• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a thing ?

RT SE 440

Local time
9:13 PM
Reaction score
Hello all just started doing my steering column and came across this thing which I've been told goes on he steering coupler. I checked mine but it doesn't have one checked the parts book and no cigar is it actually a thing

yapo.jpg

yapo1.jpg

yapo2.jpg

Yep. Not only is it a "thing", but it was originally a Chrysler "fix", as you can see from the illustration
you've got there.

It's only required if you've taken off the coupler cover and can't get it back on. It's hard to get the tabs bent over and to get the cover to sit properly.
I managed to get mine back on with a bit of tapping and manipulation.

So it's only to retain the cover over the rubber bush not so much a safety thing ?

So it's only to retain the cover over the rubber bush not so much a safety thing ?
Again, yep. As Sat 66 said, it's a biyotch sometimes to get the guts of the coupling back together
with those silly little tab thingies, especially if they're old...
That said, it obviously was enough of a problem at the dealer level at one time that Chrysler felt
the need to come up with the retainer to begin with, eh?

Anyone know when they introduced the clip? None of my 67s had one when I got them so I never knew about them until seeing them on this forum.

Anyone know when they introduced the clip? None of my 67s had one when I got them so I never knew about them until seeing them on this forum.
Mopar Dodge Chrysler Plymouth Technical Service Bulletin No. D69-19-4 for all vehicles using the 3 inch overall length
steering coupler whenever the steering column or steering box was "disturbed for any reason."
This was due to the tendency and frequency of the crimped on steering coupler seal cover to come loose whenever
the cover was crimped on outside the factory.
Many cars were coming back to the dealership for service and the technicians were having a difficult time securing
the seal cover to coupler due to the small retaining tabs.
This created an unsafe condition and allowed the seal to come loose and grit and water to enter the coupler.

Been a long time since seeing one of those clips......

As has been pointed out it was introduced as a "fix" for service techs that couldn't get the seal retainer plate to stay in place.

Not a single car left the production line wearing one TTBOMK.

And I would highly recommend that you put the clip on, it's not difficult to snap on.

They are all over eBay - part number is 2996935.
Very inexpensive.

Yep, it is a thing alright. Got them on all my cars and they work great. DMT, or Mega Parts (who resells the DMT model). I had tried a couple from Ebay previously, but had to modify them to work as well as DMT's.

after I installed a borgeson box I rebuilt the coupler but could never get the cap to stay on so i got one from DMT also

As has been pointed out it was introduced as a "fix" for service techs that couldn't get the seal retainer plate to stay in place.

Not a single car left the production line wearing one TTBOMK.
Had to look that one up lol

Auto Transport Service
Back