• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Largest tire/wheel combo for 'Dobas

Whats the diameter of a 285 40 18? I've been thinking of going to 18s and 17s, and I've even found some rims that I like (even though I'm told "They won't fit"....BS) but I like to be able to tuck them up into the wheelwells and I would like a higher aspect ratio than 40. I think a 285 would physically fit, and even tuck with the right backspacing, but a 50 or 55 series tire is gonna be pretty tall on an 18" rim. Not to mention even FINDING such a tire made for cars (Uniroyal UHPs are like car tires for trucks...probably the way I'll have to go) once I do settle on a size. 265 to 275mm will probably be my limit. By way of comparison...the 94-96 Impala SS came with 255 55 17s all around and, beefy as they were, those big Impalas swallowed em up and made em look small, especially on the rear.
Now that d9103365 got his new kicks (looks great) we can manuever this thread into a plus-sizing forum (I don't mean Penthouse letters about sexual exloits with LARGE women). These cars look great with 17 or 18" wheels but it's still kind of a shadowy area where few have gone. Any input at all would be helpful, maybe some specific details from CudaZappa? Some more pics?
BTW, when I get my new rims and tires the 16 and 15s and BFGs I have now will hopefully go onto my next project...an early A body (which I dont have yet). I was really counting on winning the MegaMillions 200+ million jackpot the other night. Very disappointing.

Any input at all would be helpful, maybe some specific details from CudaZappa? Some more pics?
me said:
285/40ZR18 18x10s with 5" bs. Fit fine, but I would've liked 5.5" better, still room for larger.

sorry, no more pictures. Doing the math that's a 27" tall tire. Like a 255/60 15. Except over an inch wider, with more rim. And that's a stock-ish suspension rebuild in back.

Hello gentlemen I'm new to the board but I ran across this thread and like to help with my experience. I own 2 78 magnums and I'll try and post pics.
I have 275 60's on all 4 corners of one of my magnums. 8" wheels and no issues. Remember the magnum gt of 79 had more or less same size front and back on 15x8 cop wheels like the volare/ aspen super coupes
My other will show how great a 17 - 18 combo looks on these late b bodies

Blue car has 255 50 r 17 on a 17x8. Rear has 295 45 r 18 on 18x9. They are sport truck tires but who cares. The stance is turned down bars 1" blocks out back with shortened rear leaf shackles.
The ratty grey car is bone stock

20160516_175030.jpg 20160516_120918.jpg 20160127_155607.jpg

Also if it helps . I always just grab 2 wheels with about a 4 to 4.5 backspace with 275 60's mounted. Use this as a base line and go from there. And the 295 45 18 sounds like it be too big but it's only 1/2 " taller over all than a 275 60 15. All this works for the 71 -74 b bodies too.

Blue car has 255 50 r 17 on a 17x8. Rear has 295 45 r 18 on 18x9. They are sport truck tires but who cares. The stance is turned down bars 1" blocks out back with shortened rear leaf shackles.
The ratty grey car is bone stock

View attachment 342113 View attachment 342116 View attachment 342117
That blue car has a great stance! Not familiar with those wheels; any info on em? Planning a similar combo with my 78. Once the engine's built, trans, interior, etc...

That blue car has a great stance! Not familiar with those wheels; any info on em? Planning a similar combo with my 78. Once the engine's built, trans, interior, etc...

Thank you brother. Sorry for the mia lately. The wheels are Enkei rt6. I got them in 2003 so good luck finding some. They do make a similar style one just look at their Web site. You can also look into custom wheels for like a 87 -95 jeep wrangler as its same bolt pattern and there will be options as far as 16s thru 22s. My particular wheels have all 0 offset
Bs 4.5 on front bs 5 on back

Here is a pic of my friends 78 magnum on 20" wheels. They are 9.5" wide on 275 45s
20150307_172838.jpg

I have a 78 magnum. It needs new tires wheels while I fix it up. I don't want to buy my "final" wheel tire combo yet. I just need wheels/tires to drive on for a year or two...and to do it on the cheep!!! Used wheel and tires in the traditional b-body sizes are impossible to find. If I get some Jeep wheels (probably 17") what tires can I put on them.

Auto Transport Service
Back