• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jay Leno in hospital

Jay and one of his mechanics/restorers drove his Doble to one of the spring or fall flings, a few (maybe several) years ago. Very self-effacing guy, kind to gawkers, a REAL car guy like us....with a lot more money.
I was having a straight eight head surfaced at Evans speed in El Monte, I asked the machinist "whats that",and pointed to something he was working on. He said "that's a differential for one of Leno's steam cars"
Get well Jay, prayers sent.

Get well Jay! He is a pretty good guy and loves cars. Saw his stand up late 2019, early 2020 and he was very funny.

The fuel system is modified in my Charger. Last winter I had the engine out, so the fuel line was disconnected at the front. Roughly even with the top of the radiator.
The fuel cell is in the trunk, bottom flush with the trunk floor.
I jacked up the rear, and next thing I know fuel is pouring out the line up front. A lot of fuel.
To say I was nervous until I got it cleaned up is an understatement.
A lot of things can happen that we don’t anticipate.

Third degree & needing a skin graft is extremely painful. Here’s what a second degree burn looks like ten years later.

4A2B3ABF-3EE8-419A-8FC4-0E658B392342.jpeg

My third degree burn with the skin graft is on my chest and fortunately, my manly hairy chest hides it.

I really feel for the guy. My skin graft for the 3rd degree was painful as hell, both where the burn is and equally as painful where they peeled the skin from the top of my right thigh. Being on his face and who he is, he'll get top not treatment, but it's going to hurt for a long time. My skin graft was on my hairy chest and I had to wear XXL t-shirts that were loose fitting on me because anything touching the graft hurt. The weirdest feeling was when my chest hairs were growing back having both pain and itching at the same time. I walked around pulling the shirt away from that area for weeks. It'll be just as bad for Jay when whiskers start growing back. My guess is that you'll see him sporting a new beard for a while.

I really feel for the guy. My skin graft for the 3rd degree was painful as hell, both where the burn is and equally as painful where they peeled the skin from the top of my right thigh. Being on his face and who he is, he'll get top not treatment, but it's going to hurt for a long time. My skin graft was on my hairy chest and I had to wear XXL t-shirts that were loose fitting on me because anything touching the graft hurt. The weirdest feeling was when my chest hairs were growing back having both pain and itching at the same time. I walked around pulling the shirt away from that area for weeks. It'll be just as bad for Jay when whiskers start growing back. My guess is that you'll see him sporting a new beard for a while.
Couldn't image how much that HURT.

Couldn't image how much that HURT.

You have no idea. I have a fairly good tolerance for pain, but that whole episode was the worst pain I have ever felt. Whenever I hear of people on the news who have burns over large percentages of their bodies, my heart really goes out to them.

A girl I worked with on my part time job was burned over 90% of her body. She was one of the victims of that RI.dorm fire in Dec 1977. They pulled the plug the day after Christmas.

Back quite a few years ago. I worked at a shop(Quonset) A licensed shop. At one end a fellow removing a fuel tank from a BSA. Way at the opposite end another bodyman fired up a torch. The spark from lighting the torch. Fueled the vapors . Quite a site to see flame travel so fast from so far away. It can happen to anyone at anytime. Be safe guys.

I've had a few episodes with steam related burns on my hands. Bubbled skin, incredible pain but likely nothing like his being 3rd degree. I've also had more than my share of life altering nerve related pain and nerve relocation surgeries - however the other pain occurrence I could easily see living up to and maybe even surpassing would be that of severe burns. When I hear of that inflicted on people my heart also goes out to them.

Jay is THE ONLY late night guy since the torch was passed from the old timers, to maintain and uphold the profession's standards at a high level. I too feel he's the last of the breed of true entertainers in his category and a top shelf human being along with that. In short Leno is indeed one of US - One of the good guys. I hope his recovery goes as well as possible and when complete he's back to 100% with little to no disfigurement. God Speed Jay!

Last edited:
One of the guys in my (tiny) high-school class had severe burn scars. I don't know if he talked about them, but I never found out what happened. Another guy that I worked with also had some nasty burn scars. He got em when his front motored top fuel car blew a motor and doused him in burning oil.
(Got a free dragster chassis from him, never did anything with it.)

I'm sure he had all of his medical staff in stitches the whole time...lol. Pun intended,..

Managed a smile and was nice enough to pose with staff.
Glad he’s doing ok.

Glad to see him recovering. I remember when Howard Stern was shitting on him for hiring Stuttering John. Look who turned out to be the festering *** boil. :D

Auto Transport Service
Back