• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the 440+6 idle solenoid necessary for street use?

These repops look 1-1/8" long......

View attachment 1073100

This one is bottomed in the hole without a gasket. It's so close adding the gasket might fool ya'..........

View attachment 1073101

Many thanks for the pichers Dave.

Appreciate your taking the time.

Don’t know if it’s the camera angle, but looks like they might be slightly longer actually.

Hopefully someone else knows how long they are supposed to be.

I’ll remember that trick though

I've ran 6-bbl cars since the early 70's. The solenoid was installed for emissions and to prevent dieseling. A higher idle RPM enable Chryco to certify emissions, but also to hinder dieseling with the throttle blades slightly open. I've had engines diesel, and not diesel. Actually, when modifying these engines, the solenoid became useless, they would go in the garbage along with the stock fuel lines and vacuum canisters on the outboards, as I set up progressive manual linkage.

@tallhair, take a look at Todd Hoffman's website for a view of the various components that he offers to the vendors that he sells to. His products are usually very correct in fit, finish and application. You can see from his page, pictures of the throttle brackets, carb studs, etc. Hardware comes from AMK products.

http://www.hoffmanswinnerscircle.com/14_fuel.htm

@tallhair, take a look at Todd Hoffman's website for a view of the various components that he offers to the vendors that he sells to. His products are usually very correct in fit, finish and application. You can see from his page, pictures of the throttle brackets, carb studs, etc. Hardware comes from AMK products.

Chuck & Linda's son.... Good people...

Will definitely check it out.

thanks Richard!

That solenoid is only there to stop eng run on after key is turned off as it drops the throttle blades closed more. And of course you can run it without the solenoid. If you had a problem with eng run on then its a plus but even with eng run on and no solenoid you can just give a pop of the clutch if a stick car when you shut it off or shut it off in gear if and auto. Ron

That solenoid is only there to stop eng run on after key is turned off as it drops the throttle blades closed more. And of course you can run it without the solenoid. If you had a problem with eng run on then its a plus but even with eng run on and no solenoid you can just give a pop of the clutch if a stick car when you shut it off or shut it off in gear if and auto. Ron

Actually I think the solenoids were there for emissions too idle up these engines at times too burn more hydrocarbons, and are actually the cause of at least some of the run on.

That’s just based on my research though. I’ve read that some solenoids are there to open the butterflies and others are there to close. Isn’t this one to idle up, not down? Depends on which way they’re wired, I’ve read.

@RJRENTON

Actually I think the solenoids were there for emissions too idle up these engines at times too burn more hydrocarbons, and are actually the cause of at least some of the run on.

That’s just based on my research though. I’ve read that some solenoids are there to open the butterflies and others are there to close. Isn’t this one to idle up, not down? Depends on which way they’re wired, I’ve read.

No they could just turn the idle up by opening the throttle blades more which they do on many engines and dont use the solenoid. And if there was no run on trouble they would have not had a reason to put it on. It does nothing for emissions its just since they raised the idle for emissions some cars may have run on so they install the idle solenoid to close throttle more. But If the A12 cars had no run on problem the solenoid would not be there. Ron

Listen to Ron, he knows that of which he speaks...

Yes that is the idle up solenoid as thats what all idle solenoids do. Some cars even use them to turn the idle up when the AC is turned on. Thats was mostly older cars that would drag the idle down with them big old comp. And some over sea's cars like Nissan and Toyota use to use a solenoid that went into the idle circuit and it actually closed the fuel off in the idle circuit to stop eng run on. Ron

Listen to Ron, he knows that of which he speaks...

I listen to everyone who has the experience I don’t, and have read quite a bit on the subject, I just relayed what I’ve already read from several articles and some threads here.

Looking to learn and test what I’ve read.

Yes that is the idle up solenoid as thats what all idle solenoids do. Some cars even use them to turn the idle up when the AC is turned on. Thats was mostly older cars that would drag the idle down with them big old comp. And some over sea's cars like Nissan and Toyota use to use a solenoid that went into the idle circuit and it actually closed the fuel off in the idle circuit to stop eng run on. Ron

Thanks Ron. Appreciate the education.

The Mancini 6 pack setup comes with carb studs with nuts and they don't work as the fuel lines off the secondaries go right over the bolt hole especially the front carb. Also using bolts lets you remove them and unhook the fuel line from the center "T" on the rear carb and slide it straight back to get to the air bleed screws for adjusting.
I got the bolts from Tractor Supply cheap and they look better than the studs in my opinion.

Holley Universal Throttle Solenoid 46-74 on a custom bracket. Yes, the throttle bracket is correct.

DSC08086.JPG

IMO....I guess it comes down to YOUR opinion, wants and need.....
On my RS23V0A****** GTX, I have a totally origional and functional solenoid set up that functions as an anti-diesel shut down device. It was origional to the car. The cam I use is a Crane equivalent to a Mopar 292° 0.509" and 1.6:1 Crane roller rockers, that seems to like idleing at 1200/1300 RPM AND will diesel at that speed. On power down, the solenoid retracts and the idle RPM drops to approximately 700....no diesel-ing.
BTW....the origional solenoid # DR1114443 was made by Delco Remy (GM).
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back