griffin radiator in both cars. One painted, one not. The 62 has numerous upgrades but no one has ever questioned the radiator. Viper brakes, dual circuit master cylinder, vacuum guage on the engine, yes, but not the radiator. The 66 is not yet finished under the hood. My intentions on it after all issues are worked out, to pull the drivetrain and paint engine compartment body color and satin black the radiator. Right now I'm working on a drive line vibration and upgrades to the suspension.

I have some cars with aftermarket aluminum radiators, but lean heavily toward original looks. View attachment 721324 View attachment 721325Same model Griffin radiator in both cars. One painted, one not. The 62 has numerous upgrades but no one has ever questioned the radiator. Viper brakes, dual circuit master cylinder, vacuum guage on the engine, yes, but not the radiator. The 66 is not yet finished under the hood. My intentions on it after all issues are worked out, to pull the drivetrain and paint engine compartment body color and satin black the radiator. Right now I'm working on a drive line vibration and upgrades to the suspension.
Your 66 is sweet!! We all have our personal preferences also. IMO I don't care for the 3rd gen hemi engines in old cars.I am more accepting these days because I see so many!
On the other hand,,,,,put a blown hemi in ANYTHING and it's now COOL!:lol:

When I see an aftermarket aluminum radiator in a Mopar muscle car I can't help but cringe. I don't fault anyone for using one, I am sure they are efficient units and probably an improvement over factory original units. I just never have been able to get accustomed to seeing them in the engine compartment.
Its not just you, I'm the same way, just doesn't seem right. A big glowing aluminum radiator stands out like a sore thumb. Kinda like the big wheels and rubber band tires.

that's what makes this hobby so great. is you and me and everyone else can do anyway you want and its great. i really like is seeing the owners of the cars and find out that the nerd owns the pro street road runner and the hippy owns the stock model. its great to watch and read all the different ways of doing the same work and the outcome totally different. but the best is when you find a bunch of mopar gear heads standing around talking shop and the age group is from the teens to grandpa. what a great reward

To each his own. I try to look at what people do with a positive attitude, even though I may not agree on their choices. It's not my Money ,so why be critical of what they do?

I've had one nice numbers matching car in my life...well, my first car was numbers matching but it didn't stay that way for long but that was back in 1970 when no one cared. My 70 383 Challenger was numbers matching but with simple mods like a dual point Accel distributor, chrome DC valve covers and aftermarket wheels but that's as far is it went and I ain't the one that did that even. I'm not a numbers guy but won't tear one apart that is NM even if the car is a rust bucket but will modify /6 and 318 cars without a 2nd thought about it.

Guess I'm feeling ornery today, but here goes........Some people are content to drive around and get thumbs up and smiles, but would get blown away by the kid in his Mom's Camry if he tried him. Some people aren't.

I'm not a fan of the big wheels and the rubber band tires but the aluminum radiator doesn't bother me nor do I like black engine compartments (unless the car is black). After all, you can't see the black compartment or the aluminum radiators unless the hood is up but you sure can see the big wheels and rubber band tires lol but like said above, it's their car and not mine so they can spend their money on it the way they want to.

I think it depends on the situation. I tried to restore my 69 Dart 340 swinger, but I couldn't locate a factory radiator that would end up costing less than a grand after I bought a $250-$300 core, had it rebuilt, and bought shroud brackets. I ended up buying an aluminum one with the stamped tanks. Painted it satin black, and made a fiberglass shroud for it, since there was no way to make the stock shroud fit. No one comments on it. Ever. My Sport Fury has an original 1969 RR 26 inch radiator. No one comments on it. Ever. The rest of the car is modified, so, the radiator is not a big concern. Plus, I believe in function over form. I would rather have it do it's job, than be a factory original pain in my neck.

furyus1 003.JPG

If you're going for an all out, factory correct, restoration, you need the correct parts. If not why should it matter.

Some of the aftermarket aluminum radiators have a similar top tank and painting the radiator black, it wouldn't stand out as much as the aluminum finish. The thing is that it's a part that can be easily changed back to an original one if need be.

So I have this radiator settin in the garage.High efficiency core,worked great! Then Jenny Craig got in my ear and so far I have lost 200 lbs.........

3.10.18 005.jpg

sometimes the modern stuff works far better than the original stuff. Here in the Texas heat, I use whatever will work best while sitting still in rush hour traffic. But, my cars are drivers. One day, I'd like a 100 point AAR Cuda , real v code car...or similar

having said that, I do enjoy looking more at correct cars....like this R/T at the dallas autorama

Coronet.jpg

26 cars. 4 with aftermarket aluminum radiators. 1 car has a cooling problem. Guess what it's an aluminum aftermarket radiator in a 68 Dart GTS. It overheats in traffic. Cooling problems are not just radiators. Gas, timing, bored and stroked engines, as well as thermostats and radiators. Many, many things attribute to overheating. I'm guessing the 451 stroker, or trying to retard the timing enough to run on the street without detonation or inferior fuel or all these things are attributing to the problem. I'll work it out with time. I'm not blaming the radiator right now. It's no hotter today than it was 50 years ago and those radiators cooled then and with proper maintenance they still cool today. Example, my 67 Hemi 4-speed GTX still retains its original 934 radiator. It will run 165F all day long with enough fuel. Please figure out your problem before you blame the radiator.

Auto Transport Service
Back