• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a good 66 VIN and fender tag decoder?

My 66 Coronet 440 had a white headliner and visors with it's two tone tan/bronze interior (also called gold/ginger).

dang, strike all those Charger refernces I just made.

yes, you have 67 window cranks.

...but they shouldn't rub.

Yes, those look like '67 window cranks to me.

Are the plastic washers present between them and the door panels?

I've also very recently learned (thanks FBBO) that 66/67 Chargers had different regulators with longer crank pins because of the increased thickness of the Charger door panel vs the Coronet/Plymouth panels.

Do the rear cranks rub?

Is it possible someone used Coronet/Plymouth regulators during the restore?
The reason I ask is because simply using 67 cranks in a 66 car shouldn't cause rubbing or they would have rubbed in 67 cars.
...unless the 67 door panel is different to compensate.
I’m out and about. Will check later to see.

Yes, those look like '67 window cranks to me.

Are the plastic washers present between them and the door panels?

I've also very recently learned (thanks FBBO) that 66/67 Chargers had different regulators with longer crank pins because of the increased thickness of the Charger door panel vs the Coronet/Plymouth panels.

Do the rear cranks rub?

Is it possible someone used Coronet/Plymouth regulators during the restore?
The reason I ask is because simply using 67 cranks in a 66 car shouldn't cause rubbing or they would have rubbed in 67 cars.
...unless the 67 door panel is different to compensate.
Okay, so I’m back at it.

Yes, the fronts rub only on the chrome trim but I can pull the crank away from it (for the most part) as I crank it over the trim. Less than ideal.

Yes, there are very thin black plastic washers but don’t know that they actually do anything to help. Curious if I can just space the front cranks out just a touch by adding washers. There’s still lots of thread to hold the cranks on firmly…

No, the rears are fine. No rubbing.
A34836B9-5AEF-43BC-92A1-9A1A0930D113.jpeg
39C0E76E-8954-4EDA-B18E-99AC85794FB2.jpeg

Yes, the wrong components could have been used in the restoration but I have zero history on the car. I bought it as is at Mecum Auctions.

My 1964 Polara 500 convertible was Anniversary Gold (ZZ) with Light Olive Metallic (P4Y) interior. This interior colour was a shade of gold. P4Y denotes gold bucket seats in the Premium line of car. Shades of gold exterior paint and gold interior fabrics changed from one year to the next, but the codes remained consistent. So, your Coronet would be gold with gold interior, to the casual observer.

28.jpg

29.jpg

12.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, so I’m back at it.

Yes, the fronts rub only on the chrome trim but I can pull the crank away from it (for the most part) as I crank it over the trim. Less than ideal.

Yes, there are very thin black plastic washers but don’t know that they actually do anything to help. Curious if I can just space the front cranks out just a touch by adding washers. There’s still lots of thread to hold the cranks on firmly…

No, the rears are fine. No rubbing.View attachment 1407218View attachment 1407219
Yes, the wrong components could have been used in the restoration but I have zero history on the car. I bought it as is at Mecum Auctions.
Yes, those are '66 cranks, They resemble the ones in my '64 Polara, which is correct. I have a '67 R/T with different, simpler cranks.

I don't think your dash and console colours are correct. They are too green. On my '64, the lower dash metal was the same colour as exterior sheet metal, same as your metal door uppers. I would think your seat upholstery is correct, since they are likely Legendary pieces, and they are usually spot on with colour. It may be the lighting, but the exterior colour looks like the Anniversary Gold on my '64, kind of a champagne hue. I remember the '66 and '67 gold as having a green tint to it. Your headliner should be a close match to the colour of the seat material, same with your dash pad and console. The top of your dash might be a semi-gloss Olive colour. Based on posts on another thread, your arm rests look to be 1967 and newer, the only ones currently reproduced.
Your engine looks to have '67 and newer HP exhaust manifolds. 1966 air cleaners would not have a pie plate. They first appeared in 1967. 1966 air cleaner on 383 4-barrel motor would be a small round affair, almost like a slant six one. 1967 383 4-barrel air cleaner would have a tall top that would not accept a pie plate, and two round snorkels.
I am not trying to beat up your car, since it looks to be very nice, especially in that colour combo. The only things that really look out of place are the colours of your console and dash. Someone talented with an air brush may be able to repaint your dash without having to remove it (and windshield). The console is easily removed and can be dyed using SEM dye with appropriate primer. The engine stuff; if you are happy with it, just leave it alone and enjoy it. Most people will not notice the details anyway.

