• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lakewood bellhousing and starter not bolting up 72 RR

Wile E. Coyote

Local time
10:27 AM
Reaction score
I have an old Lakewood bellhousing and the starter does not bolt up. The shop lost some of the parts for my car and I believe I need a Lakewood 15905 starter kit that has the adapter for the starter, but it has been discontinued. Anyone use another solution or have one of the kits for these?

What size flywheel and bellhousing??? I ran a 143 tooth flywheel/scattershield setup for YEARS without the end cup with zero problems. The other pieces in that kit are just an assortment of bolts and nuts and a small bracket. The only piece you may need is the small bracket.

There's a cup for starter nose. Make one out of a proper sized freeze plug? Will need to reinforce center where bolt goes to hold it in place. you can make the starter hold extension or who knows what they call it. The kit was on back order when I was doing mine, had the so I did have to make it. Don't forget to index the bearing retainer to crank, mine was off .013.
LWstarter.PNG

So on a totally self-serving note to the affect of the bearing retainer to crank indexing ... I have two pair of Mopar Performance offset dowels for sale - .014 and .021 - in original package if that matters (P4120383). The beauty being no dicking around trying to fit aftermarket .500 dowels in your .496 block holes !!

Stanton you are correct the picture above is the piece I'm missing, everything else is just nuts and bolts. I think someone might have one so I'm crossing my fingers

Stanton you are correct the picture above is the piece I'm missing, everything else is just nuts and bolts. I think someone might have one so I'm crossing my fingers
That piece I posted is easy to make, it doesn't need precision. It is nothing but a clamp, but you need the cup that nose of starter that bolts to shield. If no cup you'd need a precise placement of starter for a good mesh with ring gear.

Sounds good, the cup was still there so it feels like the starter meshed well with the starter. If the bracket doesn't turn up I'll try and make one. Thanks for the heads up!

Auto Transport Service
Back