• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it possible to build a big block for great performance and good economy?

Exceptional self control while driving around with "good power" is critical for any kind of fuel 'economy' :D.
I could be getting 17-19 mpg from my @400hp 440 & 3.23s while driving around like grandma most of the day and then yield to the urge of pedal-to-metal to pass a car or 2 or blasting up a freeway onramp to find that I ended up with 8-10 mpg for the trip because of my indiscretions...

My runner got 12 mpg once i think, when i was driving it daily. Most of the time it was in single digits.

Might have had something to do with the full manual valve body (fun!), the sixpack and the 4.10s.

Can a big block be built to make good power and still have exceptional fuel economy? I am just wondering if it can be done? What would it take?
put . taller gears in it like 3.23 ir a 2.7? that's the best for better mpg the 3.91 is what is killing the mpg's putting a RV cam will help some but changing the gears r the best . i would stay away from the power shot nos (unless u want to rebuild it every time its leans out & u melt pistons . i have seen it all too often on the strip)

I have read a Big block 727, takes about 35-40HP to operate the transmission.

That being said what is the avg jump in MPG, going from A727, to M833 transmission?

I ran 383 engine with mild low end torque profile cam. My Trans was the rare extra wide ratio 833 4 spd trans (x low 3.09:1 1st gear, acts good for pull away with hwy gears, 4th still direct 1:1 ), matched up to 8.75 rear using 2.91 ratio hwy gears. I got solid 20 mpg hwy driving, and this combo drove/ felt like a 3.23 or 3.55 perfect for cruiser.
BTW, I have for sale spare 833 4 spd x wide ratio trans internals complete, gears & cluster set, no wear on syncho or main teeth & also the matching 2.91 ratio rear , all in VGC for sale if anyone want to build there own 20 + mpg cruiser.
thx Doug. [email protected]

IDK about BigBlocks, but
I know how to build a fantastic 4.04x3.58 SBM,for both economy and still to be a 12 second 3650 pound car@1000ft.
It seems to me, if someone wanted to, or had the opportunity to, it could be translated to 3.75 stroke BB.

The key piece will be the cruise rpm.

I have read a Big block 727, takes about 35-40HP to operate the transmission.
That being said what is the avg jump in MPG, going from A727, to M833 transmission?

Hang on that is nonsense. If a 727 took 35/40 hp, no slanty in the world could turn it, and there would never have been thousands and thousands of taxi-cabs that ran them.

The number needs a qualifier. Like this;
My 440 made 450 hp on the dyno, but by the time I installed it, she was down to 360 rear wheel hp at 5000rpm. See now you have a useful piece of information.
Forgedabowd hp at cruising speed.

But Yes the manual trans is good for better mpgs, that cannot be denied. But for this application, I don't see any other advantage, and in the big picture, more disadvantage.

Here's why;
To get the mpgs, the rpm has to be brought way way down. Like 2.76s are barely low enough.
With an A833, that makes the starter gear 2.66x2.76= 7.26, so to get moving, you are gonna have to rev it up a lil to find whatever power you are looking for, to satisfy your need for acceleration. But what's worse is that at 30 mph cruising in second gear; 30=1970rpm and even a BB is gonna complain about trying to accelerate from there;so you find yourself forced to downshift. And then the Rs will jump to 30mph =2740rpm. If the tires are hooked, this will not be Rapid Transit.

