• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Jack Daniels being a jerk about these doggie toys? Your opinion please?

I didn’t go through the article closely, but I think if a company doesn’t protect its trademark, it will eventually lose control of it.

J.D. is being overly sensitive. There’s been some controversy about them watering down their products over the years.

Lowering to 80 proof

Jack Daniel’s black label was historically produced at 90 U.S. proof (45% alcohol by volume). The lower-end green label product was 80 proof. However, starting in 1987, the other label variations were also reduced in proof. This began with black label being initially reduced to 86 proof.

Finally, starting in 2002, all generally available Jack Daniel’s products were diluted to 80 proof (including both black label and green label). The reason stated for this was that the distillery’s marketing had found that customers preferred a lower-proof whiskey; this also simplified the production process, and lowered production costs.

If the Jack Daniels likeness had no value then would the dog toy maker have modeled their toy after their logo? Not likely.

Think JD lose's. See Wierd Al Yankovic. A guy in Waterbury CT. named hie bussiness Tools R US. Toys R US sued and won, go figure. New name Tools Plus.

When I saw that dog toy, it reminded me of Wacky Packages I collected as a kid. If Jack Daniels has a legitimate case against the dog toy company, why wasn’t Topps sued out of existence decades ago for all the consumer products they have parodied with Wacky Packages?
Wacky Packages - Wikipedia

I think they should concentrate more on controlling the mold that distilling whiskey causes before some frivolous lawsuit!!
I had never heard of this until I moved here!

If the court finds the dog toy a close enough likeness then infringement laws apply. This is nothing new and applies to any product patented or copyrighted.
And about JD watering down their spirits, they can and It is probably better. The stuff can be pretty gut rot at higher proof and you better mask it with Coke. Now saying that, I have a half dozen bottles of JD Single barrel-barrel proof that are all around that 130 proof range. It is bold but very delicious with caramel and butterscotch. You drink that neat and never mix it with "Coke". It is also a bit older than #7 and hand picked.

I think they should concentrate more on controlling the mold that distilling whiskey causes before some frivolous lawsuit!!
I had never heard of this until I moved here!
I watched a Buffalo Trace video the other day. There is black mold on their buildings as well. It's a by product of the process.

Buffalo-Trace-Distillery-6.jpg

To me that Whiskey is really not that good when consumed. I only once drank any and I got violently sick from it after over serving myself in my early 20's. Never drank Bourbon Whiskey again. I do use it for cooking and such and a pint will last me for a very long time. When used in that fashion, it enhances the flavor of say BBQ Sauce or Baked Beans. Myself and 69a100 lost our Brother to that swill as he just couldn't shake the John Barleycorn effects upon him. Y'all that drink it, I could care less as I will never let it touch my lips...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

J.D. is being overly sensitive. There’s been some controversy about them watering down their products over the years.

Lowering to 80 proof

Jack Daniel’s black label was historically produced at 90 U.S. proof (45% alcohol by volume). The lower-end green label product was 80 proof. However, starting in 1987, the other label variations were also reduced in proof. This began with black label being initially reduced to 86 proof.

Finally, starting in 2002, all generally available Jack Daniel’s products were diluted to 80 proof (including both black label and green label). The reason stated for this was that the distillery’s marketing had found that customers preferred a lower-proof whiskey; this also simplified the production process, and lowered production costs.
I don't buy JD for a couple decades now. I never noticed or knew this.
I do have 3/4 of a 1.75 in my cupboard from 1997. I will have to go check the label now. I wonder what it tastes like after not seeing the light of day since 2001?

Just another point of interest.....over here, you can 'imitate' another product if you have at least (and can prove it) 20% point of difference in your product.

How that is measured can be subjective.

Well, apparently jack daniels newest ads have men imitating / looking like women, so how about a class action suit against them by all the females of the world...?

The only reason for the company to make a parody name "Bad Spaniels" and copy the bottle design is because they know it will be recognized. JD spent the last 150 years promoting their brand and put time and effort into it. The VIP Products company invested none of this and doesn't own the name but wants to profit from it. I think that if they wanted to do that, and thought it was going to be a decent seller, they should have licensed the rights directly from Jack Daniels and avoided the lawsuit in the first place.

JD needs to get funds for sponsoring Ru Pauls drag team.

stupid ****, frivoulous LS
deep pockets picking on a lil' guy

yeah they are JERKs

they should be flattered
it looks sort of like a Bootle of Booze from JD

IIRC it only has to be different in 7 ways
I see that many easily

Auto Transport Service
Back