• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just another 505 build

The way Trick Flow is handling this is really good news for Trick Flow and the rest of us. Your struggle will make things better for others, no matter how this works out.

Make sure you take the oil pump apart and clean it..probably filled with debris.
Note: Important...
If the motor "locked up" it very well have bent a whole bunch of pushrods, and/or connecting rods and could have bent the crank. Also check the cam...it could have broke it or at least cracked it.
I would definitely check all those before reassembly.

I bring this up because I had a buddy who, when coming out of the water box, the motor "locked up". The Number one piston had exploded, punched a hole the #1 cylinder wall, locked up and then bent the #1 rod, bent the crank, bent most of the pushrods, broke the bottom skirts off all the pistons and broke the camshaft in 4 pieces.

Last edited:
If you suffered no cylinder wall damage, you got very lucky. Many years ago I was makin' a pass and just before the finish line at about 6500 rpm the motor dropped a cylinder (misfire). There were no funny noises so I drove back to my pit. No compression in one cylinder, Pulled the VC and found a broken retainer - when the valve dropped down the piston smacked it back up and it stuck in the guide because the stem had bent . . . just a small mark on the piston.

Its looks like the guide was too tight, stuck the valve open and snap. I have a set of the 240's, when I tore them down to check em, that's the first thing I noticed, all the guides were too tight! By the way, pictures don't do that car justice, I've seen it at the track many times and its absolutely beautiful, ran by some super nice guys. Good luck.

Its looks like the guide was too tight, stuck the valve open and snap. I have a set of the 240's, when I tore them down to check em, that's the first thing I noticed, all the guides were too tight! By the way, pictures don't do that car justice, I've seen it at the track many times and its absolutely beautiful, ran by some super nice guys. Good luck.
Thank you for the kind words! Would love to meet you in person.

A little update for you all... Motor took worst damage than I thought. So, I have 2 junk pistons (One that had the broken valve in it and one that decided to eat some valve seat pieces), A solid 4-5 inch crack in cylinder 3, the cam had a flat lobe and all the bearings are shot because of the ton of water that was in the oil when I drained it... So that block is pretty much junk, it has been hard blocked in years past so re-sleeving it is kinda out of the question. Don'tcha just love race cars??!?

As for Trick Flow, I have been working with a guy named Ed who has been extremely helpful though the whole process. Currently they are being torn down out at their shop and they are going to hopefully decide tomorrow on what will happen next, either they will replace or repair etc... So until tomorrow... I got another block at the machine shop and getting 2 new pistons balanced back to the set... And so the story goes on!

Hey guys, talked to Trick Flow the other day. They cut me a really great deal on a set of new heads. I will not share what I paid, but Trick Flow threw in a lot of goodies with it. I spoke with a guy named Ed, really really good guy. I explained him the whole situation, he sent me boxes to send the heads back in and took care of all the shipping charges... They inspected them and we went from there... So the new ones are on the way back to the house, got about a week and a half to make the Gasser Blowout at Emerald Coast Dragway on the 10th of Feb... Time is not on my side right now! Thanks again Trick Flow for standing behind your product, I know there are companies out there that could care less about the small time drag racer, but they actually gave a crap... So thank you.

Glad they’re taking care of you, but we need to know what kind of price you paid and what else was sent!!! Lol come on spill the beans

:bs::poke::wtf:

Glad they’re taking care of you, but we need to know what kind of price you paid and what else was sent!!! Lol come on spill the beans

:bs::poke::wtf:
Sorry buddy, I don't want to post it on here. Just know that if you ever have issues with Trick Flow, if you do, that they will make it right in the end where both parties are taken care of!

Sorry buddy, I don't want to post it on here. Just know that if you ever have issues with Trick Flow, if you do, that they will make it right in the end where both parties are taken care of!
I am glad to hear you were taken care of, you’ve got a tough deadline ahead of you. I suspect trick flow took extra care with the new heads you’re getting but will you be checking clearances again before installing? Also did they conclude that the failure was indeed because of the guide clearances?