with an automatic,
you have TM, Torque Multiplication inside the TC working for you. With 2.76s; 65= 2230 rpm locked up. Your BB can make pretty good fuel mileage there, if you tune for it.
But your 727 does not have a lock up, so you want your TC to stall at less than that, so say a 2200.
your starter gear is
2.76 x2.45= 6.76, which at first glance looks worse than the A833 at 7.26. But hang on, there is an hydraulic multiplier that varies infinitely between about 1.1 to 1.8 ; depending on the Torque differential thru it. The multiplier is greatest at zero mph, and drops with speed.... unless the engine torque is simultaneously rising. So at zero mph, say the multiplier is 1.8, then 6.76 x1.8=12.17 and that will totally blow away the 833, when both start from the same rpm. 12.17 is like 4.56s for the A833.
So that is the first reason to use an automatic.The second is 30mph
Again with the 727, 30mph= 1490rpm. Of course that will be at a cruising throttle opening. That is compared to 1970 with the A833. But when you stomp it and before the trans downshifts, the Rs will rise to stall, or 2200ish which being ~2030 rpm higher than the A833. But it gets better; whereas the A833 will be stuck at 2.76 x1.92=5.30 ratio, your TC still has a multiplier in it. I'm gonna guess about 1.4, so for the 727 this is
2.76 x1.45 x1.4= 5.60.. nice, still better than the A833.
But when the trans kicks down, the Rs at WOT will rise to 2520ish, and the new ratio could be
2.76 x2.45 x 1.5 =10.14, whoa.... compared to the A833 at 2740rpm at 7.34 ratio in first.
Which would you rather have? 10.14 of course.
Second gear will get you to waaaaaaaaay past speeding so there is no point in working any more math.
The bottom line, is this; With 2.76s, and assuming no tirespin,and that both cars start at whatever rpm stall the 727 has; the 727 is gonna waste the A833 in any acceleration contest , that ends at the speed-limit. It's all in the TC.
The only handicap, is the hiway rpm can be in the neighborhood of 5% to 8 % higher with the 727, with 2.76s that could be up to about 180 rpm, depending on the TC.

So if yur sharp, you might have noticed that the TC is acting like a two-speed, with an automatically adjusting ratio in each gear, depending on the torque differential thru it; pretty sweet.
At it's most basic level, you can think of the 727 as a 4 speed, with the lowest gear(the TC) shifting itself.
If you are gonna run gears this low, you pretty much have to use an automatic else, with the A833, you will have a severe take-off handicap.

Last edited:
AJ/forms, I don't know any slant six's that run BIG BLOCK 727's., Now that is nonsense!

I just passing on info I have read.
Some drag racers run beefed up 904's and they run quicker times then with the 727, but the transmission do not last nearly as long.

The stock big block 727 is a heavy trans, turning heavy parts.
IMO:
Automatic trans vs stick is less to do with gear ratios, then the way the engine's energy is used.(for efficiency)
In an automatic, the engines power is turned into hydraulic pressure, then back into reciprocating energy to move the car.
And then on top of that you have convertor slippage, and fluid loss.

A manual trans is lighter, and the engines reciprocating power is transferred directly and more efficiently, no convertor or fluid slippage, no wasted energy turning into heat, Just turning force, applied directly to the rear.

EDIT:
I was thinking if we are talking about custom building a big block for power and MPG, we would also use custom tailored transmissions, like the OD version of the 4 speed, or a 5 or 6 speed man, or 4 speed auto.

Last edited:
All things being equal, engine, vehicle weight, and rear end, going from a Small Block 727, to a 904, at 55MPH, RPM drops by 450-500. and AFAIK both have a 1.00 3rd gear.
According to Direct Connect book, I have never swapped a 727 for a 904.
I would think this helps points to the 727's larger parasitic loss, and that was a SB727.

Brad, you missed the point. The 727 is essentially the same internally no matter which bell housing pattern is on the case.

I was busting balls, because I said big block 727. and the NONsense comment got under my skin.
The bands and drums are different sizes, and I also think the convertors are different.

Most SM727 have 3 clutch drums, the Big blocks have 5, thats X2,

With the effficency of the newer converters there is not much of a parasitic loss as there was years ago. Kim

Are you talking lock up vs non- lock up, or do you mean a new non lock up is more efficient then the stock/ older non lock up one?

Small or big can have 3or4. 5 if u build it that way. Mine has 6. Kim

If you build it that way, I thought we were talking stock.
Like the way the factory installed them.

Newer non lock ups. There is a night and day difference. Technology is where it’s at. Kim

That is great to know!!!
Is it a measurable difference?
Like the better convertor resulted in less wasted energy or faster times at the track?

Auto Transport Service
Back