• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Isky ductile iron rockers

Mpdave391

Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
I have a couple sets of the Isky ductile iron rockers
I put a set on my 440 so I can measure for pushrods but they don’t line up right on the top of the valve. Am I missing something or do I have to modify the hold down.

IMG_2283.jpeg

IMG_2284.jpeg

IMG_2285.jpeg

Isky rockers were designed for the pre 64 head. Heads with cast in rocker stands will need some attention.

Idk
I can pull the part number but they are stock cast iron heads to my knowledge anyways

Interesting. So I took a look at some iskys I have here, low and behold, the hold downs are indeed ground to fit.
20240313_122651.jpg

These are Cranes but I "modified" the hold downs and also used spacers, washers and shims. I don't remember the clearance needed anymore between each set.
20160615_174447.jpg

20160615_174611.jpg

I only recall having to grind down the two tabs on the larger spacers but that was quite some time ago...

They make various size shims to push the rockers over...takes time and patience

IMG_20240313_145426857.jpg

You need to grind the hold down tabs off. The lower portion of the rocker body may contact the cast pedestals. Use a thin shim between the rocker and pedestal and hold down. It will be close enough then.

Last edited:
I modified the rockers.
Machined them down to be the same width as the Cranes.

Either way will get the job done.

The Iskys I had were shimmed and the springs were not used. Also the rockers had a hardened pad at the tip and were wider than those or Cranes. I also used 440 Source hold downs. Old school with a solid cam good to 7500 and bullet proof.

I've machined quite a few sets of Isky's I intentionally cut them slightly narrow so I can use a shim between the rocker & the rocker stand... I made a simple jib for my lathe so I can knock out a full set in fifteen minutes....

Lets clear up some of the BS. The valve spacing & rocker stand spacing was the same for all production heads from 1958 onwards. The width of the early alum block style shaft hold downs is the same as the later pressed steel hold downs.
The listing in the Isky catalogue says their ductile rockers fit all B/RB heads.

The rockers in post #1 look nothing like the rockers in my Isky Catalogue. Did they change the design?

I only recall having to grind down the two tabs on the larger spacers but that was quite some time ago...
Maybe you're thinking about the 2 outer tabs that don't have to be ground off.

The rockers in post #1 look nothing like the rockers in my Isky Catalogue. Did they change the design?
There were three versions.. Early had round hardened wear pads, second version had wide wear pads both of those look similar to what is posted above (the ones above are version 2) & the third version which is probably what your catalog shows came out around the early 90's looks like it's a reboxed Crane rocker except it has Isky cast into the body... In fact the ones Krysler Kid posted are Cranes..

I have a couple sets of the Isky ductile iron rockers
I put a set on my 440 so I can measure for pushrods but they don’t line up right on the top of the valve. Am I missing something or do I have to modify the hold down.
Factory hold downs are a bit crude. I used aftermarket ones then filed them for better alignment

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_5040.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back