• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Left handed Lugs on a 68

See, controversy! Some say A-body slant six sbp drum brake cars used lht thru 75.
This is false.
Base model slant six A bodies were fitted with 4 wheel 9" small bolt pattern drum brakes even into 1976. I've owned a couple 1970s, a 1971, 3 1972s, several 1973s and 74s, one 1975 and a few 1976 models. The LEFT hand thread lugs were not on the 1972 and later cars that I owned.
I have heard but cannot confirm that the A body cars built after Jan 1 1976 had to have front disc brakes as per Federal law.

Another note on this question. I swapped the 8-3/4 rear from a 1972 D 100 pickup into my 78 D100. The 72 truck had RH lugs on both sides. I would have changed them over to RH to match the others on the 78 truck if they had been LH.

Another note on this question. I swapped the 8-3/4 rear from a 1972 D 100 pickup into my 78 D100. The 72 truck had RH lugs on both sides. I would have changed them over to RH to match the others on the 78 truck if they had been LH.
I stuck an 8 3/4 into my 79 D150 from a 68 and don't remember it having LH lugs. Maybe someone changed them before I got it? Also had a 69 D100 but don't remember what it had.....and can't remember ever having a tire off with that thing.

My '73 Satellite definitely had right-hand all the way around.

My '73 Satellite definitely had right-hand all the way around.
I'm thinking 71-72 were the transition years? Lots of people say their 72 had RH all the way around. Maybe some models did and some didn't....like my 72 Challenger still had LH on it.

I believe for passenger cars, 69 (maybe 70 ) was the last year for LH lugs. I don't recall ever servicing a 71-newer Mopar with LH lugs.
1669387054025.png

Last edited:
I thought 70 was the last year too. For cars anyway. I can't remember any of my 71 and up cars having LH but I've owned a lot of them and don't remember everything about all of them. As I stated before my 73 W200 has LH studs.

to the original post
If you can see the stud end, any left hand threaded studs on the drivers side will be stamped on the face of the stud with an "L".

71's had all right hand thread. I remember constantly having to tighten up the left rear mag nuts on my 71 Challenger. After about 20 or 30 powershifts they would loosen off. Made me a believer in Left hand threads.

71's had all right hand thread. I remember constantly having to tighten up the left rear mag nuts on my 71 Challenger. After about 20 or 30 powershifts they would loosen off. Made me a believer in Left hand threads.
Well, doesn't explain why my 72 Challenger had LH's on it. It only had 40k miles on it when I bought it in mid 74 and can't see anyone installing LH stuff on it.....I mean most would remove the LH stuff and not install it. Whenever I bought a used car the first thing I did to them was change the oil and check the brakes for wear etc.

Somebody before you replaced the bent left axle with one from a 70 in the JY. I've had tons of 70 and 71 cars, LH threads on a 71 or later would be an anomoly.

Well, doesn't explain why my 72 Challenger had LH's on it. It only had 40k miles on it when I bought it in mid 74 and can't see anyone installing LH stuff on it.....I mean most would remove the LH stuff and not install it. Whenever I bought a used car the first thing I did to them was change the oil and check the brakes for wear etc.
Hey... what was "technically" correct, and what was reality, sometimes different. Who knows maybe they used LH on some "Dodge" models afterward ? It was something I was aware of, since I snapped off 2 studs in the garage on a Dodge I was fighting to remove lugs on the left side. Until the old-timer told the young numbskull ( me) to turn the lug the other way !

Hey... what was "technically" correct, and what was reality, sometimes different. Who knows maybe they used LH on some "Dodge" models afterward ? It was something I was aware of, since I snapped off 2 studs in the garage on a Dodge I was fighting to remove lugs on the left side. Until the old-timer told the young numbskull ( me) to turn the lug the other way !
And knowing how Chrysler did things, they weren't into not using the stuff that was already on hand. I never worked for ChryCo but knew people that did. Have a friend that worked on the lines and his whole family worked for the company in some capacity including his mom and dad and brothers. The only company that I knew that didn't mind wasting money was Exxon! I worked for them for 26 years and man, you wouldn't believe some of the stuff they threw away.

And knowing how Chrysler did things, they weren't into not using the stuff that was already on hand. I never worked for ChryCo but knew people that did. Have a friend that worked on the lines and his whole family worked for the company in some capacity including his mom and dad and brothers. The only company that I knew that didn't mind wasting money was Exxon! I worked for them for 26 years and man, you wouldn't believe some of the stuff they threw away.
Did you dumpster-dive?

I worked in the Exxon oil shale mine here back in the 80's. Government funded experimental mining and processing of trying to suck oil out of rock. Man, Exxon wasted so much money and equipment it was hard to comprehend. Then one day they said screw it and shut down the mine.

I worked in the Exxon oil shale mine here back in the 80's. Government funded experimental mining and processing of trying to suck oil out of rock. Man, Exxon wasted so much money and equipment it was hard to comprehend. Then one day they said screw it and shut down the mine.
I remember that! And iirc, they asked us if a few were interested in going there temporarily and no one did lol. Also remember the company pulling out of it not too long after.

Auto Transport Service
Back