• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leak at trans bolt on rear of 727?

Nismobishi

Local time
12:09 PM
Reaction score
Hello,
I am chasing a leak and I went to look for the rod hole that usually leaks and gets blamed on the pan gasket. The one at the rear that has an o-ring in it. Well, my 1964 727 does not have it, however it has this weird bolt above the parking lock cover that will spin both ways but will not tighten or loosen. It looks like fluid is seeping out from behind the bolt head. Anyway, cleaned it off and covered in RTV. I am currently waiting for it to dry.

What is this mysterious bolt???

Also, what could these aluminum looking flakes be that I found in the trans pan?

By the way, the pink stuff is transmission safe LockTite brand silicone that I spread on the pan side of the new gasket.

20230508_141335.jpg

20230508_141304.jpg

20230508_141327.jpg

20230508_143548.jpg

20230508_143544.jpg

20230508_143527.jpg

The parking pawl swings on that bolt. It's a long one. Your main case is likely stripped if that bolt doesn't tighten nor back out.

The parking pawl swings on that bolt. It's a long one. Your main case is likely stripped if that bolt doesn't tighten nor back out.
Ok, so that bolt goes into the fluid then? That's gotta be my leak! There is always a wetness on the bottom of that bolt and it seams to run from there down to the parking pawl cover and drips off. It looks like there is a drain plug washer behind that bolt head.

I have never been to totally eradicate the very slight seepage at the rear of my push button trans. What 's been done; stoned the park housing flat along with the tail shaft park cable housing surface, new park cable O ring, crimp on park cable sealed with heat shrink, thicker gasket for park housing, Teflon thread sealer on park housing plug, various types seals at the rear band pivot bolt, Teflon on the pivot bolt, Teflon on the tail shaft housing bolts that go through the case, new tail shaft gaskets. The leak is not the pan itself but appears to be above it. Still get a slight drip now and then. Good luck.
Doug

I have never been to totally eradicate the very slight seepage at the rear of my push button trans. What 's been done; stoned the park housing flat along with the tail shaft park cable housing surface, new park cable O ring, crimp on park cable sealed with heat shrink, thicker gasket for park housing, Teflon thread sealer on park housing plug, various types seals at the rear band pivot bolt, Teflon on the pivot bolt, Teflon on the tail shaft housing bolts that go through the case, new tail shaft gaskets. The leak is not the pan itself but appears to be above it. Still get a slight drip now and then. Good luck.
Doug
That's a lot of repairs you did! So is this a push button trans? Because my shifter is on the floor console. I don't have a park button or anything.

Also, what is the rear band pivot bolt? Is that the bolt in my picture? Lefty71 mentioned that that bolt is the parking pawl pivot.

The floor shift 64/65 trans operates the same as a push button. The rear cable operates the park pawl. Yes that is the rear band pivot bolt. on a later 727, the pivot is replaced by a press in pin. I've been building and racing push button autos since the early 90's
Doug

The floor shift 64/65 trans operates the same as a push button. The rear cable operates the park pawl. Yes that is the rear band pivot bolt. on a later 727, the pivot is replaced by a press in pin. I've been building and racing push button autos since the early 90's
Doug
That's good info! Thank you.

Your parking cable retainer lock is broke off. It should be leaking from there as well.
Screenshot_20230508-220921_Adblock Browser.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back