• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just A Question

If I remember correctly, your 68 318 would NOT have a VIN derivative stamped on the engine. If this is the case, I would dump the engine as any date coded 318 will work if you want to bring it back to "factory". On the other hand, if it DOES have the VIN derivative, I would keep it. You simply can't find that engine again.
Where, would that number be stamped? lemme guess, underneath, by starter? oil pan? going to be tough for this olde bag of bones to get under there.
a gal, that stopped in here, awhile back, decoded the fender tag with a build date of sept 6, 1967.
also, fwiw, im supposedly owner #3. car restorer, owner #2, supposedly had galen decipher car (no documentation to support claim) . supposedly 1 of 2 known to exist, white body, green interior & roof.
there was a site, since taken down, had production numbers, broken down. mopartn mentioned 1557 verts built, i thought i had read less, like 1250. no big deal in itself.
drivetrain is sitting on a tube steel cart i hurriedly tacked together, in a shed at the back of the property. along with all the other 'original' parts. and just remembered, buried in the opposite corner are the black steel wheels, with rubber. something else i really should get rid of.
so, it seems, a future buyer just may be interested in the old parts for originality. it aint co$ting me to store, just need room.
thank you all, for your interest, replies, and opinions.
bob

A 318 that was built in 67 might have got a forged crank. I know the 67 cars got them.....

Where, would that number be stamped? ...
...decoded the fender tag with a build date of sept 6, 1967.../QUOTE]
Small blocks (I think, and others will correct me if I'm wrong) had the number stamped just above the oil pan. However, I remember reading that some (later?) 68 blocks had the VIN derivative stamped on the bellhousing flange on the driver's side. Not sure if this was just big blocks. Again, some more knowledgeable members will correct me here as needed.
I would bet, based on it being an early 68 car that it does NOT have a VIN derivative stamped in the block.

The numbers matching 318?
If the inconvenience of storing the original 318 is worth the upsell then keep it. Are original cars worth more than upgraded cars? IMO by the time it gets sold, its a coin flip if the next buyer even wants the 318. I know I wouldn't.

A 318 that was built in 67 might have got a forged crank. I know the 67 cars got them.....

...and it's a 9.2:1 compression motor with closed chambered heads.

Check the numbers Bob. If the VIN is not stamped on it (which I don't think it is) sell it on.

Auto Transport Service
Back