• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lean burn Thermoquad differences from non-lean burn

XCELLR8

Local time
3:57 PM
Reaction score
Are there any differences between the two Thermoquads? ( Lean burn to non- lean burn)

Most cars that the lean burn system has been removed, including mine, have an aftermarket carb on it. I have been told that the lean burn carbs have extra features for the lean burn system. Truth or rumor.

TIA

Are there any differences between the two Thermoquads? ( Lean burn to non- lean burn)

Most cars that the lean burn system has been removed, including mine, have an aftermarket carb on it. I have been told that the lean burn carbs have extra features for the lean burn system. Truth or rumor.

TIA
Short answer-Yes! Lean burn TQ's have a throttle position sensor, throttle stop sensor, etc. Some even have an altitude compensator.
Believe it or not they weren't jetted overly lean--remember with running EGR the engine draws back in more exhaust gasses to "re-burn" in the combustion chamber.
The biggest drawback with most Leanburn era TQ's is the lack of a ported vacuum signal at the carb for your vacuum advance (because the computer controlled that).
My opinion is if you really want to run a Thermo Quad get hands on or find someone who knows them very well -- they have some other caveats but are an excellent street carb if understood and maintained :thumbsup:

We usually took the rubber diagram off the bowl vent on the lean burn rather then dealing with a weak solenoid or finding keyed power to operate it . They ran ok but the pre lean burns are much better.

Yes, The guy you want to get in touch with is Dave @ Woodruff Carb Specialty in Ohio, tell him Frank from Ed's Welding sent you ! You will not be disappointed !

Short answer-Yes! Lean burn TQ's have a throttle position sensor, throttle stop sensor, etc. Some even have an altitude compensator.
Believe it or not they weren't jetted overly lean--remember with running EGR the engine draws back in more exhaust gasses to "re-burn" in the combustion chamber.
The biggest drawback with most Leanburn era TQ's is the lack of a ported vacuum signal at the carb for your vacuum advance (because the computer controlled that).
My opinion is if you really want to run a Thermo Quad get hands on or find someone who knows them very well -- they have some other caveats but are an excellent street carb if understood and maintained :thumbsup:

Thank you. I didn't want to waste time or $$ on my Leanburn TQ if it is going to be a pain. I'll just keep it in the box on the shelf.

A old friend of mine had a lean burn car. He turned off the engine and opened the hood and the exhaust Manifolds were glowing orange from the heat! ( Of course it was dark outside) I thought WOW! That can't be good.
Was this normal? Or was it running too lean?

A old friend of mine had a lean burn car. He turned off the engine and opened the hood and the exhaust Manifolds were glowing orange from the heat! ( Of course it was dark outside) I thought WOW! That can't be good.
Was this normal? Or was it running too lean?
My opinion would be too lean and/or retarded timing.

Throttle kick solenoids and similar external gadgets come right off. As noted, the main fail of the ELB carb is no vac signal for the distributor. It's actually pretty easy to drill a hole in the throttle plate and add the pre elb fitting.

There's a few different varieties of smog air horns and one to watch out for is CCIE equipped. I looping back to block off a couple ports on one again.

Auto Transport Service
Back