I would be more concerned about a few underlying issues, the bad bearings, cam/lifter to be specific, when this valve broke it didn't have time to cause that. I know you have a race coming up, I know its temptingto just reassemble, but take your time and get everything like you want it(clearance,etc etc). The last 505 we built we probably had 15 hrs in block prep, sent the brand new crank to get turned because of extreme runout and taper, and i'm sure it would have ran, just not near as long!

I'm going back to my last block, repaired the crack and filled with hard block. Running my original cam as well, main and rod bearings will be all new. Had the machine shop check the rotating assembly as well. Thank you for the encouraging words as well.

I also had great dealings with trick flow and the original 240's I bought. The vendor I was working with took so long to get them to me that they came out with the 270's in the meantime. They let me exchange the 240's for the 270's no questions asked. They also took care of the return shipping. They really had no skin in the game because it was a distributor and not them, but since it was their product they wanted to make sure I got what I wanted and needed. That doesn't happen very much these days. I am a trick flow fan for life.

Hey guys, busted my tail to get to the test n tune last night at Emerald Coast Dragway... Man was it worth it. Car ran GREAT and sure is a bit faster! Ran 6.49 and 6.47 @ 104 mph. About a .4 tenth increase in ET, same cam, same converter... Very impressed with the throttle response. Car is a whole new animal this year...

I agree with your thoughts about the possibility of the head coming off the valve. When I bought, Summit didn't have the 270's available so I got the 240's, plus I didn't care to purchase the appropriate MW parts. I took the news head, still in the box, too the machinist I use for all machine work. The clearances were all checked, seats, coil bind, etc. I checked whatever else, prior too installation. Fired the engine and it rattled for no apparent reason.
Now a new short block is in the works and we shall see if everything chooses to work together this time. So sorry to hear of anyone's engine issues.

Glad it’s working out for you, are you still running the power glide? I just can’t help but think a 727 would turn quicker times at your power level and especially 8th mile. I’m not a seasoned racer or anything but just listening to your videos it sounds like it takes a minute to get rolling. I know you tried a 727 before and Had issues with it but that falls on the builder. Ever think of going back to the TF?

Glad it’s working out for you, are you still running the power glide? I just can’t help but think a 727 would turn quicker times at your power level and especially 8th mile. I’m not a seasoned racer or anything but just listening to your videos it sounds like it takes a minute to get rolling. I know you tried a 727 before and Had issues with it but that falls on the builder. Ever think of going back to the TF?
—-
Wondering if there’s any 1/4 mile times? I Rebuilt my 727 with an ultimate sprag and low gear set. It’s going behind my 505. Will see how it stacks up.

—-
Wondering if there’s any 1/4 mile times? I Rebuilt my 727 with an ultimate sprag and low gear set. It’s going behind my 505. Will see how it stacks up.
What’s the cr in your 505 again? Does my logic make sense with the power glide and tf?

60 foot was 1.420 with the transbrake set at 3000 RPM. Honestly with that 1.80 first gear, it lugs for a second as the converter flashes and then it goes. I haven't given a single thought about going back to a 727. Powerglide is super easy to get parts, my unit is an aftermarket case so no need for a trans shield, and its all rated for about 1000 hp. Ain't gonna hurt that thing. Plus its deadly when it comes to bracket racing... I do not have any 1/4 mile times, only 1/8 mile tracks in my area. If you throw it in the calculator though, it comes out to being 10.10 ish. CR is 13-1.

What’s the cr in your 505 again? Does my logic make sense with the power glide and tf?
--
My CR is 12.78. Your logic makes sense to me; it's the rule I'm going with anyways.
I switched to a low gear set because of the heavier car to get it off the line. I believe a heavier car is one that is over 3000 lbs. I'm way heavy..

Auto Transport Service
Back