• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Left lane losers be gone!!

Confession; I drive in the left lane in Bartlesville. Every 4 lane city street the right hand lane is so damn rough I simply can’t abide by rule of the road. I do drive the speed limit or tick over when I do drive left lane.

Confession; I drive in the left lane in Bartlesville. Every 4 lane city street the right hand lane is so damn rough I simply can’t abide by rule of the road. I do drive the speed limit or tick over when I do drive left lane.
Has Bartlesville changed, I didn’t notice any different speed limits in the left or right lane.

keep-right-unless-to-pass-sign.jpg
slower-traffic-keep-right.jpg
It is the law here in TN - and they do sometimes actually enforce it.
Most other times, however - there's typically a rather "voluntary" enforcement of it
by fellow travellers also - if you catch my drift.

Talking Freeway. Not City/Surface Streets. I run left lane at 41 in a 35 on Curtner Avenue in San Jose. No enforcement. Most pass on right at 50 plus. Whole different subject.

I agree, get out the way. I don't care how fast you're going, if someone wants to go faster, get out of his way. I've driven in the left lanes for miles and miles at a time. You can believe I was on a roll, but if someone wants to go faster than I am, I keep watching in my mirror and if he's catching me, I get over and let him roll.

In this fine state of Missouri, "The Show Me State", many use the left lane when they're on the phone. It works great, get in the left lane out of everyone's way and drop to 10 below the speed limit and you don't have to watch for cars getting off or on, totally alone, except the pile of cars behind them. If they don't like it, go around, can't you see they're busy. The only people I never mess with are out of state drivers anywhere on the road. They may be hunting for a road, turning here or there or just lost. Driving is getting tough enough and it's worse if your not familiar with where you're at and someone is screwing with you.

Same speed limit right and left lane. Just alot more “pot holes” in right lane.
I was trying to be humorous.
Went to Spain, rented a car. We were driving in in the flatter part. Highway like an Interstate. Tractor units, driving close around 80mph in the right lane. Traffic in the left lane was moving much faster. We were in the left doing about 100 mph. Mercedes come flying up behind flashing its lights. First thought was crap police. I pulled over and it went on by. Next time it was something else, same thing. Then the lights came on, they want to pass. Traffic flowed very well.

When a lot of us started driving, the left was called the Passing Lane. It pretty much stuck with you, or not. It is pretty much ignored here in WNY, as the "entitled" have Abandoned Consideration for others, and the World is "all about Them"...
I have to add, after my recent road trip from NY to FL, the problem was Eastern Nationwide. The worst example is when the Semi's pull out, 2 or 3 wide, to pass, and do Not have the power to make the pass, thus creating a Rolling Log Jam. Neither Driver is willing to give in, and a 60mph Accident Zone is present. NEVER used to happen when the roads were populated by Professional Drivers, but now, with the Hacks, and Foreigners driving the Big Rigs, I'm surprised there are not More Deadly Accidents occurring. Never is any fun being trapped in the pack...

Went to Spain, rented a car. We were driving in in the flatter part. Highway like an Interstate. Tractor units, driving close around 80mph in the right lane. Traffic in the left lane was moving much faster. We were in the left doing about 100 mph. Mercedes come flying up behind flashing its lights. First thought was crap police. I pulled over and it went on by. Next time it was something else, same thing. Then the lights came on, they want to pass. Traffic flowed very well.
I suspected some sarcasm. Flash of the lights doesn’t seem to affect left lane pokeys around here.

Same way in Germany.....when I got stationed there and decided to get a car, we were instructed about driving 'American' style wasn't going to cut it. I remember getting passed up doing 130 by who knows what as it went by pretty fast lol. He, she, it was flashing the head lights, fog lights, driving lights and then some from waaaaaay back just to be sure the left lane was clear. There wasn't many cars on the autobahn out where I was so if people had a car that would go 150+, they did and let you know they were coming. You couldn't see the cars that far back but you could sure see the lights!

When a lot of us started driving, the left was called the Passing Lane. It pretty much stuck with you, or not. It is pretty much ignored here in WNY, as the "entitled" have Abandoned Consideration for others, and the World is "all about Them"...
I have to add, after my recent road trip from NY to FL, the problem was Eastern Nationwide. The worst example is when the Semi's pull out, 2 or 3 wide, to pass, and do Not have the power to make the pass, thus creating a Rolling Log Jam. Neither Driver is willing to give in, and a 60mph Accident Zone is present. NEVER used to happen when the roads were populated by Professional Drivers, but now, with the Hacks, and Foreigners driving the Big Rigs, I'm surprised there are not More Deadly Accidents occurring. Never is any fun being trapped in the pack...
In my travels I’ve noticed poorest driving manners in states that border the Atlantic. Especially at truck stop fuel pumps.

