• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Left lane losers be gone!!

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:19 AM
Reaction score
Typically....the law didn't materialize until a lawmaker was inconvenienced traveling to the capitol. NOT because the public has been pulling their hair out for decades....lol.

A Miami highway shown at night

A Miami highway shown at night© Getty
Feds have approved a state bill fining drivers for hogging left highway lanes.

The measure would penalize Florida motorists for using the far-left lane on roads with speed limits of 65 miles per hour or more unless they're passing vehicles or preparing to turn left.

Transportation officials approved the bill to increase road safety and efficiency, Tallahassee Democrat reports.

However, there are some exceptions to the proposed law.

Drivers could utilize left highway lanes if they followed Florida's Move Over law requiring motorists to change lanes away from the roadside if any vehicle is stopped and displaying hazard lights, emergency flares, or emergency signage.

Jacksonville, Florida traffic at sunset

Lawmakers have enacted Move Over rules nationwide to protect those parked roadside, like emergency vehicles, from getting hit by passing traffic.

Florida drivers could also utilize a highway's left lane if directed by law enforcement, an official traffic control device, or if they're operating an emergency vehicle or trying to avoid something in the road.

Republican Florida House of Representatives member Jenna Parsons, a new left lane bill supporter, said: "All of us who travel back and forth to Tallahassee experience frustration on the major highways and frustration caused by drivers impeding the flow of traffic in the left lane.

"This creates a dangerous situation when drivers unnecessarily camp out in the left lane.

"It leads to blocking traffic flow, less predictability, more encounters, more passing maneuvers, and more opportunities for accidents."

This Florida bill, heading to the Infrastructure Strategies committee, would slap violators with a non-criminal moving violation carrying a $158 maximum fine.

The Transportation & Modals subcommittee approved the bill last week.

There’s 3 lanes of traffic and now Floriduh wants people to only use 2 of those lanes. That’s pretty ****’n stupid!

It doesn't matter what anyone in FLA wants, as long as the elites aren't inconvenienced...

We have had the "left lane passing only" law here for a few years. Has helped some I guess. Still have those flat landers going up a 7% grade doing 25 under in the left lane.

Squatters are a PIA. Lead. Follow. Get out of the way. Even the Uber drivers don’t get it. I-4 is a mess.

Georgia enacted the slow poke law for the left lane hogs. Just another law that isn't enforced.

Same here. There's a law, rarely enforced. How about 2 18 wheelers side by side for miles. Both governed at 65 mph. Those are fleet owned trucks though. The cattle and pig haulers run 85 in any lane they want.

I've never given a rat's-*** why people camp in the fast and faster lanes. GTFOTW. Most are just inconsiderate ********.

When I’m traveling 10 - 15 mph over the limit and I notice there is someone coming up on me, I move over. I’m happy to let the Bear bate pass me by. No problem!

I’m annoyed at speed limit or less travelers in the go fast lane when there is plenty of room or just don’t want to let you pass. They just sit there motoring along at the limit or less while the middle and right lanes pass them by.

That’s my “WTF are you doing!” Moment.

Californians are the worst for staying in the left lane. Sorry guys, just way it is. It is the way they are used to driving because of their stupid split speed limit. Have followed them across many other states watching them in the left lane all the way. Making everyone pass them on the right. Here when the left lane is all clogged up it's usually because of a Prius with CA plates.

@Ghostrider 67: GOOD LUCK with that stuff!!! NJ REVISED their "39.4-82" law 10 years ago, still not working; center & left lane pokes EVERY WHERE!!! You got to deal with them crazy/nuts MASS drivers (CT resident 19 84-88), we got Philly & NY down here. Governor directed NJSP to enforce 39.4-82, BOY THE STATE FLOODED from all the tears, SSOOO, back to the typical highway tie-ups. Right lane IS best for higher speeds & passing now.

Majority of FL ARE Northeast transplants, so there ya go!!!!

Gheezzz!!!! It has always been a part of the Rules of The Road, to keep right except to and when passing!!! It has been that way now for a very long time. I guess those left-lane Louie's and LuLu's never got that lesson in driver training back when it was a part of school. Nowadays, all training is conducted by private enterprises, making large sums of profit, not teaching that importance or neglecting it all together!!!:realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::usflag::usflag::usflag:

From my experience, a lot of the drivers who whine about left lane hogs do so because the "hog" is doing the speed limit and the whiners want to go faster.

If they would ticket people they would move right. But its just another law that will be passed and not enforced. Same with texting and driving.

Ticketing speeders does keep alot of people honest. I don’t text and drive because its f’n dangerous. I wish they would ticket left lane impeders more often.

There’s 3 lanes of traffic and now Floriduh wants people to only use 2 of those lanes. That’s pretty ****’n stupid!
It means get the heck over if you’re not passing another car (quickly). If you don’t understand that you’re one of the problems. Young drivers, all ages of women and illegals NEVER get out of that lane. My wife taught driver ed in high school and every kid argued that the left lane WAS the driving lane. That says it all right there!

From my experience, a lot of the drivers who whine about left lane hogs do so because the "hog" is doing the speed limit and the whiners want to go faster.
You don’t do ‘the speed limit’ in the left lane, that’s what the middle and right lanes are for. Left lane drivers are inherently selfish bums, it’s my right!

Auto Transport Service
Back