• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED's are Light Pollution

These will probably solve the problem.

1707225802238.png

Those would match my Petty blue Challenger convertible perfectly! I simply must have a pair of them!

20221015_164702.jpg

It’s drilled down to this: The only way to stop a bad guy with LED’s is a good guy with LED’s. I’m stopping at the Chrome King truck supply store today. My ride will be seen from the space station.

A couple of these would send a message.

on-candlepower-spotlight-emergency-power-station-2.jpg

The modern duel, 10 paces, turn around and on command light up your adversary!:up: no :upyours:

This is at the entrance to the football HOF. I don’t understand how it’s legal.

IMG_2661.jpeg

This is at the entrance to the football HOF. I don’t understand how it’s legal.

View attachment 1606280

Go get a clunker, run it into that light pole (at slow speed), then call Saul Goodman or the closest shyster lawyer you can find. "Man, that light blinded me. I'm emotionally broken and might never be able to drive at night again due to fear of bright lights". Sounds like it's be good for a couple million?

You need to get a better lawyer, since your wife no longer is able to participate in marital relations and is therefore also harmed by this accident.

It doesn't matter the light source.

The problem is the OPTICS.

Optics are the focusing apparatus - lens, reflector, and the geometry from the source, to the apparatus, and from there to the environment.

It doesn't matter what your source is, if it is focused wrong, it will either blind people or it will be totally ineffective.

Color temperature (kelvin) can partially affect it. The human eye is least sensitive to blue light. You can shove thousands of lumens of blue light downrange and not be able to see ****. Send the same lumens of light between 3000k and 4500k (amber to daylight), and you'll see EVERYTHING.

People have been brainwashed that "yellow light bad, white light good".

Sorta.

Yellow is seen as a version of "weak" lighting; a synonym of "dim". Fact is, warm lighting works very well if you have good lumens behind it. Yellow cuts through haze and fog. White bounces off it and reflects backing your face.

I have a set of H4 sealed beam conversion lamps in my Charger. They are an "E-code" European beam pattern, with a hard upper cutoff on low beam that has an angled bump up on the right (shoulder) side for signage and visibility. I use HID bulbs in the low beams, and LED in the high beams. 4500k low beam color (daylight), 3000k (amber) high beams. Aimed correctly. Effective for me, lots of light downrange, nobody is blinded.

I just put LED replacements in my Wrangler. Had them aimed a bit too high, got flashed a lot. Aimed them down a bit (more correct; I admit I installed them on a rainy night and didn't get them quite right)...no more flashing, still plenty effective.

All the light in the world does you no good, if your optics don't put it where you need it.

LED replacement bulbs in non-LED housings tend to work like crap, because the LED source isn't quite aligned properly to the reflectors. HID, they tend to have the source positioned properly and you get better results.

If you change your lights... AIM THEM PROPERLY. You will see better. And you won't blind people coming towards you. But, LED vs HID vs incandescent isn't nearly as much a factor, as proper installation and aiming.

I agree for the most part but to use a shutter on the head lamp that doesn’t change the intensity of light it just changes how far it reaches out. Where as old vehicles actually change the output via two different elements, one 45 and the other 65watts. My wife’s new grand Cherokee L is a prime example. It’s not fair to oncoming traffic if the intensity doesn’t get reduced. Until they get this figured out .... nothing will change. Adjusting the lights is a requirement but few do it. I am in favor of them but not until they figure them out.

I agree for the most part but to use a shutter on the head lamp that doesn’t change the intensity of light it just changes how far it reaches out. Where as old vehicles actually change the output via two different elements, one 45 and the other 65watts. My wife’s new grand Cherokee L is a prime example. It’s not fair to oncoming traffic if the intensity doesn’t get reduced. Until they get this figured out .... nothing will change. Adjusting the lights is a requirement but few do it. I am in favor of them but not until they figure them out.
I think you are missing the main point.
"Optics" directs where the intensity is aimed.
if it is not aimed, any intensity can be blinding.
If it is not aimed in oncoming drivers eyes, the intensity has no negatives.
An LED by itself effectively has few focusing aspects. Lens design and or shudders help direct/block the LED intensity, and seems to be the area most lacking in current aftermarket and some OEM LED offerings, but not all, and that is where IMO the problem resides.

I think you may misunderstand how this headlamp assembly works. The LED has on/off not a variable output. The LED pattern is controlled by the optics, the high/ low is open and close of the shutter. Aftermarket LED assemblies may turn on or off additional LEDs if they can’t use a shutter

I think you may misunderstand how this headlamp assembly works. The LED has on/off not a variable output. The LED pattern is controlled by the optics, the high/ low is open and close of the shutter. Aftermarket LED assemblies may turn on or off additional LEDs if they can’t use a shutter
You are right, I have no clue what you are referring to on "variable output", etc. Not sure if we agree on what a "shutter" solution here is nor if it's a very sophisticated/effecient solution in this context.
I'll repeat my point, if light is not directed into the oncoming drivers' eyes, it matters little how bright the light source is.
Properly design "Optics" that are aimable are the main solution for that goal, not the intensity, number of nor the color temp of LED's, those are mainly subjective changes.

Last edited:
Excurse me a minute . All this finger pointing is aimed at the wrong folks . It's our government we should all be asking to resolve this. .It the regulators after all that are sole reason for the discomfort we all are being force to deal with .
https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/ResearchReportEuroSpecvsUSHeadlamps.pdf
The long and short of the article is that European cars are allowed to utilize the technology to make the most use of the Led lights without blinding oncomimg traffic . Now isn't that what we all want ?

Excurse me a minute . All this finger pointing is aimed at the wrong folks . It's our government we should all be asking to resolve this. .It the regulators after all that are sole reason for the discomfort we all are being force to deal with .
https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/ResearchReportEuroSpecvsUSHeadlamps.pdf
The long and short of the article is that European cars are allowed to utilize the technology to make the most use of the Led lights without blinding oncomimg traffic . Now isn't that what we all want ?
Maybe, but its seems to me if an educated/informed/civil minded/etc customer or buyer of aftermarket LED lights knew what they were buying, they might stop or be shamed intro not buying LED crap that so many are installing apparently.
I'm also of the mindset government is rather dumb by definition and mainly follows the consensus of the people, and when the people are dumb, dumb government results, hence the predicament we currently share, in so many ways.

The gob't can't resolve a peanut butter sandwich.
As we approach the 50% tax rate, maybe people should stop asking for more gob't.

Anyway, people are in love with the scientifically proven UV/blue/white light human tissue destroying light sources and more is always better apparently, even if performance is worse and worse and it makes things less and less safe.

This morning I had to flash (on and off about 12 times rapidly) my 25 year old "yellow" dakota high beams because there were three tiny white tails crossing the highway. The oncoming FERD with his rediculous lights apparently could not see them despite being closer to them then I was. I did not relish the idea of a flying half a deer landing on the hood of my truck so I flashed him a bunch of times so he tapped the brakes and slowed down. When he got about 40 feet from them he slammed on the brakes.

Auto Transport Service
Back