• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leap of faith! - GTX is in other folks' hands now (tranny/clutch swap)

When swapping in a 4 speed, the EASIEST way to do it is to cut the head off 2 bolts, cut a groove so a flat head screwdriver can be used and thread them in the bottom 2 holes. Stab in the 4 speed, install the top 2 bolts, undo the bottom 2 alignment bolts and thread in your regular bolts. No fighting that heavy chunk of iron. Take 3-5 minutes and it’s done.
I know how to do it; Lord knows how many times I have over the years.
As a 4-time cancer survivor, though, the time came to be wise enough to let another do it for me.
I don't like admitting that - not one damn bit.

Man I can remember back in the day about 49yrs ago I must of removed and replaced that 833 trans at lease 4 times in the street on front of the house in my 68 RR by myself with no jack stands of cause I was only 20 at the time. A friend of mine said why U keep changing that pressure plate with the stock one when U can use a hemi one which I did. Never blew that clutch again and I use to go the the track every week end and beat the **** out of that 383 4 speed car So fast forward today now I’m 68 years old and I’m about to pull out the 383 ( unfortunately not the same car ) of the 68 RR I have now and put in a different 383 with about 550hp. Was thinking about getting that hemi pressure plate again, but I do remember it was a lot harder pushing down on that clutch pedal. So let me know how U make out with your set up. PS your car looks really good going down the street. Also at 68 I don’t know if I have it in me. Stay tuned!
Yep, doing this swap at 20 - or even 50 - is a whole 'nother thing for sure.
Now, it would be no more difficult, but it could very well be damaging in ways they can't fix anymore on me.
If only I had a nice lift to get under the thing....
I also agree the most fun I ever had with these animals is when I had a heavy stock "hemi" clutch in 'em.
That's why I'm going back with something similar this time.
Thanks for the compliment on the old girl.
I guess I should give her a name by now, eh?:thumbsup:

I'll be 68 in May....and most of my back problems come from when my now X owned a furniture store but it didn't help that I worked in construction, the steel industry AND for a refinery as a machinist.
We do what we do - only have to pay for it later, if we're blessed enough to still be around. :)

Geez 4 time survivor U must of went through hell. In life nothing is a guarantee day to day. Enjoy your car she is a beauty

Geez 4 time survivor U must of went through hell. In life nothing is a guarantee day to day. Enjoy your car she is a beauty
Thanks. Nah, my road has been easy compared to some, just a lot of down time and a few missing/rearranged parts.
I'm truly blessed. Beats me why, but I'll take it. :thumbsup:

Small Update: Dude was checking out under my car today and tells me the guy who did my ball joints back when managed to tear up my tie rod ends/boots in the process. Reckon those get replaced next. :mad:

Apparently he's home from work and working on the GTX already.
I just got this pic via text:
old trans out small.jpg

Two things of note in this pic:
1. That purty Barracuda!
2. The shifter plate is about to fall off the dang transmission.
Damn, I hate relying on others to do this work. Last dude thought that was a properly installed plate....:mad:

You might ask if the plate is tight since it looks like it might not be.....

Did you text him back to ask if it was indeed loose?

Maybe this will help...
View attachment 743276
He specifically texted that pic to me to see if I'd catch the loose adapter plate.
Of course, I did, right away - once I got done staring at that pretty Barracuda again. :)
I also caught that raggedy bottom bolt being used on the plate, instead of the proper pretty flush screw that should have been there...

Latest report from the fellow doing the swap for me is that everything went real well
except for one little thing...
I forgot to bring along the old, original crossmember he needs, since the transmission
going in is a '67 and the one coming out is the special one Brewer's sells for mounting
'70-up into older cars.
Oops.
Untitled2.png

The Brewer's piece. Reckon it won't be needed now.
Guess I could sell it?

I'll get this one down to him tomorrow so he can wrap things up:
Untitled.png

new trans crossmember and fork boot 3-29-17.jpg

Last edited:
Update again.... *sigh*.
Everything was going great and the bellhousing even indexed within tolerance.
The mechanic got to my cobbled up z-bar and came to a screeching halt. :(
Hey, he's a stickler for doing it right. That's what I want, so no fussing there.

I get Dan Brewer on the phone and holler for help (again).
I tell you what, that man is all I'll ever deal with concerning transmissions and such.
On the way direct to the mechanic:
http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.php?prod=TS914
TS914.jpg

Glad you're getting it done right! Seems the current mechanic is a keeper.

Auto Transport Service
Back