• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reality Check: The Collector-Car Market Has Reached Correction Territory

I’m in them for the enjoyment and I’ll make sure each kid gets one to remember me by ...that’s it . I’ll have a stash to maintain them and keep them alive that will go with them...

Test drove one like this, it was triple-black 4-speed. How long ago was this? The dealer wanted $2,200 for it.
It is one of my top five favorites.

View attachment 1564728
I had two buddies back in the day when we all had a muscle car. One guy had this exact ride except his was a GT350 vs 500. The other guy had one as well only it was a GT500 fastback all black as well inside and out. Both of those cars were absolute rock stars. The guy with the ragtop 350’s dad made him sell it because he missed a payment - I think it went for $1,300. The other fastback 500 my other buddy had - he sold to a chick that had to much family wealth for her own good. She ruined the car in less than a year. When my buddy had it - he had Cragars on it. I bought them from him for my X. I think he then put keystones on the Shelby. Those wheels were my first step at upgrading the X and they looked so sweet I bought brand new ones when I did the ground up.

he then put keystones on the Shelby
Soon after getting the new Challenger, the fugly hubcaps had to go for Keystones w/ 60 series tires. Photo was in ’74 at the end of my folk’s driveway. Still lived with my folks or the purchase of a new car and the wheels wouldn’t have happened, yet. Had to keep the butt higher than I preferred to clear the tires. Later obtained a set of Magnums and radial tires removing the air shocks. My brother wanted the Keystones and tires putting them on his ’69 Ranchero and forgot to pay me for them. Reminded him of this a few years ago, lol. He said the statute of limitations expired.

Dodge Challenger (2).jpg

Soon after getting the new Challenger, the fugly hubcaps had to go for Keystones w/ 60 series tires. Photo was in ’74 at the end of my folk’s driveway. Still lived with my folks or the purchase of a new car and the wheels wouldn’t have happened, yet. Had to keep the butt higher than I preferred to clear the tires. Later obtained a set of Magnums and radial tires removing the air shocks. My brother wanted the Keystones and tires putting them on his ’69 Ranchero and forgot to pay me for them. Reminded him of this a few years ago, lol. He said the statute of limitations expired.

View attachment 1565161
That is how a proper Mopar muscle car should look! It completely baffles me why people are putting those stupid looking dog dish hubcaps on every effing one I see these days! They are emasculating the Mopar muscle cars and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Are they afraid that people might get offended by the cars toxic masculinity? Are they afraid that the me too mob is going to come after them for the girl they took in the backseat in 1983? I just don't understand it,and the ones with those crappy wheels no one would have been seen in public sporting aren't bringing the money they did when they had decent wheels on them. There was a nice yellow Challenger R/T at the MCACN show that would have looked fantastic with a nice set of 15x7 rallye wheels on it,but instead they put those stupid looking painted yellow wheels on it with goofy looking dork dish hubcaps that looked like they belong on a taxicab totally ruining the look of the car!

That is how a proper Mopar muscle car should look! It completely baffles me why people are putting those stupid looking dog dish hubcaps on every effing one I see these days! They are emasculating the Mopar muscle cars and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Are they afraid that people might get offended by the cars toxic masculinity? Are they afraid that the me too mob is going to come after them for the girl they took in the backseat in 1983? I just don't understand it,and the ones with those crappy wheels no one would have been seen in public sporting aren't bringing the money they did when they had decent wheels on them. There was a nice yellow Challenger R/T at the MCACN show that would have looked fantastic with a nice set of 15x7 rallye wheels on it,but instead they put those stupid looking painted yellow wheels on it with goofy looking dork dish hubcaps that looked like they belong on a taxicab totally ruining the look of the car!
As I've posted earlier, my GTX came with dog dish caps from the factory, but only because the original owner planned on mounting 1968 style magnums on the car as soon as he took delivery. So it is not factory correct as it sits. It's the way it actually spent its life on the street, and I loved the way it looked back then. Dealer installed, and the dealer's personal car, wonder if that makes it right with the purists. Is there anyone here who thinks I should change it to factory stock?
GTX front.jpg

The car looks great with the chrome Magnum 500 wheels on it! I recently bought these Dynacorn Magnum 500 wheels for my Daytona project I wanted the look of 14 inch Magnum wheels with trim rings, but wanted to run 15 inch Polyglass tires.

