• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim's Auto Parts Experience

Jarran

Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
I recently ordered a new set of hinges for my '72 Charger from Jim's (jimsautoparts.com) and to their credit I received them way ahead of when they were scheduled to arrive, but upon opening the box and looking at the hinges I could see that one upper hinge was different, it did not close down as far as the others. Now being an inexperienced person when it comes to restoring an old car (this is my first one) I thought maybe that's jus how it is and it will work out when I mounted them up, so I go ahead and mount them up, and lo and behold the door doesn't shut, so I tried putting it on the other side, no surprise, it doesn't shut either, so I thought maybe it's me messing up the install and things aren't aligned right, so I take it down to the dodge dealer by my house. They told me that the hinge is defective and that's why it's not closing. So I call Jim's and tell them my problem and they said ok go ahead and send it back, but they wouldn't let me just send the defective hinge I had to send back the whole kit, oh and here's the real kicker, they told me I had to fedex it to them because they dont receive USPS, so I paid the $42 that it was to fedex it to them. I hear nothing for 3 weeks, so I called back today to ask what's going on and I was told that nothing was wrong with the part so I only received a partial discount (minus shipping and a 20% restocking fee) and that I would not be receiving another part because "they are mass produced so they are all exactly the same" I asked to speak to a manager and the customer service person said that they weren't there and that she didn't know when they would be in (I even asked not just for today, but for the week) all in all they were very rude and seemed to think that nothing when it is made in big quantities can have a defective piece or two, I am now out around $100 for this whole venture and I still need to go out and buy new hinges, costly lesson, but worth learning, I will never be buying anything from them again

Another pissed off Jim's customer......imagine that! Sorry to here about your spat with old crooked Jimbo's

Those people are like the plague (in my opinion and others that have been posted here in the past...)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your mishap, I'll add them to my list of people not to do business with.

BTW do you have your original hinges? I had mine rebuilt and painted, seems if I remember right for about half of the cost of new ones.

Do a search for hinges on this site. Someone here is rebuilding them.

I had the worst experience with Jims auto parts. Everything was wrong on the order, sent me a bullshit catalog and charged me big money on it.
The lady who answered the phone was a complete rude ***.
I lost that number and tell everyone that they suck.

Every time I see the name Jim's Auto Parts, I know its not going to be a good story.
They are the biggest scammers in the business. One day It will catch up to them.That lady that answers the phone I believe is his mother. A real piece of ****!

Every time I see the name Jim's Auto Parts, I know its not going to be a good story.
They are the biggest scammers in the business. One day It will catch up to them.That lady that answers the phone I believe is his mother. A real piece of ****!

Yah she was the rudest person I have ever dealt with, I just could not believe that they run a business this way, I had a simple request and it could have been fixed by just replacing the defective hinge, instead of dealing with all this, but she seriously sat there and argued and told me I was the one doing it wrong, or saying that my car must be garbage because the hinge did not fit. Simply unbelievable.

Yes it was the upper hinge, and yes there was only one bad one, the metal where the hinge comes together in the center was slightly bent and did not line up right like the others

All these people should be reported to better business bureau ive had to do myself one in particular was just a model car kit that isint as important as restoring a car but important to someone on disability who cant get out much as before. They helped only in that they are reported as of now. dales internet hobbies, don't buy anything from them. cashed my check and that was a year ago... NOTHING.. BBB tried and couldn't get my money back but there is a lot of people they got, I was the first to actually call and report them. 37.00 bucks isint much today but its a lot to me. id suggest you all report these people, at least others can be warned and save them some grief. I restore cars, just for myself now and about done even myself doing them. but waiting for real parts and then getting bad ones or not getting them at all is unacceptable. Ron

Do a search for hinges on this site. Someone here is rebuilding them.

Yep I rebuild them for a bit cheaper then Bob does, and I do the uppers as well unlike Bob.
Let me know if I can be of service.
I would also recommend on the lowers switching to the latter style with the rollers unlike what you have now with the springs. The spring ones tend to break more easily then the roller style.

See here for my add

Hope we have the same Jims auto parts.Seems to be more than one .I looked for a power steering cap for a federal pump ,and he has some listed for $150.00 ,not sure about the shipping ,i know that is crazy ,just for the cap.

Jims must of changed because i bought some good stuff around 2004 from them and they had the stuff i needed at the time and it all fit well . Im sorry u had a bad experiance . It allways scares me when i order stuff over the phone and give out my info to compleate strangers . in the back of my mind i always say i hope this person is honest and does not screw me over on this .

Dang, what a bummer. I almost ordered something from them but I got some bad reviews from another forum so I decided not to. I got the top hinge from Year one a year or so ago and had no issues with them.....

A~

I think R/T specialties and also Megaparts might sell new hinges for $40-$60 and I have heard good things about them. Sorry about Jims that place does blow! We should report these places to the BBB for sure!!

Auto Transport Service
Back