• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacking up 67 GTX rear

440Matt

Local time
7:54 AM
Reaction score
This is my first BBody, what is a safe place to jack the 67 GTX up to get the rear wheels off the ground and put it up on large wood blocks. Just don’t want to tweak anything by lifting at the wrong area

Always safe to lift at the torque boxes.

I slip a hydraulic floor jack under the differential and life the entire rear of the Charger all at one time. Easy and quick!!!

Yes jack at the front leaf spring/torque box. On a Plymouth or Coronet it needs to be lifted from on side with the other on the ground to remove the tires, you cannot lift by the rear axle and get the tires off.

A Charger has the radiused wheelwells that will allow you to jack on the rear axle to remove tires.

I’m kind of particular about twisting a car or frame by using just one Jack on the outer frame area. So I use two jacks - one at each front spring hanger/torque box. I leave enough room to place jack stands next to them. If not dealing with tires - then a jack under the differential and jack stands under the axle.

I jack it up using the differential and set my jack stands under the torque boxes if I need to pull the wheels.

Yes jack at the front leaf spring/torque box. On a Plymouth or Coronet it needs to be lifted from on side with the other on the ground to remove the tires, you cannot lift by the rear axle and get the tires off.

A Charger has the radiused wheelwells that will allow you to jack on the rear axle to remove tires.
Thanks for the info
I’m kind of particular about twisting a car or frame by using just one Jack on the outer frame area. So I use two jacks - one at each front spring hanger/torque box. I leave enough room to place jack stands next to them. If not dealing with tires - then a jack under the differential and jack stands under the axle.
i feel the same way, i have two jacks and plan to do this, thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply

1654950574609.png
"I just grab the bumper and pick it up"
1654950777909.png

Hey Matt,... Mentioned previously, a good Hydraulic Floor Jack under the Diff center section gets the tires up in a few handle pumps...Then a pair of good Axle Jack Stands positioned outboard Under the Axle housings work good for me....I bought Sears best 50+ yrs ago & No regrets !! Use the best Lifting tools & work Safe !!

Hey Matt,... Mentioned previously, a good Hydraulic Floor Jack under the Diff center section gets the tires up in a few handle pumps...Then a pair of good Axle Jack Stands positioned outboard Under the Axle housings work good for me....I bought Sears best 50+ yrs ago & No regrets !! Use the best Lifting tools & work Safe !!

This method won’t always work because of the low cut wheelwell on a 66-67 Plymouth and Coronet. It works great on 66-67 Chargers or 68-70 cars.

Last edited:
With taller tires like 275/60/15's on a 68-70 Plymouth B-body, the jackstands need to be placed under the frame or front leaf hangers. The rearend needs to drop to get the tires in and out from the quarters.

You're Right !! ..... It's good to Learn something new every day as most of experience is '68 up & E bodies......Thx for pointing that out ! tom.

Auto Transport Service
Back