• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TTI headers

rww124

Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
Is TTI the brand name of a header or just the style of header and where would the markings be on the header to identify the brand? What different materials were available, if these headers are actually TTI, (steel/stainless steel/ceramic) when choosing the header or was there there only one material that they were available in and is TTI made in China or the U.S.? Has anyone heard of a Robb Mc starter and who would sell them as my cousin has taken this starter to three different places Ace , Canadian Super Shops and forget the third however none of them have ever seen or heard of a starter like this. The 1993 Dakota starter was too big in diameter to bolt the header back up to the head and the 5.7 Hemi starter's throw out gear was about an 1 1/4 inch too short from being able to engage the flywheel. In the end my Cousin had to order a $600 aftermarket mini starter which won't be in for 4 days so he won't even know if that starter is going to work until he test fits it. My Cousin thinks the reason the throw out gear on the 5.7 is too short has something to do with the scattershield and block plate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You know, all you had to do was go to their website....
MadeinUSA.jpg

Nope....
google-fu.jpg

No stainless, all mild steel. Uncoated/raw, outer coated or coated in and out. Price changes with options. They have extensive footnotes available which you should read on your application.

What are you talking about, a starter or headers? What car and engine. $600 starter? Wow. Please provide better info.

Very good quality, excellent fit and very pricey. Look for a used set.

They're out there. I unwittingly picked up a set for a song without even knowing what they were. I just knew they looked quality and came out of a big block b body. Come to find out they're tti's 2 inch tubes with 3.5 inch collectors. The only downside looks to be buying that custom starter if using a 143 tooth flywheel.

I guess, nobody ever said it was a "cheap" hobby.

493_Mike is correct..... RobbMc products are purchased direct. I've heard complaints, but I run one of their starters and it is a problem solver, and a really good strong unit, not to be compared with every other Dodge Dakota mini starter out there.

Very good quality, excellent fit and very pricey. Look for a used set.
I bought a 69 Super Bee with a set of TTI headers already on it however finding a starter that will clear the headers on a 440 has been quite the challenge. When my Cousin took the RobbMc starter off the car the back of the starter was touching a header tube even though the guy who installed the headers had hammered the tube in about 3/8 inch and the side of the starter is about 7/8 inch away from another tube. Even though the RobbMc starters are required when using TTI headers it seems as though RobbMc didn't put a whole lot of design into their starters when it comes to header clearance. When speaking to someone working at RobbMc they said by my description I have the gen 1 starter where now they are making the gen 2. The guy didn't mention anything about the gen 2 being shorter however did say there was a bump that sticks out that the gen 1 didn't have. In conversation with this guy he said the heads of the Gen 1 starters are getting scarce and offered to sell me a gen 2 for half the regular price of $378 plus shipping after I shipped my gen 1 starter to him. Not sure how much Canada Post would charge to ship my gen 1 to RobbMc however if it were say $50 CAD then after this whole transaction is done I would be saving about $200 from the $600 CAD mini starter my cousin has already ordered. Question about the fit of the TTIs. Is there a more dramatic V shape on a 440 as compared to a 318 that would suck the header in closer to the block thus creating this clearance problem as some have claimed they have a 318 with TTI headers and had no problem fitting a 99 Dakota or 5.7 Hemi starter in and have been running it for 10+ years with no issues.

when using TTI headers it seems as though RobbMc didn't put a whole lot of design into their starters when it comes to header clearance.

Which came first, chicken, or egg? The starter, even gen1 FWIR, is the only 360 degree clockable starter. Surely, they didnt need to beat the header tubes. Maybe they had another starter beforehand??

Is there a more dramatic V shape on a 440 as compared to a 318 that would suck

Two different animals, although headers for each have the same challenges of fitting in the same car bodies. It would seem to me that the real challenge header manufacturers face is consistency once they start the mass production process, hence the widely varied results we hear back from the field. Given just about any particular header, someone will says "fits great, EZ install" and the next guy will say "I think these were made for a 6 cylinder" lol.

What are you talking about, a starter or headers? What car and engine. $600 starter? Wow. Please provide better info.
Exactly what information are you wanting me to post.

I recommend Doug's headers because they fit just as good and DONT require a special starter with an 11" 143 tooth wheel. I've had them now for about 10 years and the coating still looks good.
Gus

I recommend Doug's headers because they fit just as good and DONT require a special starter with an 11" 143 tooth wheel. I've had them now for about 10 years and the coating still looks good.
Gus
Thanks Gus however there are already TTI headers on the car with a stamping on the flange that bolts to the cylinder head of 440218 which I will look up to see if the 218 will tell me what the headers finish is, I already read the TTIs are made of 16 gauge mild steel. I'm not sure what a set of Doug's headers cost in Canadian dollars however think it would be a 6 of 1, half dozen of the other thing as I would be spending money on a new set of header to save the cost of paying $600 Canadian for a mini starter and would still have to spend about $150 for a Dakota or 5.7 Hemi starter where I'm not even sure if the Bendix would throw out far enough to engage the flywheel (already know the 5.7 won't). Appreciate your input though.

Auto Transport Service
Back