• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lowering suggestions... 67 Belvedere.

closer9

Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
So, my car is already lowered. I set it up on a very low budget back in 2006. She's a 318/727, power steering and brakes, but no A/C. Could see adding A/C someday, but not soon.

I have decided it's time to make some changes and drive her more. One of those is upgrading suspension and brakes.

Currently I'm running the original control arms with 0.089" torsion bars lowered to within maybe 3/4" of the factory bump stops, but they have been replaced with low profile buttons.

In the rear I'm running +1" leafs, because I didn't realized just how bad the old springs had sagged. A few years ago I got tired of the butt in the air and added some 1.25" blocks.

Brakes are stock drum in back with Scarebird discs on drum spindles in front. I've replaced the booster and added a MP aluminum master with SSBC prop valve in back. Not sure the prop valve is needed, but I was originally running a different master.

Shocks are KYB Gas A Just front and rear.

I've also done a Firm Feel stage II power steering box and other than not having enough caster she drives, steers and brakes good enough.

My thoughts are to get a set of Firm Feel tubular upper control arms for more caster, larger torsion bars (but how much larger?), disc spindles (not dropped), better front and rear discs (haven't researched kits yet), Bilstein shocks, flip or replace the front leaf hangers and remove the blocks (add shims for pinion angle if necessary).

Does this sound like the right direction? I want a firm, but not harsh ride. Wheels are 17"/18", 7" wide, but would have to check on backspace.

20200820_200558.jpg

I don't like my cars riding like a 3/4 ton pickup going down the highway so never went with the fat torsion bars and stiff leafs. Instead, fatter sway bars was what I liked. Got my 66 Belvedere down fairly low, dialed in all the caster I could get and enough camber that it was noticeable to the naked eye. Just doing that surprised me and the car still had the stock springs at all 4 corners. I did lighten up the car by 420 lbs so that helped I'm sure. Better wheels, tires AND shocks didn't hurt. The car was a /6 auto with factory air that was still working so yeah, kept that on there! If you can find a rear sway bar kit for your car, get it and yes, get the back end down. In the 70's I put in 3" lowering blocks in a 67 Coronet and lowered the bars down to within a 1/2" of the stock stops and just doing that helped more than I thought it would....and you have a nice looking car too!

I forgot to mention I have Addco sway bars. The front is installed, the rear is still hanging on the wall with the bars for my C10.

Again, not looking for a stiff ride, just need to keep it off the bump stops. I've read through tons of threads here and on other forums, and there are just so many variables and opinions. Maybe I just need to contact Firm Feel and see what they recommend.

I plan to do control arms, bars and shocks first. I'll worry about rear and brakes later.

I forgot to mention I have Addco sway bars. The front is installed, the rear is still hanging on the wall with the bars for my C10.

Again, not looking for a stiff ride, just need to keep it off the bump stops. I've read through tons of threads here and on other forums, and there are just so many variables and opinions. Maybe I just need to contact Firm Feel and see what they recommend.

I plan to do control arms, bars and shocks first. I'll worry about rear and brakes later.
One way to keep it off the stops is to not travel down bumpy roads :D I'm not familiar with the stops you are using but I kept the stockers in mine because they are soft and easy on parts when making contact. I used to have a 9 second Duster and the guy that had it before me pulled out all the rubber bumpers and it made a heck of a racket on the launch. It sounded like the front end was going to fall out from under it but I knew it was using ALL the travel lol.

I contacted Firm Feel. They recommended their 1.12" bars and tubular control arms along with adjustable front hangers for the leafs.

I contacted Firm Feel. They recommended their 1.12" bars and tubular control arms along with adjustable front hangers for the leafs.
Well, don't like the ride with the 'big' stuff.....and never did. 1 1/8" bar is big.

Lowering spindles from magnum force will probably keep you off the bump stops (on lower control arm) but you will lose some travel so it’ll drive a bit stiff.
I’m pretty low and I think it rides great for how low it is but I did get the lowering spindle

Auto Transport Service
Back