• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

K Frame question, Please help!

TonyPa

Local time
4:59 AM
Reaction score
My 1965 Plymouth Belvedere II, will be getting a transplant over the winter.
I have not decided yet, but either a 318, or a 440.
I currently have a slant 6 in it.
I looked at the places that sale the motor mounts for swapping.
They do not make them for my swap from a 6 cylinder to a 8 cylinder. Ugh!
Two questions.

1. My car had the option of a 318 from the factory, so that would mean getting factory parts for a 318 would be easier. Linkages, headers, stuff like that.
Of course the 440, "I can get a good deal on one, with a tranny", would really make my car run a bit nicer.
But maybe harder to get things for it to work right, beings it never came stock with a 440 in that year.
Any opinions?

2. I will need a K frame of course, but my car seems to be odd.
1965 Belverdere, Satellite, seems to be a ONE year only for fenders, some other minor stuff.
Does anyone know what year K frames I can use for my car, or does it have to be a 1965 K frame?
Or will this be a complete nightmare?
I would really appreciate as much advice as possible! Thanks guys!

A 62-65 k frame will for a small or big block (same k frame) will bolt right in. You could always go to a 66 and up k frame and get the trans conversion mount and be set.

A 62-65 k frame will for a small or big block (same k frame) will bolt right in. You could always go to a 66 and up k frame and get the trans conversion mount and be set.

Okay, thank you! I don't know how hard that will be to find where I live.
No pick and pull yard near me with older cars.
I was offered a K frame from a 67 Belvedere. I knew that may be wrong, I am glad I posted this.
SO small or big block it don't matter, same K frame? I would have not guessed that. I am glad you told me.
So 66 and up, trans conversion kit? I dont know what that means. As in what parts?

a 66 to 70 k member will bolt in it sets the motor back about 2 inches so trans mount needs addressed it will be 2 inches back also

a 66 to 70 k member will bolt in it sets the motor back about 2 inches so trans mount needs addressed it will be 2 inches back also

So I would basically find a different trans mount member, if I get a 66 or up? Which trans member would I get. The one for a 66 to 70?
Just doing my homework, so I get all the right stuff.

Just the rubber part for the trans, not the entire cross member if you go with a 66' and up k frame.

Just the rubber part for the trans, not the entire cross member if you go with a 66' and up k frame.

Oh okay!! SO just the rubber mount for trans mount 66 and up,I gotcha now. Thanks!!!
At least I know I am not stuck with trying to find 65 and back.

Okay, I just called the guy with the motor. He said he has a K frame from his 67. I will go ahead and grab that off of him.

Dont forget about radiator/cooling, driveshaft, rear axle, suspension,brakes,etc.

I would be careful about using the later K frame unless you want to make a lot of changes to drive train and some clearance issues. The 62 to 65 b K frame for any v8 would be easier I bought one at Columbus and saw many more there.

Dont forget about radiator/cooling, driveshaft, rear axle, suspension,brakes,etc.

Yes, I have been adding everything up. I am lucky I do have the 8 3/4 rear axle. Otherwise, I need a lot of stuff!

I would be careful about using the later K frame unless you want to make a lot of changes to drive train and some clearance issues. The 62 to 65 b K frame for any v8 would be easier I bought one at Columbus and saw many more there.

I didn't know about other issues. I thought just the trans mount issue. Maybe I better chase down a 62-65. I don't want it to end up frustrating. Columbus is about 3 1/2 hours from me.
I honestly wouldn't know how to tell the difference in the years, so hopefully someone is honest when I find one.
I see one here.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121413717534?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I would check out MoparMarks he may have one or Kramer he may have one also

I would check out MoparMarks he may have one or Kramer he may have one also

I will google MoparMarks. I never heard of them. I will ask Kramer when they call back. I didn't know they carried that stuff. I called about a Fender last Friday. They never called back yet, but they said they do have them.
Update...I just realized he was on the board after I google him...

don't get to far ahead of yourself! I did the very same swap about 20years ago in my driveway of a mobile home park! maybe jeff Foxworthy was watching! its really not that hard, more parts around now than then. was more difficult getting /6 out than putting 440 in! the 6 is a long motor, and I couldn't get the tranny off motor so it was a PIA! if I had to do it again, I would definatley assemble on k fram and install from underneath! plus when changing k frame that is the time to rebuilt and detail all that stuff! if I did it anybody can! take your time,dont try to do too much at once, plan out your steps, get a factory service manual, a lot of very usefull info!

With the 66 and later transmission and k frame,you will also have to address your transmission linkage as 65 is cable shift on column and no provision on frame rail for cross shaft bracket.

And if it's a console car???

Not really, as a console car will be much easier to do than a column car.

Don't know if this will help, but...

65's were a year of their own, in the 62-65 years, mainly because it used the first year of the slip type yoke tranny.
But, your's is a 6, and I think the trans is different. Don't know on the trans mount and crossmember, if their the same from SB to BB.

My 64 was a BB (383) car, with of course, the correct K-frame for dropping in a 440. Fits right in. The only real change I had to do was on my trans mount...using the 64 crossmember. I cut off the mount 'box', where the actual mount bolts in, and moved it 1/2" to the rear, and welded it back in the new location. Sure, there are nice 'high dollar' modified mounts you can buy, if that's what you want.
I've already dropped my (empty) block, with trans bolted up, into the engine bay, and all fits great. Only other issue I had was finding an oil pan that would go.
Mine is a 69 engine and 67 727 trans. Of course, the trans is a big block type. Small block, and sixs, are different.

Plenty of data online, for these 'swaps'. Good luck on it.

Not really, as a console car will be much easier to do than a column car.

Zack,being a 6 cyl Belvedere I doubt it would be a console car.

Auto Transport Service
Back