• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a good 66 VIN and fender tag decoder?

SIX TO GO

Local time
11:21 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I’ve found several different sites reading the various threads on the topic of decoding VINs and fender tags but I haven’t found one yet that works great for 66 B bodies.
Are there any good sites for 66s?
Here’s the VIN:
4F908543-9CDF-4243-BE6F-4BAC2C36EF81.jpeg

Here’s the fender tag:
19CC19CA-F039-4117-98A9-8108ACB3C534.jpeg

And here’s from the 66 Dodge Dart and Coronet Service Manual:
E0D1C897-BFE3-46AD-9A23-5C85C0097253.jpeg

If I decode the VIN from the service manual I discover that everything makes sense except for the engine size as they don’t list a “G” as an engine option. My guess is that the manual had to be updated at some point and the one I find at MyMopar.com just isn’t an updated version??
Thanks!

G engine in '66 is a 383 x 4 barrel... as is the 62 under the AB on the fender tag.

Cars SPD was May 19th (ie:519)

There was a tag decoder on the 66/67 Chrgersourceguide page but it was charger specific and only about 70% for Coronets and others.

Note that there is an error in the factory service manual regarding the engine size VIN digit.

G=383 is correct, and all were four barrels carbs in 66.

This forum... others will chip in I'm sure. I forget where I put my list. Probably with my Satellite's folder in the shop.

You can send your VIN and proof of ownership to Chrysler and get a PDF of your build card. Email address is at the bottom of this form....
buildrequest.jpg

This forum... others will chip in I'm sure. I forget where I put my list. Probably with my Satellite's folder in the shop.

You can send your VIN and proof of ownership to Chrysler and get a PDF of your build card. Email address is at the bottom of this form....
View attachment 1406766
Excellent!
I just emailed her and will pursue getting mine.
I’m unfamiliar with a “build card” but I’m guessing it is what it sounds like but, does it mean it’s just more codes that need to be translated into information or does it actually describe the vehicle and options?
Thanks!

Excellent!
I just emailed her and will pursue getting mine.
I’m unfamiliar with a “build card” but I’m guessing it is what it sounds like but, does it mean it’s just more codes that need to be translated into information or does it actually describe the vehicle and options?
Thanks!
It's an IBM punch card. They'll send you a PDF that hopefully is clear enough to read. Yes it needs to be deciphered, but others here have lead the way on how to do just that!

Looks like all of your tag but the "w" code on the top "abc" line can be read from the Charger tag page.

Looks like all of your tag but the "w" code on the top "abc" line can be read from the Charger tag page.
So I think I have decoded most but not all.
F429ED3C-9A41-4CF0-A081-F51587E07480.jpeg

Top Row (of small letters):
a6 = console
b4 = bucket seats
d6 = unsolved
u1 = sold car (someone ordered the car this way)
w6 = unsolved

Middle Row (of capital letters):
AB62 = 383-4bbl
C5 = automatic transmission
R1 = 2 watt AM radio

SO Number
519 = 19 May 1966 (the rest isn’t interesting to me)

Body
WP23 = Coronet, Premium, 2 Door Hardtop

TRM
P4Y = unsolved

PAINT
ZZ1 = Gold Metallic (Poly)
Z = Gold (the paint on the inside of the doors, I assume it’s the exact same paint as the outside?)

Would love to know if the dash (metal), dash pad, console, carpet and headliner are all supposed to be green. My guess is that it’s going to be answered by the TRM code. Would love to solve what the other codes are as well.

1966 model year - 3 digits placed in this order, capital letter, number, capital letter.
Example - interior trim code P4X
P = trim grade, P = premium trim grade
4 = seat material used and seat type, 4 = vinyl seat covers, front bucket seats

Y = citron / gold in one place I read and white / gold in another

1966 model year - 3 digits placed in this order, capital letter, number, capital letter.
Example - interior trim code P4X
P = trim grade, P = premium trim grade
4 = seat material used and seat type, 4 = vinyl seat covers, front bucket seats

Y = citron / gold in one place I read and white / gold in another
I had heard or read “citron” somewhere for this car as well, can’t recall where. So that’s the color of the vinyl! Perfect. A little more solved.
P was probably the method of annotating it as premium or that it’s for a 500. Doesn’t look like they actually call out 500 anywhere.

I figured out where I read “Citron”, it’s on a sales brochure.
797B16E6-29E7-4089-8B0A-1B997AA86D3F.jpeg

What’s odd is that this thing doesn’t show any green colors (like mine) available for the interior. The options supposedly were Black, White, or Citron Gold. If true then this could mean that the green interior I have in mine is maybe for 67s?
Also, Citron Gold Metallic isn’t a paint chip listed on the 1966 Dodge Paint Chip sheet. ZZ1 is listed simply as Gold Poly. Just a difference in semantics?
23771B76-54B6-4246-9825-E4E89477F75F.jpeg

I figured out where I read “Citron”, it’s on a sales brochure.
View attachment 1406850
What’s odd is that this thing doesn’t show any green colors (like mine) available for the interior. The options supposedly were Black, White, or Citron Gold. If true then this could mean that the green interior I have in mine is maybe for 67s?
Also, Citron Gold Metallic isn’t a paint chip listed on the 1966 Dodge Paint Chip sheet. ZZ1 is listed simply as Gold Poly. Just a difference in semantics?
View attachment 1406849
I suggest you punch in zz1 in the search. Lots to read about this subject.

I suggest you punch in zz1 in the search. Lots to read about this subject.
I’m really trying to solve for the green interior. I know what you mean about ZZ1. I’m okay with it just being semantics between the sales brochure and the paint chip sheet. But green interior parts for a ZZ1 paint might be the wrong answer for my car. Trying to learn what it rolled off the line with.

The green interior is not what came with the car since we already covered that it's coded for Gold..

My 66 is Y1 medium bronze, and is coded for a "Y" interior, which is bronze/tan.

My suspicion is that they used "Y" for both, especially since I've seen it decoded as gold/citron.

...and I'd bet a fair amount of money that the OP;s car did come with that citron interior from the factory.

The green interior is not what came with the car since we already covered that it's coded for Gold..
Thanks @dadsbee We’re in agreement that the car didn’t come off the line with a green interior (although I didn’t know it for certain when I started this thread) but I’m still not clear on how it should look to be accurate.

According to the pocket sales brochure it can come trimmed inside in white or citron gold.

According to TPOCR, the P4Y code translates to White/Gold.

Does the slash imply white or citron gold or white and gold?

The green elements inside my car (headliner, sun visors, dash, center console, arm rests and carpet) are definitely wrong. Agreed!

But what are the correct colors for these green components?
All white?
All gold?
White headliner, sun visors, dash and arm rests with gold console and carpet?
Other?

I emailed Danielle at Stellantis to see if I can get a copy of the build card but I don’t if it will answer what the interior should look like when it was built but it’s worth a shot.

Auto Transport Service
Back