• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jason's 68 charger.....sweeter than yoohoo

chryco_psycho

Local time
12:52 AM
Reaction score
i am semi new to this site and wanted to share the restoration of my car with others who will appreciate it, this is what i got so far......

ENGINE
1976 440 BLOCK .030 OVER WITH FORGED STEEL CRANK
ZERO DECKED
KEITH BLACK FLAT HYPEREUTECTIC PISTONS ON CHRYSLER HP RODS
440 SOURCE STEALTH ALUMINUM HEADS 80CC CHAMBER
440 SOURCE ALUMINIUM WATERPUMP AND HOUSING
ALUMINUM RADIATOR WITH DUAL ELECTRIC FANS
DUAL PLANE INTAKE MANIFOLD, EDELBROCK 750 CFM CARB W/ ELEC CHOKE
ORIGINAL MOPAR HP EXHAUST MAINFOLDS
2 ½ MANDREL BENT EXHAUST FROM TTI WITH X PIPE
HUGHES CAM WITH HYDRAULIC LIFTERS
MOPAR PERFORMANCE ELECTRONIC IGNITION
MOPAR PERFORMANCE WINDAGE TRAY
10.9:1 COMPRESSION, 435hp
3/8 FUEL LINE
TRANSMISSION
TREMEC TKO 600 5 SPEED WITH OVERDRIVE
1[SUP]st[/SUP]- 2.87, 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]- 1.89, 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]-1.34, 4[SUP]th[/SUP]-1.0, 5[SUP]th[/SUP]-0.64
PISTOL GRIP SHORT THROW GEARS
BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL
HYDRAULIC CLUTCH
CUSTOM CUT AND BALANCED DRIVESHAFT
SUSPENSION / REAR END
PST SUPER FRONT END POLYURETHANE KIT
PST WELDED LOWER CONTROL ARMS
FULLY WELDED FRAME WITH MOPAR PERFORMANCE FRAME CONNECTORS
SUPER STOCK REAR LEAF SPRINGS WITH MOPAR SHACKLE KIT
BORGESON 14:1 QUICK RATIO STEERING BOX
4 WHEEL DRILLED AND SLOTTED POWER DISC BRAKES
AMERICAN RACING VECTORS 15 X 8 ½ RADIALS FRONT, DRAG RADIALS REAR
8 ¾, 489 CASE SURE GRIP REAR WITH 3:91 GEARS
HIGH TORQUE MINI STARTER

INTERIOR / EXTERIOR
CLASSIC DASH WITH FULL AUTO METER PHANTOM WHITE FACE GAUGES
HIGH BACK RACING BUCKET SEATS W/ 4 POINT HARNESSES
FACTORY A/C CAR REDONE WITH NEW GEN IV VINTAGE AIR KIT
NEW UPHOLSTERY, DASH PAD, CARPET AND DOOR PANELS
GRANT STEERING WHEEL WITH SUICIDE KNOB
FULL VINYL TOP WITH NEW STAINLESS TRIM
MATTE BLACK BUMBLE BEE STRIPES
FACTORY TINTED GLASS
FULL RUBBERIZED UNDERCOATING
LED TAIL/BRAKE LIGHTS
R/T BADGING

- - - Updated - - -

thats how it looked when i got it

- - - Updated - - -

this is how it looks now.....all of the stuff listed is all paid for just waiting to be assembled....like a giant puzzle of awesome

- - - Updated - - -

the tremec and 440

Attachments

• p side.jpg
    p side.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,320
  • 20150408_111640.jpg
    20150408_111640.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,291
  • 20150325_134935.jpg
    20150325_134935.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,295
Welcome to the site. Awesome project you have there - 68's are my favorite. Hope you don't have any issues with 10.9:1 pistons and pump gas. I have 10:1 in both my cars and am right on the borderline with 91 octane. It's kind of a crapshoot if I will get pinging depending on where I fill up.

Jason, your parts and car look great, keep the pics and progress reports comming!

Nice.

TU.jpg

thanks guys. i fell in love with the 2nd gen charger a LOOOONG time ago. this my 2nd one and i am making it just the way i want it....a monster of a daily driver

Welcome to the site. Awesome project you have there - 68's are my favorite. Hope you don't have any issues with 10.9:1 pistons and pump gas. I have 10:1 in both my cars and am right on the borderline with 91 octane. It's kind of a crapshoot if I will get pinging depending on where I fill up.

well if his 440 source heads are like mine, he wont have anywhere near 10.9 to 1 compression. i just got a call from my machine shop saying that all my combustion champers are averaging 91cc...so thats like 9.2 with a flat top piston...he has NOTHING to worry about...lol

i called 440 source yesterday, and they said i had a "defective" set, and would gladly exchage them...but since i have spent over a grand having Hughes CNC port them, they wouldn't reimburse for that, so looks like im heading for the milling machine.

