• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lashing valves

I lash cold and check mine every 12 passes.
I've checked twice hot to see how much they loosen up.

I’m on a flat tappet cam, so perhaps I’m not applicable. But I lash once a YEAR; and use the 90* method. I figure a year for me is about 75-100 passes depending on how well I do. For the first few years with this engine I’d do it far more regularly and see more street miles, but would constantly find no change. So I backed off to an annual routine. Just did it the other day at mid season... no appreciable variances. Obviously I listen and pay attention closely and if I felt reason to check them due to potential issue, I would.

Like most, I lash cold. It’s the only way to be consistent. Checked them hot a couple of times and found .005 growth, so I regularly look for .013 intake to achieve .018 hot; and .015 exhaust to achieve .020 hot.

My street car runs a solid flat tappet. It gets once a year. The racecar gets it often because its a .800" solid roller. Got to keep an eye on the lifters.
Doug

My Racecar, Street car, and show car are one in the same. So basically it’s a not really good at anything. Lol

doug how much tighter do you set yours from what the cam card says? when setting them cold with a iron block and aluminum heads.

Back in the day I'd set the lash cold, & check a few hot, iron block/iron head, big cams(mushroom or solid roller). Hot usually got about .002 tighter. With the newer iron block/alum head I set them cold about .004 tighter than the card, recheck a few hot & they come out on card spec.
With the iron block/iron head drag motors they'd stay about the same for 2-3 weeks between checks(40 runs). If they changed much I'd change the adjusting screws.

The base circle shouldn't have any dips.... Which what you describe sounds like a dip... In theory the valve needs the lash to assure the valve closes fully so heat can transfer from the valve to the seat.... But then again racers tweak the lash to slightly alter duration so you have room to play with and I don't think .002 is critical... The EOIC is just that, at the point of the exhaust lash being taken away & the valve moving but before it crests the lobe you set the intake... And as the Intake is closing but before it hits the base circle you adjust the exhaust...

Again, .002 won't make or break ya..

yep works great too

Auto Transport Service
Back