• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iso bushings - solid or poly?

Iso bushings - solid or poly?

• Solid Bushings

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Poly Bushings

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

Montclaire

Local time
2:20 AM
Reaction score
I have seen replacement iso bushings offered in both solid and poly, which do you prefer? I had a 78 Monaco years ago, and I have to say it did ride nice. Of course that was on much younger rubber bushings. Am I giving up too much with the poly? The solid bushings are obviously the quickest route to better response but I don't want a hay cart, either. Thanks

[
I recently replaced my bushes with poly. The ride is much firmer and the car handles so much better. I certainly would not go for solids, too much in my opinion. There is not much movement in the poly

I went with Solid but have not yet driven the car a lot as Im still working on her. My Kbushings are aluminum and the torsion bushings are steel. I will be replacing the rubber bushings in the axle contraptions fabricated in aluminum as well.

My thought was this... 73 was the first year for ISOlated bushings and they were intoduced (as fas as I've read) to reduce road noise and create a smoother ride. But all A and B to 72 had none of that crap and drove and road just fine.

My hopes and from what I've read on the subject is to expect a more responsive ride with out as much slop. I dont care much for the road noise aspect as my A body is fine and the Bbody is too loud to hear road noise anyway! lol

why not to make more comfortable the ride no matter if earlier years weren't isolated ? poly ( althought I kept rubber )

I went with solid bushings on an F body (Volare) and had no issues. I would go solid. If you think about it, 72 and down are solid.

I went with the poly bushings as well. im glad I did, very nice ride. I think the solids are overkill unless you are using them in conjunction with a fully built front end or road racing

I suppose Nacho, I just didnt like the feeling I was driving the responsivenes of a boat... even though it is by todays standards lol

My 73 is the first ISO car I've had.

There is a night and day difference between it and all the others.

The body roll is outrageous...even with aftermarket front and rear sway bars.

I really miss the "go cart" handling of my 66-70 B body cars.

I don't remember the ride being harsh at all.

I got a good deal on poly K frame bushings, so I'll go with those first...and I'll probably be swapping my rear axle and shock plates with '72 parts.

If that's not enough, I'll see about solid K frame mounts.

I put solids in my 73 SSP. It was fine. If the ride is too harsh, old cars are probably not for you.

The body roll is outrageous...even with aftermarket front and rear sway bars.

I hear ya! This year I'm adding a rear sway bar while dealing with my rear suspension to help reduce that.

As an additional note, I'm also hoping that the solids on the K will help reduce body flex by even more solidly tying the front frame rails together. I find the flex in the ISO equipped BBody cars excessive to say the least. The smaller F, J & M cars arnt as bad for that but the B & Rbodys, yikes. Just my opinion of course.

ok, maybe is because Streets around me are not in good conditions that I preffer to keep isolated

I still maintain that poly is fine. Mine can be thrown around corners way more than my old Dart. However, my car is a 340 and maybe the big blocks roll around more. Mine seems nicely balanced. I also have 60 series tyres which is another aspect to consider when addressing body roll.

The LCA bump stop seems flymsly in my energy suspension kit compared to the other stuff... anyone make a good one ?

I have a 67 with an unbushed/direct-fit K-member and it rides just fine and is nicely responsive to steering. You're just adding mush to your car if you use anything but solid bushings.

Auto Transport Service
Back