• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ladder bars

——-
A pretty good day 1. Hot day right off the bat DA averaging 4400-4600 at 85F. Car ran 10.11, 10.07 and 10.09 all in the 132MPH range on the 3 test passes. First round was a tight one against the #1 qualifier and I pulled that one out by a .001 margin over the stripe with a 10.11 with a scrub of the brake. Went out in the 3rd round. Dialled 10.11. A better light by .020, caught, passed and on the brakes over the stripe. His win light comes on. WTF. I crossed at 125.0 MPH @ 10.038. Lots of breakouts followed. That’s racing, day 2 coming up, looking for a good day.

IMG_9265.jpeg

Last edited:
It will be a great day. Yesterday was just a warm up. Now you're going to pull it all together today.

Old stock tower in the rear does it get removed for a new one. Or do we use it with the ladder bar setup.

Old stock tower in the rear does it get removed for a new one. Or do we use it with the ladder bar setup.
I would replace it with a dedicated coilover crossmember. The stock shock crossmember is not designed to support weight like a coilover requires. It was just to control movement, not hold the back of the car up.

I would replace it with a dedicated coilover crossmember. The stock shock crossmember is not designed to support weight like a coilover requires. It was just to control movement, not hold the back of the car up.
I left the original one in. It wasn’t in the way.
IMG_3351.jpeg

I left the original one in. It wasn’t in the way.
View attachment 1488134
Dumb question does that put the shocks at a different angle or tilted forward. Or am I over thinking this.does this also add lift in the rear of the car. I'm guessing depending which hole you pick on the bottom shock mounts determines the ride height. I need schooling I have been reading on it but I guess all adjustments will be made from pinion angle and then can adjust from there. Do you run a mid plate and do I need to even think about that. I have a front plate but was just wondering. Dvw doesn't because of header issues. Which brings up another thought headers and starter. Everyone one talks tti and Doug's but always issues torsion bars starter hitting etc any input would be great. Thanks for the input.
Bear

Check out Kevin Wilson's tutorials on you tube. Covers all sorts of rear suspension setups, including a couple on ladder bars and pinion angle with them.
Good in-depth stuff.
I agree on the adjustable 36 inchers if you have room for them (shouldn't be a problem).
Wilsons videos are good. Spend a little money and model your suspension on a computer before you weld anything. cheap insurance. I use this program https://www.performancetrends.com/4link.htm it does ladder bars as well as 4-links. And for what it is worth ladder bars work well if they are right, terrible if not. 4-links are very adjustable and as you change and upgrade the car, they can be adjusted to fit the modifications. Sometimes not so much with a ladder bar. And youtube is great but I still like books this is the best in my opinion Complete Guide to Chassis Performance Manual

Dumb question does that put the shocks at a different angle or tilted forward. Or am I over thinking this.does this also add lift in the rear of the car. I'm guessing depending which hole you pick on the bottom shock mounts determines the ride height. I need schooling I have been reading on it but I guess all adjustments will be made from pinion angle and then can adjust from there. Do you run a mid plate and do I need to even think about that. I have a front plate but was just wondering. Dvw doesn't because of header issues. Which brings up another thought headers and starter. Everyone one talks tti and Doug's but always issues torsion bars starter hitting etc any input would be great. Thanks for the input.
Bear

Pics to help. When I installed my ladder bars I left my leaf pads on the diff and the spring boxes. The car sat on it’s wheels while I fit the brackets in place and got everything where I wanted it. No mid plate on mine neither.
IMG_3614.jpeg

IMG_3349.jpeg

IMG_3345.jpeg

IMG_1264.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks that really helps. I'll follow this information and work it from there.

Thanks that really helps. I'll follow this information and work it from there.
—-
Mine was the first set of ladders that I ever did and I’m sure there’s lots of good pointers or better ways that others can contribute with. These are the competition engineering outlaw bars. On the right side upper bar you can see I’ve written 2 flats for preload. So without me sitting in the car I adjust so both front rod ends bolts slide freely. Then I add 2 flats and lock it down. When I’m in the car both front bolts slide freely. The left upper bar adjustment sets pinion angle. I run 1.2 degrees negative PA. I remember the first time launch with the ladders and not sure what to expect. I let the button go, my first nice wheelie, dead hook and straight. It was a good moment.

I left mine in.
Doug
I see that the mounts on the new are in the position as the old ones. I like that and will be looking at something like that. Thank you

Auto Transport Service
Back