How many here have driven the Autobahn in Germany??? I venture to say not too many. I have and the stay right except to pass is strictly enforced and monitored and enforced and the costs are a hell of a lot more than here in the States!!! cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

It's a law here in Illinois also, but they do not seem to enforce it. I am a retired truck driver, 37 years, I have seen it all. I was very intolerant with people when I ran the West coast, and did some things that I shouldn't have. I mellowed a lot in my later years. If I was passing another truck, I kept an eye on rear upcoming traffic and would drop back and get out of the way. Did that one night at 1:00 in the morning, State trooper started to pass me, he made it about 2 car lengths in front of me and head onned a drunk driver. They both lived, would have been a different story if I had hit him. Another reason to stay out of the left lane at night, drunk drivers going the wrong way on the interstate. A lot of things enter into why truck drivers block the interstate when passing. Terrain, load weight, horsepower, wind and how fast the insurance companies will allow your top speed to be. I liked the law on paper, but out on the open road, it just didn't work.

This is a law that was not needed. We already have, nation wide, failure to yield laws, impeding traffic laws, and a slug of others.

I posted this elsewhere, but making a law, unless it is VERY specific, opens the door to enforcement abuse.
On the one hand, this will not help anything. Everyone is still going to be pissed, because if law enforcement wanted to they could be pulling people over for the last 50 years for failure to yield or impeding traffic.
They didn;t.
So they still won't.

but now, guess what? You are driving along by your lonesome at 2:30a.m. and it is pooring rain. you decide, after bouncing through the potholes and hydroplaning your car in the right lane, you will move to the left lane where condition is better and it has less pooled water.
OOPS!
now you are pulled over for breaking the left lane pass law just enacted, despite being all alone on the road and having a sound, logical reason to be in the left side.

BS you say?
In upper Michigan this was going rampant until finally a couple court cases got thrown out. I know this because my brother in law was fined despite being the only car on a 4 lane road. The cop had him there for 35 minutes, and still not one car showed going either way.

We do not need more laws all the time. More laws destroy our freedom and lead to abuse. If law enforcement monitored traffic flow and even if all they did was pull over one of the self absorbed types and had a chat for a while(no ticket, no warning, just impede their travel to let them know they were being a public danger/nuisance) then people would change. Another law isn't needed. Officers should be there for public safety. Too often they are there with a radar gun to make money. That is the issue, and this new law passed isn;t going to do anything but give them an alternative to the radar gun at the end of the month.

Topeka to OKC, was surprised how SSMMOOOTTTTHHHH the roads were, considering torna-dies, ice, heat etc... Right lane with cruise on doing (BBLLLEEEEPPPPP), 5-0 pulled up next to me, we nodded at each other, he took off, I LIKE OK, so does my HEMI!!! :lol:

Typically....the law didn't materialize until a lawmaker was inconvenienced traveling to the capitol. NOT because the public has been pulling their hair out for decades....lol.
View attachment 1573997
A Miami highway shown at night© Getty
Feds have approved a state bill fining drivers for hogging left highway lanes.

The measure would penalize Florida motorists for using the far-left lane on roads with speed limits of 65 miles per hour or more unless they're passing vehicles or preparing to turn left.

Transportation officials approved the bill to increase road safety and efficiency, Tallahassee Democrat reports.

However, there are some exceptions to the proposed law.

Drivers could utilize left highway lanes if they followed Florida's Move Over law requiring motorists to change lanes away from the roadside if any vehicle is stopped and displaying hazard lights, emergency flares, or emergency signage.

View attachment 1573998

Lawmakers have enacted Move Over rules nationwide to protect those parked roadside, like emergency vehicles, from getting hit by passing traffic.
Except based on most video of roadside encounters/sideswipes usually involved a drunk driver, a distracted/texting driver, and/or a vehicle out of control.
The new law and 12' does nothing to prevent or reduce those accidents.
Actually IMO a case could be made the move over law might cause more accidents by slower divers suddenly trying to move over.
Will see.

Same story for smoking on airline flights.
It will not be too long when it's discovered this keep right aw is NOT being enforced, the roads will see lots of "Lexus" toll lanes pop up, Gov vehicles being free.

Auto Transport Service
Back