• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Junkyard Dog

detmatt1

Local time
2:41 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to the site but not to Mopars and I am hoping someone out there can help me out. Please check out my gallery and let me know if you recognize the "JUNKYARD DOG". The gallery includes a brief explanation. Any leeds would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2129_4.JPG

Welcome!

Nice Challenger! No clue on the RR - although it does look like your not afraid to get your hands dirty! Keep the updates coming.

:yes:
Ray

Welcome. Don't know anything about the car, but I think I'd try to run down WEB-PARKER AUTO PARTS to see what I could learn from there

I have been trying that with no success so far. I'm more interested in working on it than researching for right now. Whatever I can find out about it won't change the plan for the restoration and I plan on keeping the old doors the way they are and using different ones on the car.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Very interesting find.Have you tried to contact previous owners? How many coats of paint were over the writing? You also have a nice shop ,one thing I noticed was the hoist you have is chained to the rail.It looks like you could put it on a set of wheels to roll on.Make it a lot easier !! Keep us updated

Thanks, it has been interesting. As far as previous owners, I think it changed hands a bunch of times in the recent past, but that is a good suggestion. The dark blue had a coat of primer under it, under the primer was a lot of bondo filling in the rust and a lot of dents, some very deep. Under that was the coat of paint with the writing and graphics with primer under that and then the original LL1. Thanks for the comments on the shop, the chainfall isn't on wheels but the rack/jig I built for the car is on big casters and if it wasn't for the uneven floor I can push it around with one hand.

I've sanded several cars down,now did you just sand down to the lettering?Did you have an idea it was there? From the looks of the top rail it would be easy to add wheels to the hoist or maybe get a air hoist like we have at work that slide on rails like that. Maybe in the future?? I have a car that needs the same thing you're doing,tha rear frame assembly. Make sure to take more pics.

I started by using a chemical stripper on the quarters and the one door and it damaged the lettering on the quarters before I new it was there. It didn't have as harsh an affect on the orange bulldog on the door. At that point I started hand sanding to try to preserve anything else I might find, unfortunately I didn't find much. I will post more pics tomorrow with a little more explanation for "68 Satellite". Thanks and happy holidays to all.
Detroit Matt

Wow thanks for the extra pictures!! I need to do the same thing and would like to get the low down on it. My biggest concern is the welding and getting the frame straight. Did you do evrything yourself? I have a friend looking at a doner car in Colorado so will also be using oem parts. Got to go Merry Christmas !!

Wow thanks for the extra pictures!! I need to do the same thing and would like to get the low down on it. My biggest concern is the welding and getting the frame straight. Did you do evrything yourself? I have a friend looking at a doner car in Colorado so will also be using oem parts. Got to go Merry Christmas !!
Yes I did all of the work myself. There are frame/unibody dimension diagrams avaliable on Ebay that are copies of Chrysler Corp. originals. That was a helpful reference but even more so was all of the dimensions and reference marks that I made on the jig that the car is mounted to. The doner assembly fit the car as if one followed the other down the assembly line back in `68!. As far as the welding is concerned, mig welding is not that difficult with the right equipment. Miller makes a great machine that is easy to use and also has a comprehensive training dvd avaliable through there website and of course some practice. I have been doing a little welding here and there for years so I am sure that helped. And no I don't work for Miller.

Auto Transport Service
Back