• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf spring adjustment (tire rub)

Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought a 69 Satellite and there‘s a little issue with a rubbing tire at the right rear wheelwell (got 275‘s). Will it work when I replace the shackles with a 2 inch longer flat bar? If yes which steel should I use car got a 350hp 318 block

(I can send more pictures the next days car is currently in sweden needs to be shipped to my country)

Thanks!

886daa09-50fb-4ddf-bc8e-754351888f33.jpeg

If you can find a 66-67 housing[narrower], you'll gain some room on the outside. You'll have to move or modify the spring perches.

I had the same issues w/my 68 X. I bought two “add a leafs” from summit - basically half leafs easy to put on your stack - were only about $40 when I bought them. Raised the car 2” perfect for the anti-rub solution.

Looks like some wheels with more backspacing would also solve your problem.

If you can find a 66-67 housing[narrower], you'll gain some room on the outside. You'll have to move or modify the spring perches.
You would gain about an inch on each side using '66-'67 housing. Spring perches are the same. No need for change.

My rear passenger side rubs under heavy load. Axle pokes out a ¹/⁸" more on that side.

275/60's will fit your car easily with correct back-spaced wheels. Otherwise, you can buy shackles to lift the rear very cheaply rather than make your own.

275/60's will fit your car easily with correct back-spaced wheels. Otherwise, you can buy shackles to lift the rear very cheaply rather than make your own.
We may deal with the tire rubbing issue mostly on the rear driver side. It got new 275/0 bfg's from 4Wheelonline just last week. Gonna order shackles.

Auto Transport Service
Back