• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this water pump original?

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:40 PM
Reaction score
Today we replaced the water pump on my 69 charger with a 440hp (crappy 4-5 hour job without removing the radiator) and this is the old water pump which was leaking.

Is this the original one and if so can it be rebuilt?
Otherwise it goes straight into the trash.

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

4 to 5 hours. It would go quicker without the boxing gloves on.[lol]. Number gurus might be able to tell you if its original. If you are keeping it a 100 points car I am sure there are rebuilders. In todays world it would be cheaper and quicker to replace it.

4 to 5 hours. It would go quicker without the boxing gloves on.[lol].

Its not possible to do this job with boxing gloves at all. :D

If you are keeping it a 100 points car I am sure there are rebuilders. In todays world it would be cheaper and quicker to replace it.

Well i already did replace it with a new gates one and still got an nos space.
Yet if its original to the car and rebuildable i will keep it.

Its a nice original unrestored survivor. :)

Nobody in the know?

Since there is no pentastar on it and searching "J158 water pump", "mopar J158" etc. does not turn up any results i tend to believe its not original.

But i would like to be sure before getting rid of it.

Older style cast impeller. Might have cast number under it. Can be rebuilt, but probably not what someone looking for were having outside markings might be more important.

Today we replaced the water pump on my 69 charger with a 440hp (crappy 4-5 hour job without removing the radiator) and this is the old water pump which was leaking.

Is this the original one and if so can it be rebuilt?
Otherwise it goes straight into the trash.

View attachment 1296162

View attachment 1296163

The bolt holes on the impeller are of the old style and not the slotted ones used on aftermarket. It looks like a old casting too.....so, yes sir.....it probably is. They can be rebuilt, and even if you do replace it.....save the old one....they are getting very rare.

Ill ask the obvious question...why 4-5 hours??

Well maybe i was exaggerating a bit.
This time includes removing the car cover, finding the parts, getting the tools out, installing the battery etc.
It was the first time i wrenched on a car this year.

But still i dont know how you want to do this below 2-3 hours.
Because if you take the radiator out it takes longer and if you don't (which i did) it makes you hate life.

Maybe it was extra complicated because the fan shroud does not really fit the current radiator and its a mess to get that on and off.

Today i looked at the pump again and there are casting numbers i have not seen before because you can barely read them.

The most important i think reads 2402921 which is a legit mopar number so the pump seems to be original.
Look and mileage (90k documented) also support that.

That means i will keep it.

If i should decide to get it rebuilt: Who does a good job with that?
I obviously would want this exact pump back if i should send it in because its original to the car.

weren't water pumps a "core return" part back in the day? ......Geeeze, I can't remember

I do not think that impeller style is original for a 69 440 HP. It would have been stamped steel.

Home He rebuilt my original last year. I was pleased with the work!

Auto Transport Service
Back