So, your Coronet would be gold with gold interior, to the casual observer.
Perfect! That’s what I was trying to find.
I wasn’t buying the green color as being correct. It’s relatively freshly done so I don’t have any plans to attack it to correct it but, if my investments can come back around and I get a burr up my butt for correctness I understand now what correct is. And that’s all I was going for.

I am not trying to beat up your car, since it looks to be very nice, especially in that colour combo. The only things that really look out of place are the colours of your console and dash.
Yeah, that was never a thought!

I actually have a different thread basically asking “what’s wrong with this picture?” so getting info like this here is fine and dandy. This thread was trying to decode exactly what the fender tag and VIN are saying.

Many thanks for calling out what you see as incorrect! I may update stuff over time but for now, I’m getting the bugs out and going to drive it and give it a little exercise from time to time.

Cheers!

I don't think your dash and console colours are correct. They are too green. On my '64, the lower dash metal was the same colour as exterior sheet metal, same as your metal door uppers. I would think your seat upholstery is correct, since they are likely Legendary pieces, and they are usually spot on with colour. It may be the lighting, but the exterior colour looks like the Anniversary Gold on my '64, kind of a champagne hue. I remember the '66 and '67 gold as having a green tint to it. Your headliner should be a close match to the colour of the seat material, same with your dash pad and console. The top of your dash might be a semi-gloss Olive colour. Based on posts on another thread, your arm rests look to be 1967 and newer, the only ones currently reproduced.
Your engine looks to have '67 and newer HP exhaust manifolds. 1966 air cleaners would not have a pie plate. They first appeared in 1967. 1966 air cleaner on 383 4-barrel motor would be a small round affair, almost like a slant six one. 1967 383 4-barrel air cleaner would have a tall top that would not accept a pie plate, and two round snorkels.
I am not trying to beat up your car, since it looks to be very nice, especially in that colour combo. The only things that really look out of place are the colours of your console and dash. Someone talented with an air brush may be able to repaint your dash without having to remove it (and windshield). The console is easily removed and can be dyed using SEM dye with appropriate primer. The engine stuff; if you are happy with it, just leave it alone and enjoy it. Most people will not notice the details anyway.
The 66-7 Charger arm rests look the same, also 66-7 Coronets that I have seen.

The cranks in post 44 are 66 cranks.

500 and Charger used 13" front arm rest pads.

There has been some debate very recently about any other models using 13" pads, but my lifetime has only seen 9" pads on anything other than Charger and 500 Dodge models.

The window crank washers I'm familiar with seem thicker.

...also are the clips for the door panel present in that area? That can make it bow out.

On my 66, the steering column is almost the exact paint as the body, but the dash is slightly darker and has a texture to it.
That's been discussed before here as well.

Keep in mind, BOTH the 1966 Dodge and Plymouth Factory Service Manuals are WRONG when it comes to engine callouts! And, it's not just that "373" misprint!

The "C" is Special Order 6. "D" is 273. "E" is A318. "F" is 361. "G" is 383 4-bbl (no 383 2-bbl in '66). "H" is 426 Hemi.

The 383-2bbl was not a thing in 1966, but was for 1967; as that replaced the 361 2-bbl that year.

Yes, Virginia, sometimes the factory information is incorrect.

Last edited:
I had heard or read “citron” somewhere for this car as well, can’t recall where. So that’s the color of the vinyl! Perfect. A little more solved.
P was probably the method of annotating it as premium or that it’s for a 500. Doesn’t look like they actually call out 500 anywhere.

The "P" for the Coronet indicates Premium (or 500) model. So, WP23 is Coronet 500 two-door hardtop. The "P" and "500" are synomonous, in this application.

Keep in mind, BOTH the 1966 Dodge and Plymouth manuals are WRONG when it comes to engine callouts! And, it's not just that "373" misprint! The "C" is Special Order 6. "D" is 273. "E" is A318. "F" is 361. "G" is 383 4-bbl (no 383 2-bbl in '66). "H" is 426 Hemi. The 383-2bbl was not a thing in 1966, but was for 1967.

Yes, Virginia, sometimes the factory information is incorrect.
Is there any where to read more about this?
My manual shows where they changed digits mid production. Seems very weird that all of that was a misprint?
But I would like to hear any back story on it.
Late to the party, as it were.

There is a factory correction letter/addendum for the 66 FSM.

It's been posed on FBBO before.

Actually, the error in the FSMs has been known for decades.

There is not a 383-2bbl available in B bodies for 66 but there was in C body. For model year 1966, a G code indicates a 383 and doesn't, by itself, tell us which carb came with the car. We need to know the application of the code and possibly the engine sales code.

66_Chrysler_383_1000.jpg

Hmm "XP" instead of "HP".

Interesting.

Auto Transport Service
Back