• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ks like newTrans or converter ??

terzmo

Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
I have a 727 trans in My BB R/T and if the car sits for 3 or more days it will not engage forward or reverse for quite a long time. In gear it will just slightly move until it feels like moving. Afterwards it is fine...shifts well..and can sit a day or two and acts fine. All of this is when starting in park and then going to drive or reverse. Now...if I put the tranny in neutral and start it up and go to reverse or drive, it works like it should. No issues. Engages in reverse or drive and moves like it should. If it is slow to engage when starting in Park..I place it in neutral(running) and it works fine.
TCI converter....727 trans

Question: Is the converter draining or is there an issue in the tranny itself ?

Thanks to all in advance

Last edited:
There are a lot of Torqueflite's that won't fill the converter in park. Start it in neutral and it will fill and go. The newer ones have been modified to fill in park. Most shift kits also modify that issue.

There are a lot of Torqueflite's that won't fill the converter in park. Start it in neutral and it will fill and go. The newer ones have been modified to fill in park. Most shift kits also modify that issue.
Thanks...has a shift kit and this has been gradually getting worse after a few years. Didn't start with the shift kit install. As I said in My post when starting in neutral..I have no issue but shouldn't or doesn't the pump engage in park also?

I would drop the pan for a fluid and filter change and study up on band and linkage adjustment procedure.. You might be able to breathe some life back in the old girl.

They don't pump in park, which is why the oil level is checked in neutral. It says so right on the dipstick. I only have my trans in park when the engine is not running.

My experience is that all of the 60's to 70's 727's drain back after sitting for prolonged time. Like previous posts, either starting in neutral or placing in neutral for a little before moving the problem goes away. I do think that there is a modification that can be done to eliminate this, but it hasn't bothered me enough to investigate. Even the GTX that I purchased from you many years ago, which has a shift kit does it after sitting for several weeks.

Sounds to me like the front drum is getting out of spec. Doesn’t seal well on the front pump, once everything gets warm the problem goes away. The seals wear directly on the drum, lots of tranns just get new sealing rings, when they should have had the drum replaced too. Sometimes another new set of seals fix it.

Sounds to me like the front drum is getting out of spec. Doesn’t seal well on the front pump, once everything gets warm the problem goes away. The seals wear directly on the drum, lots of tranns just get new sealing rings, when they should have had the drum replaced too. Sometimes another new set of seals fix it.
Thanks but I don't believe that is an issue as when the car is dead cold and started in park it doesn't move but shifting to neutral right away and going to drive makes it move like normal.

Auto Transport Service
Back