• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a difference between the small block and big block 727 housing tail?

GassMann

Local time
5:46 AM
Reaction score
I had a 318 with a 727 and installed a 440 then upgraded the transmission housing by rebuilding the old gears and putting them into the new housing. I am struggling with fitting the drive shaft. It does almost all the way in but not far enough and it seems to hard-stop.

I am not a transmission guy so I most likely did something wrong but what? The output shaft splines appear to stick out the same amount as the small-block housing did and it "LOOK" the same. I just can't seem to get it to go in. Is there an difference between the 440 and 318 drive shaft?

I had a 318 with a 727 and installed a 440 then upgraded the transmission housing by rebuilding the old gears and putting them into the new housing. I am struggling with fitting the drive shaft. It does almost all the way in but not far enough and it seems to hard-stop.

I am not a transmission guy so I most likely did something wrong but what? The output shaft splines appear to stick out the same amount as the small-block housing did and it "LOOK" the same. I just can't seem to get it to go in. Is there an difference between the 440 and 318 drive shaft?
Disregard... It's been a few decades since I worked on a car and I am not using enough force. New seals were stopping it from going all the way in. A bit of force with a soft-blow hammer and it got past the hang up.

Auto Transport Service
Back