20230723_173200.jpg

20230723_173055.jpg

20230723_173112.jpg

The car looks great with the chrome Magnum 500 wheels on it! I recently bought these Dynacorn Magnum 500 wheels for my Daytona project I wanted the look of 14 inch Magnum wheels with trim rings, but wanted to run 15 inch Polyglass tires.

View attachment 1565236

View attachment 1565238

View attachment 1565239
Wish Ma Mopar had those back in the day. The year after the dealer took delivery of my GTX, he ordered an identical 1970 model, which wore the newly available 15" Rallyes. No dog dish caps on that one.

My X was just something I owned and enjoyed - never an investment or something I counted on to fund my old age. In that regard the value never made any difference to me. When I sold it I did so for a Very reduced price to a friend feeling I was doing something for someone that would never otherwise be able to own one of that pedigree.
Man! What a really nice thing to do, and attitude to have.
Although until the last couple of weeks I really enjoyed watching Mecum, went to the Mecum Kissimmee auction for a vacation in 2017, and about 5 weeks ago went to the first Barrett-Jackson auction held in New Orleans.
Since then, so much has gone to crap for me that I was forced to sell my Roadrunner, a car that I had NEVER planned on nor wanted to sell. That's ruined my enjoyment of watching just about anything classic cars related, but I believe I will get past this, but never "over" it.
I've always planned and acted on making the Roadrunner what I wanted it to be, and it's been at the next to last step since late 2020, but unfortunately I won't be able to take it to the conclusion.

It sucks what happened with your Road Runner after so much time and money spent to build the car into the car you wanted it to be.

Although until the last couple of weeks I really enjoyed watching Mecum, went to the Mecum Kissimmee auction for a vacation in 2017, and about 5 weeks ago went to the first Barrett-Jackson auction held in New Orleans.
Since then, so much has gone to crap for me that I was forced to sell my Roadrunner, a car that I had NEVER planned on nor wanted to sell. That's ruined my enjoyment of watching just about anything classic cars related, but I believe I will get past this, but never "over" it.
I've always planned and acted on making the Roadrunner what I wanted it to be, and it's been at the next to last step since late 2020, but unfortunately I won't be able to take it to the conclusion.
I share your opinion of Kevin's kind deed. I hope to be able to do the same with my X at some time in the future. In the late 90s, I was in possibly similar circumstances to where you are today, and sold off my third GTX, and a restored 1960 Chrysler 300F, when my corporate job went south, and my daughter got into some really bad personal stuff. It really sucked, and I lost all enthusiasm for the hobby for the next decade. I never imagined at that time, that 20 years later, I would have a numbers matching Hemi car parked beside the second GTX I had owned in the 80s. I was sorry to see you part with the Road Runner, seeing what you put into it, I offer my story only to provide some encouragement that this stuff can go the other way in time.

I’m in them for the enjoyment and I’ll make sure each kid gets one to remember me by ...that’s it . I’ll have a stash to maintain them and keep them alive that will go with them...
Kids don’t care and will sell to get something handheld that scrolls. HC goes to a friend. He can sell and pay off mortgage. Or not. I’ll try to put some wear on them until then.

My son and a old friend of mine were walking though car corral at Mopar nats and looking at a project '68 Charger. My friend says "here you go buy this and you can have one like your dad", my son says "I already have one". My friend looks at him like, when did you get a '68 Charger? Then he realizes my son is talking about mine. Still a good laugh.
The value of my cars will never be realized by me.

