• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jeep Wranglers

GetX'd

Making Life Great Again!
Local time
5:52 AM
Reaction score
Guys - I’m entranced by the new Jeep,Wrangler Sport sitting in my local Costco. It’s loaded and if looks could kill. MSRP is $49.5k as it sits then I assume some Costco discount or my own ability to tighten down a better price at a dealer. The question I have is quality of vehicle. I would never buy the very nice looking Jeep SUV because of its known poor track record. Is the Wrangler any different? I don’t need it - but I recently rented one in Denali National Park in AK and like it. This particular one is much nicer and more optioned. What are your thoughts on the quality of the vehicle itself?

My thoughts on a Jeep are ….

Thor Meh | Funny gif, Facial expressions, Funny

if you like it that’s all that matters !
Not true - I love Jaguars but would never buy one for the simple reason theyre junk w/great styling. That could be the same with the wranglers. Sure I like the styling and off road aspects - but are they quality stand-up vehicles? That’s the question. I love a lot of the Benz and BMW Suvs - but they’re not good mechanicAl vehicles. If I bought a Wrangler it has to have both sides of the equation. That’s why I’m asking the Mopar brain trust. So far no one seems to have an opinion. Is that telling … I don’t know.

Guys - I’m entranced by the new Jeep,Wrangler Sport sitting in my local Costco. It’s loaded and if looks could kill. MSRP is $49.5k as it sits then I assume some Costco discount or my own ability to tighten down a better price at a dealer. The question I have is quality of vehicle. I would never buy the very nice looking Jeep SUV because of its known poor track record. Is the Wrangler any different? I don’t need it - but I recently rented one in Denali National Park in AK and like it. This particular one is much nicer and more optioned. What are your thoughts on the quality of the vehicle itself?
GetXed,
I can speak from experience. Buy a CJ
and sink that 49K that's burning a hole
in your pocket into something no one
else has.
P.S. The chicks really dig it and it's got
a V-8....
image005-1.jpg

GetXed,
I can speak from experience. Buy a CJ
and sink that 49K that's burning a hole
in your pocket into something no one
else has.
P.S. The chicks really dig it and it's got
a V-8....
View attachment 1559734
Hey thx for replying - it seems no one else seems to have anything for me. Your ride looks pretty sweet. A V8 yet - I‘m thinking you can do vertical climbs with that puppy. But sorry no can do. If I bought a jeep it would be doing double duty - replacing my wife’s 03 Lexus as a drive to work vehicle as well as a fun mobile. Got to think of more than just myself w/this one. Your CJ looks much like one my brother bought sometime in the eighties I think.
Back to the jeeps in general - what’s your thoughts on the mechanical reliability of these things - new ones? Good or not so good? Anything I guy in the know has I’ll take….

Hey thx for replying - it seems no one else seems to have anything for me. Your ride looks pretty sweet. A V8 yet - I‘m thinking you can do vertical climbs with that puppy. But sorry no can do. If I bought a jeep it would be doing double duty - replacing my wife’s 03 Lexus as a drive to work vehicle as well as a fun mobile. Got to think of more than just myself w/this one. Your CJ looks much like one my brother bought sometime in the eighties I think.
Back to the jeeps in general - what’s your thoughts on the mechanical reliability of these things - new ones? Good or not so good? Anything I guy in the know has I’ll take….
The newest I've owned was an '06
Rubicon 4.0.
R1- 1.jpg
It was a good reliable Jeep. Regular
replacement of parts that wear out
during normal course of use.
I'm a Jeep enthusiasts and would
place my faith on buying a new one
based on past experiences. I've,
myself, considered purchasing a
Rubicon Gladiator.
The back seat of the Rubicon never
saw any use.
I've read pro's and con's about the
newer Jeeps, but you'll get the same
praises or dislikes with any new car
on the market today.
With my love of the brand, I'd say go
for it. Jeeps, like Harleys, hold their
values well.

I've said it many times, my only regret of buying my Jeep is that I didn't buy one many years ago. A Jeep is an entirely different driving experience , very fun to own.
20210423_150752.jpg

I’ve rented them & I have worked on them. They are like anything else but topless is more fun! They are a solid in my book, they do better then most 4X4s too, just make sure you option it with a limited slip rear and not an open. Jeep folks are very loyal and they have great resale value ,a bronco could only dream of.

So I'll chime in here because of a driving experience I had, although I'm not sure how well it answers your question.

My wife and I were at a resort called Nemacolin for our anniversary. We did a Jeep Experience where we drove some rough off road terrain, including large rocks, 3 foot deep water as well as very steep climbs. The jeeps we drove were stated to be stock Rubicons except for wheels and a 1" lift.

I was blown away by the Jeep's ability. It was so much fun I have lusted for one ever since. These Jeeps were extremely capable off road vehicles and handled anything we threw at them, almost with boredom! There was one point where a dirt path went what seemed to me to be damn near vertical. I looked at the instructor and asked if I should really try to go up the steep slope. He just said do it! And the Jeep climbed it like it was nothing.

Now I can't tell you how comfortable they would be on a long highway trip or as a daily driver. Unfortunately, I can't either give you any personal experience as to their mechanical durability. But these Jeeps were used daily, in tough conditions. I asked the instructor if they had issues with the Jeeps, and he said no (this is where he told me about them being stock except the wheels and small lift).

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that if you get one, you need to use it and enjoy it for its off road capabilities. This is where they shine!

20180423_102116(0).jpg

I stated in the other Jeep thread that there is no comparison for it's off road capabilities as purchased. It it one of only a few full body on frame SUV's left. I have not owned one newer than a 2017 and only had it for a couple of years. I was not happy with the 6 speed manual, no problems with it but the gearing was off. 1st way too low, 2nd too high to start in, 5th and 6th were useless. Other than that it was flawless. I returned back to a 95 YJ for my Jeep fix.

FYI- "Sport" is actually the base model and won't hold resale value as well as the upper models.

We’ve had 3 Grand Cherokees, no problems really, one coil and one starter. About 4 years ago the little lady said she wanted a Wrangler. I told her it was a totally different than the GC. We rented one for a week so she could see what I was talking about. She realized it wasn’t what she wanted. It drives and rides much different. My neighbor has had only Wranglers forever, as a daily, and he loves them. He does take his off-road and his son has the one he owned prior to his current one, which is a 17. I hope this helps, it’s the best I can do.

I have a 2015 JGC and a 1994 XJ love both , XJ is for off road. XJ has 200,000 miles and runs like champ , JGC has the 5.7 with almost 100000 miles and has been very reliable.

The true "jeep" driving position is totally NOT car or truck like in any way.

...Nor is the entire "experience", really.

I would take a CJ-7 six cyl, or 304, manual trans, any day of the week.

Auto Transport Service
Back