• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's finally happening!

I'm getting anxious to get some new heads ordered, and Todd from Marsh Performance hasn't had a chance to get back to me. Have the problems with the Stealth heads been corrected? Do they still need to have the locks and retainers replaced and has the quality control improved so they really could be bolted on after a quick inspection at the machine shop? I'm going to take the old 516 heads over there today to see if the valve springs might have been replaced with the camshaft during the last rebuild. Would you reuse the camshaft and valve springs if they were good?

We still use 5-10 sets of Stealth Heads per year at our shop, mostly for our 'resto' underhood appearance type Engine builds, NOT aware of any problems with Stealth's other than they must be dis-assembled/Checked/ re-Lubed..... which we always upgrade to 10* Locks & Retainers while we are in there and you should as well !
We would never re-use a "used" Camshaft supplied to us with no known personal continuity as we are a Shop and Dyno ever Engine we Machine/Build before it leaves, far too much Customer liability for us..... that said. as long as YOU personally are confident you "indexed" the Lifters to their Lobes, and you can put them back on their same Lobes during re-assembly ? then that's your call

We still use 5-10 sets of Stealth Heads per year at our shop, mostly for our 'resto' underhood appearance type Engine builds, NOT aware of any problems with Stealth's other than they must be dis-assembled/Checked/ re-Lubed..... which we always upgrade to 10* Locks & Retainers while we are in there and you should as well

That is all excellent information and very appreciated! I’m planning to get a complete Comp Cams kit with cam, lifters, springs, locks, retainers and timing set so I have all of that covered. If I go with the Stealths, I’ll have the machine shop check them out and install the new hardware. I’d hoped to hear back from Todd at Marsh Performance about getting a set of Sidewinders, but I’m in a bit of a time crunch and might have to go with the Stealths.

That is all excellent information and very appreciated! I’m planning to get a complete Comp Cams kit with cam, lifters, springs, locks, retainers and timing set so I have all of that covered. If I go with the Stealths, I’ll have the machine shop check them out and install the new hardware. I’d hoped to hear back from Todd at Marsh Performance about getting a set of Sidewinders, but I’m in a bit of a time crunch and might have to go with the Stealths.

The Comp Cams 'Kits' that include everything including matched V/Springs etc may NOT be compatible V/Spring installed height for the Stealth Heads as the Cast Iron Heads the Kits are intended for..... only had a V/Spring installed Height target of 1.875", and could result in far too much V/Spring installed seat pressure if applied to the Aluminum STEALTH Heads we typically see in the 1.92 to 1.94" Installed Heights OOTB.
IMO,
you may be better off using the V/Springs already supplied with the Stealth Heads.... and merely upgrading to 10* Retainers/Locks.

Auto Transport Service
Back