Kids don’t care and will sell to get something handheld that scrolls. HC goes to a friend. He can sell and pay off mortgage. Or not. I’ll try to put some wear on them until then.
Most kids don't care and will sell them for pennies on the dollar when we are gone.

Geez - I’m truly sorry you had to sell your RR. I know well how much you loved that bird and how much effort and money you put into it along the way. She was indeed a beauty. I’ve followed so many of your posts thru much of your journey - That’s how I know your love of that car was palpable. I remember when you and Dennis connected down in the Big Easy and had some fun. I don’t know your age of financial condition but do know that things can turn around with time and a little patience. I’m sure the toughest part is that that RR was “the car”. Reproducing that aspect may be your toughest challenge.

I had Owned my 68 X for 48 years. It was quite literally the very first car I‘d ever owned, and the only car I ever wanted. There was a symbiotic relationship there between us that could have never been replaced by any other car. I have no children, and none of my nieces or nephews had any real interest in my X besides “how cool it looked”. That wasn’t anywhere near enough to save it for one of them. So my friend was someone I grew up with and had coveted that car from the day I bought it In 1972. He was never one that had a lot of money and he raised a really great family of 4 kids - 3 girls and a boy. That was where most of the money he made from his warehouse job went to was raising those great kids. I’d gone to shows and auctions with him ma y times only to see him het blown out of the water almost immediately on cars that weren’t half the pedigree of my X, let alone it’s quality. He’d made me offers over the years but i didn't want to sell and it wasn’t near enough money to entice me anyway. So a couple of years ago I started to think it was time - and would I be at peace w/it once I did sell it. I listed it here for one day, if that, and then quickly took it down. I’d given it a lot of thought - called my friend and told him I’d sell him the car - to which he said thanks but I know we’re too far apart. Then I told him no we’re right on the dot. I‘m going to sell it to only you for what you offered me some years ago. He thought I was joking until I said you better hurry up and act because this isn’t easy for me to let go of something I’ve so treasured since I was a teenager - but I think it’s time and I want you to have it, and then your son to have it after you or along with you when that time comes. That’s the only thing I ask. To me that gives me some sort of legacy to pass it on to you and then you to your son. We’ve been friends for 45 yrs and you’re the only one I want to have it - that I know will keep it and treasure it as I have. So that was it - that‘s How it played out. Ive admired but never desired any other classic muscle car or car of that nature once I was lucky enough to find the one I wanted - There never will be another I’ll be interested in either. That was it for me, there will be no 2nd act.

You’re situation I don’t know but feel is probably different than mine and for you I wish a perfect 2nd act comes along at just the right time for you. It will happen if you want it to. Be patient and stay looped into the hobby so you’re prepared when it does. I wish you all the best of luck and a little extra!

my preference is finding a guy I get the impression loves it like I do
THAT, that right there is the best scenario by far, and I commend you for having that kind of appreciation and passion for your car.
I suffered so much mental and emotional ANGUISH when I was recently forced to sell my Roadrunner. To make a situation that couldn't get worse worse, it drove home my realization that being subjected to 23 years of the instable and out of control bouts of rage or other emotion-based, logic be damned, extreme behavior that I have faced with my wife aren't ever going to end, and my hopes that she would get better have only left me deeply hurt and in a really bad situation. Ultimately I blame myself for being in such a financially vulnerable position that I had NO good choice, ALL of the possibilities were likely to ultimately result in the car being sold, but I would have likely suffered above and beyond what I did in having to sell it.
The weeks before and after it was sold and then picked up are undoubtedly some of the worst weeks I've had as an adult, and I have had some doozies.
I'm grateful for my forum friends who helped me through it, and more days than not I am "ok", but the truth has a way of changing whispers to screams when my mind is more idle, when I can't be distracted by work or duties or anything I can do to prevent the reality of my very very special car that I was fortunate to ever have to begin with, had built up and "nurtured" over 9+ years to the absolute finish line of my plans I had for it, only the LAST step of dropping the 572 stroker in it and enjoying ALL that had been done to get it to that point remained to be done, and WHAM! it was all wiped away because I could not fight my way out of an ultimatum that no one should have to face, much less having one's spouse being the one making that demand.
Considering the "value" of our classic cars?? I can't even enjoy watching the car related shows, YouTube videos, and certainly not ANY events that I've always enjoyed doing in person since I was a teenager because of my recent experience.
The only things that have kept me from being inconsolable are that I am able to and am working on reducing the influence of, then eliminating the factors that led to me being in such a vulnerable situation so I have options other than "all bad outcomes", my friends who are available for me to talk with, and the strong hope that once I have a foundation I can stand alone on, I will have a drag strip oriented roller I can drop the 572 in and then FINALLY join my long-time dearest friends and acquaintances for some great times at the race track.
For me, the "value" of my Roadrunner reached FAR FAR beyond any money spent on it or received for it.

