• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf springs for handling

Several years back I read that the 71 e-body cars with 340s only got the TA steering set up as part of the 340 performance package....
That could very well be and it makes sense, however I am sure that not all of them got that set up.

That could very well be and it makes sense, however I am sure that not all of them got that set up.
Maybe someone here has one that's a late year build date and they will chime in. Don't remember the exact build date of mine but recall that it was a mid year build. I remember my Challenger's build date to the day since it was built on my birthday :) It wasn't a TA though....

I used to run fast ratio arms with my Firm Feel stage 2 box. It handled pretty well, but the fast ratio arms increase the steering effort considerably (about 5x as much). Not quite as much as manual steering, but almost.

With another track day coming up (Oct 22’), I kept the fast ratio arms on the car. Honestly I love it. It’s fast but anyone can still drive it. Because I drive one handed (hanging on in a bench seat and the 4speed), it’s easier steering the car out on the track.

So the fast ratio arms increased the steering effort 5X for 68 Sport Satellite, but they made steering easier for Superbeemike? That doesn't seem right.

I agree with Dwayne.....the Fast Ratio arms will increase the effort required to steer the car. It is simple leverage at work. It takes more energy to spin a tall tire than a short one as well.
I had a Stage 3 steering box and FR arms. The steering effort was really high, almost like a 16 to 1 manual steering car. I would have lived with it if it were not for that free play in the center of range.

I'm concerned that you guys are/were feeling that much extra force through the power steering system. I'm wondering if that effect comes from overheating the power steering fluid, causing the pump to become ineffective. 5X more force might also be producing 5X more wear and tear on the steering box, and who wants to replace a Borgeson steering box every 20k miles?

I have stage 3 boxes with FR arms on both my 70 Challenger RT and my 73 Cuda, I think the term "harder" is a misnomer. It box and arms make the steering significantly "firmer" meaning that any input to the wheel has an immediate effect at the tires. I do not feel that the amount of steering effort required to say turn the wheels lock to lock is "5X" more, but that said given the VERY slushy mystery feel of a stock box I would content that the effort could be 5X more, BUT this does not mean it is bad rather that it is relative.

I would not worry about the fluid getting any more hot than normal.

So the fast ratio arms increased the steering effort 5X for 68 Sport Satellite, but they made steering easier for Superbeemike? That doesn't seem right.
I think he means it is easier for him to drive one handed, not that the steering arm takes less effort.

5X more effort would be hard to fathom. Makes me wonder what their daily driver is and what they are used to for effort. For me, my daily driver is an 04.5 Ram dually quad cab 2X long bed Cummins with R&P. The effort on that is higher than my wife's Flex and some others but duh, its a one ton dually, not a Caddy.

5X more effort would be hard to fathom. Makes me wonder what their daily driver is and what they are used to for effort. For me, my daily driver is an 04.5 Ram dually quad cab 2X long bed Cummins with R&P. The effort on that is higher than my wife's Flex and some others but duh, its a one ton dually, not a Caddy.
Not comparing to daily driver. The 5x "estimate" is 1968 Plymouth power steering with the Firm Feel modified stage 2 box vs stage 2 + fast ratio arms. If you have driven a fast ratio arm setup then you'll understand. Even full manual steering is not unmanageable, I've driven that before, but if you're autocrossing like I've done a few times with this car, being able to quickly and predictably turn in rapid succession offers different levels of enjoyment depending on the setup.

Auto Transport Service
Back