• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joe Dirt sold his Daytona!

SteveSS

Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
At the Kissimmee auction in early 2023 a 1969 Hemi Daytona sold for 1.43 Mil. This is the one that was owned by David Spade. It's Copper Mettalic said to be the only one with the white wing and stipe. It's also the lowest mileage Hemi Daytona with a 4-speed. Only 6,490 miles.

I think he sold it back in 2017, a couple of years after he bought it. Price has gone up since then...

The car changed hands a few times before it recently sold for the 1.43 million with fees. My friend was driving it across the stage at the last auction it was in. His wife was driving the 71 Hemi Charger R/T Sunroof car.

Cars like that aren’t interesting to me at all. It’s nothing more than a “piece” in someone’s collection, never to be driven or seen but in pictures or behind a rope. Boring. :D

Cars like that aren’t interesting to me at all. It’s nothing more than a “piece” in someone’s collection, never to be driven or seen but in pictures or behind a rope. Boring. :D
At that level, it’s no longer a car, but a piece of lower end modern art, which doesn’t push my buttons either.

I agree,but considering that back in the late 70s when I got into this hobby,none of these cars were really worth any money, and were deemed to be expendable, not collectable it's nice to see prime examples them commanding top dollar as collector cars 50 years later!

Last edited:
If I had the money, and I mean big money, I would buy cars like this and proceed to beat the crap out of them. I really don’t care about the perceived monetary value of cars, the real value is in the enjoyment of driving them.

If I had the money, and I mean big money, I would buy cars like this and proceed to beat the crap out of them. I really don’t care about the perceived monetary value of cars, the real value is in the enjoyment of driving them.
Yep. Just like the (televised) demolition derby I once watched that had a new Rolls Royce in it.

In NHOA newsletter a guy in early 80's a White Hemi Cuda vert $5500. Bought my 66 Satellite in 1978 for $500.

Last edited:
I agree,but considering that back in the late 70s when I got into this hobby,none of these cars were really worth any money, and were deemed to be expendable, not collectable it's nice to see prime examples them commanding top dollar as collector cars 50 years later!
My wife thought I was an idiot when I bought the first GTX for $1500 in 1977. The current market has made me look like a savant.
70 GTX.jpg

Hemi Daytona, 4 speed is far too cool for anyone from Hollyweird anyway.

The article listed three different owners but it didn't specify who owned it at the 2023 auction.

The article listed three different owners but it didn't specify who owned it at the 2023 auction.
It was part of the Gary Edwards collection of wing cars, Mopar Collector's Guide did a feature on him before the auction. Caught my interest because I was going to consign one of my cars, until I sold it here. I attended the auction anyhow, as I had already made travel arrangements. Extremely strong prices relative to actual condition on all the B bodies I looked at.

Auto Transport Service
Back