• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there anywhere in the country right now where the chip shortage isn't effecting car prices?

furious70

Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking for Charger Scatpack, Hellcat or Jeep GC SRT or Trackhawk and right now things look ridiculous in both the new and used landscape. Is there a pocket of the country I can fly in and buy at last year's prices? :praying:

Probably not.

I work for a Mopar dealer, and we can't get anything. Parts, vehicles, transmissions, recall parts...it's ALL backed up.

And people thought shutting down everything for a year "wouldn't make much of a difference".

Guess what - THIS is what happens, when you shut down industry, and supply chains, for a year.

yes, and when you drill in, many are charging over sticking or not applying the rebates.
There is one local to me dealer who has 20+ of them and is marking them up several grand over sticker.
The max distance also keeps you from easily searching across the country.

I'm not going pay over sticker for a car that was discounted $5000 6 months ago, so if I have to wait 6 months for it to straighten out I guess I will, but just like spotty covid shot coverage with other areas swimming in shots, I was hoping there might be a geography swimming in available horsepower :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Want to play, got to pay... They mark them up because they can and people pay it, that said I have found that if you can find a dealer that you can work with many times you can work a deal. Their goal is to sell cars, most would rather move a car and take a little less than let it sit waiting on that one buyer. You need to find a veteran salesman not a new guy trying to get rich off one sale. If you find a vehicle you like and are serious about it, chances are that you can push them to give you a deal especially if you are willing to walk. All this said, no one is just going to give you deal from the beginning, thats not how the game is played and they know it.

I guess my question makes me appear a novice at car buying...

These cars have not ever traditionally been marked up. This time last year there were still new 2019 hellcats for $58k. Yes, the 2020 widebody pushed the market up. I wasn't able to pull the trigger a year ago or I certainly would have.

My question is not how to buy a car, but is any region in the country less affected and therefore a better starting place. Why start my work of negotiating from the highest mountain?

If you work as a contractor, police, fire, a lot of dealers have a very seasoned fleet sales guy. They sell volume. If you can find one, and are in those type career fields, you can usually get a great deal. I bought 2 Cummins Rams at wholesale from my fleet sales guy in Vegas yrs ago.

it took me three months to get a mirror for my Platinum Truck dam near $1500.00 and only 20% employee discount

That's why I'm hanging on to my 2011 Dodge Charger RT. I just had it repainted, BTW, the right way, not tape, scuff, and shoot. Toxic orange (PVG)

I've seen more than one article on various sites recently that discuss the fact that there IS, in fact,
quite a run on anything SRT-related in the new models and has been for a while, thanks to the
conglomerate of whatevers who own Dodge now making that announcement about the disbanding
of the SRT team.
As others have already said - market demand dictates what happens out there.

I'm looking for Charger Scatpack, Hellcat or Jeep GC SRT or Trackhawk and right now things look ridiculous in both the new and used landscape. Is there a pocket of the country I can fly in and buy at last year's prices? :praying:

I just sent you a pm with a link to a dealership with 3 Scat Pack Chargers.

Also, I included the VIN for each car.

our local Sonora DJRC
didn't have any new ones

https://www.autolist.com/dodge-charger

use their search criteria

I see a bunch of places out here selling new

2021 Scat Pack R/T Charger

just in NorCal,
quick viewed in a 200 mile radius
many are multiples in the same city
or dealerships
------------------
Fremont
Dublin
Lodi
SanLeandro
Pleasanton
Concord
Antioch
Richmond

Carson City Nv

from like $41k to $47k average price
(to $63k)
depending on options & colors

a few pages of used ones too

I saw 1 2021 with less than 1,000 miles
marked down, in San Leandro IIRC

I didn't even look in the valley much
2 dealers did list them
Modesto
Yuba City

didn't look in
Folsom
or Sacramento
or Roseville
or Elk Grove
or Fairfield
or Davis
or Vacaville dealers

that's just NorCal too
If you want one bad

Last edited:
I guess my question makes me appear a novice at car buying...

These cars have not ever traditionally been marked up. This time last year there were still new 2019 hellcats for $58k. Yes, the 2020 widebody pushed the market up. I wasn't able to pull the trigger a year ago or I certainly would have.

My question is not how to buy a car, but is any region in the country less affected and therefore a better starting place. Why start my work of negotiating from the highest mountain?

I understand where you are coming from and I don't know what price range you are looking for or if it has to be 2021 or whether you would take a 19 or 20 but a quick look locally here in western WA shows that a 2019 Hellcat Challenger is running about $60K and a 2021 Challenger (wide body) running about $92K https://www.edmunds.com/used-2021-dodge-challenger-spokane-wa/

Charger not challenger for me. 2018+ am looking at lightly used or new

This National Backorder crap has to stop immediately. I’m hearing about trucks that have failed emissions parts and warranty is supposed to cover them but dealers can’t get the parts. So how about the manufacturer start paying for a rental (whatever your vehicle is, you get the same) and start making payments (if still financed, if not, they pay you what your payment was or would have been with 20% down). Guarantee this shortage would quit in a NY minute!

Well gee thanks. I just spent an hour looking at listings for new Scat Pack Chargers...
I can't afford that nonsense, but here I am, looking at all the options and such anyways.
Sheesh...

Well it looks like my post about economics was deleted. Hopefully this will be more acceptable.

Parts are in short supply because industries have been shut down for a year.

Parts won't come back in stock until people are back to work, and products are able to be produced again.

My granddaughter bought a Durango last Sunday. Last 2021 on the lot, no more coming. The sales manager said there’s a national shortage of micro chips. The Durango has 41 separate computers.

Auto Transport Service
Back