• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a Meat Emergency Mario.

I can’t comment on beef, I seldom eat it.
With game we like to hang it for a week to ten days at a temperature just above freezing. It allows enzymes to break down connective tissues and make it more tender. The temperature is critical; too warm and the meat rots. Too cold and you are wasting your time. It’s not necessary, though. My current butcher doesn’t hang my elk or deer and they are fine. Tender, just not as tender as they would be if hung.

I can’t comment on beef, I seldom eat it.
With game we like to hang it for a week to ten days at a temperature just above freezing. It allows enzymes to break down connective tissues and make it more tender. The temperature is critical; too warm and the meat rots. Too cold and you are wasting your time. It’s not necessary, though. My current butcher doesn’t hang my elk or deer and they are fine. Tender, just not as tender as they would be if hung.
Semi-dry aging? How's the humidity where you hang it?

"Fresh is best"... never when it comes to Beef, but Wagyu might be pushing it a tad!

1/4r's hung for at least 3 weeks to bleed out. Then cut up and another good week in the cooler... then they get better the next week...

@MarPar
Sounds about right for recently slaughtered.

I get mine already packaged in Cryovac from the slaughterhouse. Depending what cut it is, I'll age it in the bag in my cooler from 2 to 3 months. Matter of fact, I had 5c of Prime peeled outer skirts that that were 1/9 dates that I just put in the freezer today after aging.

Of course my customers do not (or don't want to) understand the value of wet-aging and they all demand that it is still moo-ing in the damn box when it arrives to them.

Here are some Prime CAB PSMO's I had aging for 3 months on the day I cut em.

Prime CAB PSMO (1).JPG

Sounds about right for recently slaughtered.

I get mine already packaged in Cryovac from the slaughterhouse. Depending what cut it is, I'll age it in the bag in my cooler from 2 to 3 months. Matter of fact, I had 5c of Prime peeled outer skirts that that were 1/9 dates that I just put in the freezer today after aging.

Of course my customers do not (or don't want to) understand the value of wet-aging and they all demand that it is still moo-ing in the damn box when it arrives to them.

Here are some Prime CAB PSMO's I had aging for 3 months on the day I cut em.

View attachment 1622861
Damn those look tasty... :thumbsup:

Aging does help meat if done correctly. My cousin in Scotland was showing us some pheasants he had hung about 4 weeks earlier in the barn. Sadly a couple of them had gone 'a little too far' and were tossed. The rest became dinner that night in the most delicious casserole I have ever had.

I grew up on farms as the son of a dairy farmer, and we always had fresh lamb, beef, chicken, seafood ...the lot. No time to hang meat when it needs to be in the oven or on the BBQ. :lol:
We always had the best stuff too...... the famous 'cube roll' aka eye fillet trimmed was in our house so much that we almost got sick of eating it.

And done...

Prime Boneless Short Ribs1.jpg

As if it wasn't rich enough, we have truffle pot pie to accompany it.

Pics to follow

IMG_5414.jpg

This was a comp from one of my customers. Alinea Group in Chicago.

Sorry, no pics of the finished product. We were hungry. LOL

The pot pie was ok, but the ribs were friggin dynamite!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back