i used to have this motor (as described) in a AWD ramcharger for about a year. it made plenty of power but pinged on regular gas. its my understanding that the 80cc chambers and flat tops would really only be affected (in a small way) by the compression thickness of the head gasket? granted im not a machinist and really only know what the machine shop guy wrote on my build sheet, which is :

KB237 pistons .030 over and -5cc dish
bore: 4.350
stroke: 3.750
deck: -.016
head: 80cc
gasket thickness: .04

which by his calculations gave an exact number BUT it really is more of a mathamatacal range without actually checking each cylinder.

please feel free to check his math and correct anything but if possible show me how it was done so i can try and have a better understanding of all this.....(math wasnt my best subject)

- - - Updated - - -

20150417_133610.jpgon a lighter note, i now have undercoating that probally weighs a quarter of what the old factory coating did.

- - - Updated - - -

Bore: (diameter)4.350 in
Stroke:3.750 in.
Cylinder Head Volume: 80 cc in.
Effective Dome Volume:
[SUP]Use (-) for Dome and (+) for Dish.[/SUP]
+5 cc in.
Deck Clearance:-.016 in.
Compressed Gasket Thickness:.04 in.
Number of Cylinders:8
Compression Ratio :11.05 : 1
Total Displacement (in.[SUP]3[/SUP]) :445.85
Total Displacement cc's :7309.02

just cut and pasted that from summits website compression calculator, now i am questioning myself

my own bumper sticker

Attachments

• 20150419_204359.jpg
    20150419_204359.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 978
  • 20150419_204359.jpg
    20150419_204359.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 993
Last edited:
well, unless you heads were CCed at the machine shop, the math is "theoretical". i found out that mine were 84CCs out of the box, but after the CNC work it opened the cambers up a bit, no worries..

you need to do a cranking cylinder pressure test, if its much above 190 psi, you will have issues on pump gas. you may be able to counter act that by switching a larger cam in to kill off some cylinder pressure. you may lose a bit of bottom end power, but youll pick up on the top end.

i did find that certain makers of gas "disagreed" with this motor like citgo and BP 91 octane. but 76 and sunoco 91 octane were fine. so i stick to what works. didnt have them machined but i imagine your right.

all i know is i am dying to drive this car

- - - Updated - - -

20150420_135322.jpgtrunk, hood and passenger side fit today....bad news is AMD has the driver side fender on backorder til may and the door til june........luckily there is PLENTY of other things to do til then

68 charger gets my vote for E-ticket ride.

about 22 yrs ago when i worked at a dodge dealer in Utah, a guy that used to wrench there in the 60s-80s passed away, his widow came to the parts dept to find some help in selling her husbands stash. One of his cars was a 68 Hemi charger black on black 4 speed...after the new owner spend about a year with it in resto, it was the king ****. deff made me a believer!

keep up the good work.

I used to have a 69 charger SE and inside the trunk was a plastic finish panel that covered up the back of the taillights. is there such a thing for the 1968?

Although the car looks great, I have to point out that I've never tried Yoohoo, or even seen it on a store shelf so I'll take your word that it's sweet. :)

moving along now....got everything primed and ready, hopefully going to paint next month and after that itll be a free for all race to the turkey rod run here in november.

Wow, nice build! I like the direction your going with this one. You should fit that motor and trans before you get to far along, the TKO's are not a true bolt in unit like advertised. I hate constantly telling everybody this but I was so pissed off about the one I put in that I feel like I'd be doing an injustice by not warning. Here's the deal, they do bolt in but leave the tranny pretty low throwing off your driveshaft angles, messing up the fan shroud fit and the exhaust hangs down a little lower. Even though they cut the tranny down it needs to go up even more requiring the torsion bar cross member being reworked. Just take note of where the original output was and compare. Good luck

we fit it already and there is about the distance of a sheet of paper between the floor and top of it. the fans wont be a big deal cause they are dual electric and im hoping the TTI kit can be adjusted prior to being welded in place. the shaft angle.....well i hope i make it out ok on this one cause the rear is beig assembled from parts rather than just doing a swap.

thanks

now we block and sand, block and sand, block and sand, respray primer then block and sand, block and sand.........guess what comes next?

more sand paper!!!!! YAY!!!!

Attachments

• 20150615_133345.jpg
    20150615_133345.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 809
"i am semi new to this site and wanted to share the restoration of my car with others who will appreciate it, this is what i got so far......"

Im a bit late here and it looks like a good project and appears your getting it done up good, Welcome aboard the site and do hope you enjoy the build!!! This is another ill be watching, i do appreciate it! :)

this was my '69 SE...this is the secure garage area of the daytona international speedway

ill get some pics of the 68 in Jr's parking spot when its done

Attachments

• matt and the general.jpg
    matt and the general.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 770
the 400 grit fun has begun!!!!

Attachments

• 20150623_120119.jpg
    20150623_120119.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 742
  • 20150623_120129.jpg
    20150623_120129.jpg