• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Isky or Crane Rockers

mala

Local time
1:24 PM
Reaction score
I have two set of ductile rockers for BB, Crane and Isky. The Isky is the rough and heavy one of the two. Which one is the "best" one for a street/strip engine with a SFT cam?

Bild 2022-08-20 kl. 11.14.jpg

Bild 2022-08-20 kl. 11.14 (1).jpg

In another post, someone mentioned that Crane's qc was non existent just before and after the company was sold. Seems the units were soft were they meet the valve tips. Get them both Rockwell tested for hardness there. Didn't hear anything negative about Isky, but what the heck.

just before and after the company was sold. Seems the units were soft were they meet the valve tips.

This is funny ... back in '74 or '75 a friend had a 383 with Cranes ... there was close to an 1/8" groove worn in each rocker tip. So the sale of the company had nothing to do with QC !!

I just bought (today) a set of Iskys that do not appear to have ever been run - ZERO wear in the bores - no evidence of ever being on a shaft! ZERO wear on either side where they would rub a holddown, pedestal or spacer. And ZERO evidence of any use on the pads. The downside ... missing one rocker which has been replaced with a Crane roller. Don't need them but just couldn't walk away without them.

Last edited:
Might be the angle, but one set looks smaller [ small block? ]. I would use the Crane because:
- The Iskys are overly large at the valve tip, adding unnecessary weight for the springs to control.
- The Crane has a wider web where the prod section meets the main body, adding strength in a critical area. Going by the pics.

Both sets have no sign of wear. A friend bought the Cranes in the early -90 and hi seldom fires that engine up.
I go with Geoff 2 here, Crane looks more well thought out of the two.

In another post, someone mentioned that Crane's qc was non existent just before and after the company was sold. Seems the units were soft were they meet the valve tips. Get them both Rockwell tested for hardness there. Didn't hear anything negative about Isky, but what the heck.
I too would use the iskys, the wear pad is a much better more durable design

Use the Cranes... Send me the Iskys... I'll dispose of them for ya.... Iskys aren't perfect, typically need machine work to narrow the area that rides on the shaft so the tips center on the valves... They are bulky at the valve end which can interfere with short valve covers, you ned to either modify the baffles in the valve covers, use aftermarket valve covers or use valve cover spacers... That bulkiness also makes then able to handle very high spring pressure without failing... The Iskys are bullet proof once properly set up... BTW those wear pads that contact the valve tips are hardened... As are the adjuster screws...

The Cranes have metallurgy issues with soft adjusters, soft valve contact areas & galling to the shafts...

If they are older cranes.......pre 2000 you should be fine. My set is from the early 80s and they are still in great shape. I run spacers not springs.

IMG_5040.JPG

typically need machine work to narrow the area that rides on the shaft so the tips center on the valves
Nah .. you just need to trim the little tabs off the stock hold downs and they fit fine.

regardless of which the OP uses, be sure to use a thin shim between the rockers and the pedestals or you'll end up with iron filings in your oil pan !!

And FWIW, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using the springs on the shafts between the rockers instead of spacers. Hell, they were used on every Gen I and Gen II hemi !! And the bonus is you don't have to dick around shimming for side clearance !!

If they are older cranes.......pre 2000 you should be fine. My set is from the early 80s and they are still in great shape. I run spacers not springs.

View attachment 1331730
What is the visual difference between the pre- 2000 Crane rockers and the newer ones? Not sure which ones I have.

crane sucks for big block mopar with any sort of higher lift cam ! i went thru 2 sets in about 10 mins of running a new motor , junk ! bought Harlan Sharp and 10yrs later no issues !

I'd go with the Iskys. Unless this is an all out race motor the extra weight is a non issue. If it is an all out race motor then you shouldn't be considering either of those !! If you go with the Iskys, use the lighter springs from the Crane set !!

Lucky me. I apparently got the only three good sets Crane ever made. Not to mention those that I know that used them for years on some pretty serious stuff.

Crane products were always high quality. Seriously doubt that Crane rockers failed because of something Crane did.

Crane products were always high quality. Seriously doubt that Crane rockers failed because of something Crane did.
Ok get this , to add more to my failed Crane rockers , twice upon start up ! I called Crane and talked to a gentleman that was in charge of the hardening process and apologized to me saying that they had some problems with the hardening process and that Iust have got some of those that had escaped their quality control and he said he'd send me another set ASAP , to which he did .My machine shop that I use had suspected that it was a hardening issue , Superior Machine , of Reno NV , and Oggie is knows his **** ! So anyway I installed the new set they sent me ......... and they went south just as fast as the first set ! Got my $ back on the first set and thru the second set away I'm the garbage can ! Took the $ from my returned set plus added some more $ and bought Harlan Sharp roller rockers , with no adjustment to anything applicable to this situation and "bamb" , No issues, and yrs later still No Issues ! So I'm thinking ....
"Cranes Fault " not mine , any questions call them ! That's My story and I'm sticking to it !

Ok get this , to add more to my failed Crane rockers , twice upon start up ! I called Crane and talked to a gentleman that was in charge of the hardening process and apologized to me saying that they had some problems with the hardening process and that Iust have got some of those that had escaped their quality control and he said he'd send me another set ASAP , to which he did .My machine shop that I use had suspected that it was a hardening issue , Superior Machine , of Reno NV , and Oggie is knows his **** ! So anyway I installed the new set they sent me ......... and they went south just as fast as the first set ! Got my $ back on the first set and thru the second set away I'm the garbage can ! Took the $ from my returned set plus added some more $ and bought Harlan Sharp roller rockers , with no adjustment to anything applicable to this situation and "bamb" , No issues, and yrs later still No Issues ! So I'm thinking ....
"Cranes Fault " not mine , any questions call them ! That's My story and I'm sticking to it !
When was that?

When was that?
My guess around 2000, cause thats when I started hearing about soft adjusters/metallurgy issues... There was plenty posted online in that time frame..

Got a Prostock dirt motor in My Chevy wagon built by Superior-Oggie. Like the Energizer bunny keeps going and going. And yes Isky over Crane all day.

Auto Transport Service
Back