• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

K-FRAME STAND

My unit. I use some 10+" long 5/8" bolts, with the heads cut off, threaded into the rails so I can guide the unit into place when lowering the car.

BB1B7E39-F21E-4CB5-9AC4-F539EC852CFE.jpeg ABE2B745-8CD1-4E62-A54E-C2520EDF84F3.jpeg 4B9E73E8-8754-4403-A914-55002A42E496.jpeg

My unit. I use some 10+" long 5/8" bolts, with the heads cut off, threaded into the rails so I can guide the unit into place when lowering the car.

That's what I do, but I only use two of them, catty corner, so I can start the bolts in the other two.

Here's the full kit, includes the front dolly used not only to lift the car with an engine hoist, but caster's located at the bottom so the car remains mobile

View attachment 600756
I know this is an old thread but it doesn't make sense to start a new thread on a topic that is always current.
Regarding both pieces in the photo, is this something that plans are available for. Is it commercially made? The part that bolts to the vehicle would be really helpful.

Here's one my buddy made, based off a store bought one, I believe.
20221020_184402.jpg
20221020_222541.jpg

Try this.. this is the one I built.
Thanks to 70BeepBeep for the plans! Built my engine and transmission dolly this weekend. I'm going to make a cradle for the k-frame using 1 1/2" angle and it they will go into the from vertical brackets.

IMG_6486.jpeg

IMG_6487.jpeg

IMG_6488.jpeg

IMG_6490.jpeg

IMG_6484.jpeg

IMG_6483.jpeg

IMG_6482.jpeg

Yup looks good! Give it a paint job!

Here's my 2 cents ...
1) keep it simple - its doesn't need all sorts of brackets, attachments, etc - you'll likely use it once then toss it out back of your shop to rot. If it takes more than an hour to build then its too elaborate.
2) make it hold the engine as high as possible - particularly if you have the car on a hoist. Lying on your back to insert and tighten bolts is never pleasant.
3) the engine is all the weight - it really doesn't need a support much further past the back of the block.
4) prior to install LOOSELY attach the trans crossmember to the trans.

Auto Transport Service
Back