• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaking Power Steering Pump

Kuch

Local time
10:37 PM
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a 440 in my 65’ Plymouth Belvedere II.
The power steering pump is leaking a fair bit.
I believe it’s the TRW type pump.
Are these pumps still in production, I can’t find them for sale anywhere.
Attached some pics for reference in case I have got the pump wrong.

What’s the best option if not available?

Thanks,
Matty

IMG_8653.jpeg

IMG_8652.jpeg

IMG_8651.jpeg

IMG_8650.jpeg

Me personally, I would convert to a Saginaw. 440 Source has them for a good price and the brackets. You may need to replace the pressure line to the gear box as well. Lot's of options for Saginaw pumps, less so for trw.

Can you get a seal kit for TRW pumps? I resealed my Saginaw, it was pretty simple…

Also, check out this thread... very good info a guy posted earlier this year...

Where is the leak? If the can, it can be replaced or repaired, if it is not the o-ring. Should still be able to get basic rebuild kit. Also are the bolts tight on back of can. Don't give up that pully if you do get a replacement pump. Pulley has to be for BB and you know that one is. It is a TRW pump probably the small version. Large was on bigger cars.

I have the same pump on my 65 Sport Fury. It was leaking at the front seal. I bought a replacement seal from Napa but it was skinnier that the original and also leaked. (actually worse) If your front seal is leaking, get the Mopar pn 2279997. Or kit 2495054 will get you the O ring also.

Personally I would send it to steer and gear in Ohio top notch pump and box rebuilders ...I am very happy with their work!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back