I'm not much of an E-body person, but I could go for one of these .....

View attachment 1564171
Add a black vinyl top (I'd prefer, but not a deal breaker) to that exact car, and that is my idea of a perfect E-body for me.
While I'm letting my recently tortured, abused, and still grieving mind enjoy a moment of "dreaming" I'd have a Gen III Hemi w/a Procharger under the hood, and a coilover front suspension from QA1/GERST, and an independent rear suspension as well, with 4 wheel disc brakes so strong the paint could fly off if I hit the brakes as hard as possible. 5 or 6 speed manual with a ring and pinion ratio around 3.75-4.10.
Ok, that was nice while it lasted.

I just now read the posts on this page, and going back a few pages, and the other posts where y'all mentioned me and the Roadrunner, and my reply to Ron's post from a few pages back should fill in the picture a little more broadly.
The main reason for this post is to sincerely thank you all for your kind words and consideration. I didn't know how appropriate my reply to Ron when I was 3 pages back would turn out to be.
I don't know why, but yesterday was a particularly difficult day, I had a dread and sorrow that was hard to shake. To top it off I saw a Barrett-Jackson auction was on and as I tuned in to see how I'd tolerate it, wouldn't you know (honestly the irony isn't lost on me) they were finishing selling a Sunbeam Tiger, and the very first full story on a car was a 70 Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird...at least it was Alpine White (I do like that color on those, "more than I should" it seems) but at least it wasn't Lemon Twist. Oh-it was a 440 6bbl too.
The cosmos kicking me in the *** again, I changed the channel.

This was my sentiment when I sold Baby Blue and the Hemi GTX, and they both went to FBBO members. I had read your story about your GTO, and didn't want to see the same happen to my GTXs. I wasn't as particular with the A33 car, less attachment to it, but I still refused a serious cash offer from a local guy I didn't care for. The current GTX is an enigma for me, no other living person has the connection to it that I do, but I want it to pass to someone who can appreciate the story, and keep it going.
Recent developments have clarified the crystal ball. It will probably go to the grandson of the original owner.

suffered so much mental and emotional ANGUISH when I was recently forced to sell my Roadrunner
I caught earlier posts about your having to part ways with your beloved RR. I envied you having that ride as that year is my favorite year. Always thought of having one someday. My ride is no comparison in popularity or value with a ’70 RR; but I caught a glimpse of selling it to a guy who was quite interested and I backed out thinking of losing the car (I had an experience I’ve posted about I never forgot). I’ve put so much work and cash into it and while I have a few other mopars I like better, it seems like it’s a part of me, kind of like it has with pooches and kitty’s I’ve had to say goodbye to. Ok, not the same; but similar enough. Just MO.

I’m very sorry to hear what you have gone through. Differences aside, you have a lot of smarts and I’d bet you’re going to have occasion to look back on this being in better shape than you can imagine right now. Easier to have someone like me say this as I’m not in the world of hurt as you are; BUT I’m reflecting on some crap experiences in my life where I came out fine looking back on them not thinking I would at the time. I'm pretty sure a whole bunch of fellow members would say the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back