• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Left lane losers be gone!!

In NJ, ALL government vehicles pay tolls, EZ Pass, shifting of funds from 1 dept to another, MONEY SHUFFLE for "budget" increases

You don’t do ‘the speed limit’ in the left lane, that’s what the middle and right lanes are for. Left lane drivers are inherently selfish bums, it’s my right!
When the slower lanes are blocked with under the speed limit cars. nobody has the right to insist another break the speed limit while doing a legal pass.
If you did not wake up early enough in the morning, it' not the fault of others.

You want to talk about "fair", why is it a CDL driver on personal time, in a personal vehicle, cannot take driving school to erase points for any personal vehicle moving violation, and that same restriction does not apply to anyone else on personal time, like Judges, lawyers, cops, EMS, etc?

Last edited:
This is a law that was not needed. We already have, nation wide, failure to yield laws, impeding traffic laws, and a slug of others.

I posted this elsewhere, but making a law, unless it is VERY specific, opens the door to enforcement abuse.
On the one hand, this will not help anything. Everyone is still going to be pissed, because if law enforcement wanted to they could be pulling people over for the last 50 years for failure to yield or impeding traffic.
They didn;t.
So they still won't.

but now, guess what? You are driving along by your lonesome at 2:30a.m. and it is pooring rain. you decide, after bouncing through the potholes and hydroplaning your car in the right lane, you will move to the left lane where condition is better and it has less pooled water.
OOPS!
now you are pulled over for breaking the left lane pass law just enacted, despite being all alone on the road and having a sound, logical reason to be in the left side.

BS you say?
In upper Michigan this was going rampant until finally a couple court cases got thrown out. I know this because my brother in law was fined despite being the only car on a 4 lane road. The cop had him there for 35 minutes, and still not one car showed going either way.

We do not need more laws all the time. More laws destroy our freedom and lead to abuse. If law enforcement monitored traffic flow and even if all they did was pull over one of the self absorbed types and had a chat for a while(no ticket, no warning, just impede their travel to let them know they were being a public danger/nuisance) then people would change. Another law isn't needed. Officers should be there for public safety. Too often they are there with a radar gun to make money. That is the issue, and this new law passed isn;t going to do anything but give them an alternative to the radar gun at the end of the month.
I never got around to printing My personal favorite bumper sticker that applies here rather well:

Narcissists
Please remain in the Left Lane
You are easier to spot

To keep us all on the same page:
Narcissism is a self–centered personality style characterized as having an excessive preoccupation with oneself and one's own needs, often at the expense of others1. Wiki

"ACCELERATE, MOVE OVER, COMPLETE PASS, MOVE BACK TO ORIGINAL LANE & RESUME YOUR SPEED" 1981 DL test

Last edited:
"ACCELERAYE, MOVE OVER, COMPLETE PASS, MOVE BACK TO ORIGINAL LANE & RESUME YOUR SPEED" 1981 DL test
That's the way things are supposed to work, yep - but for some reason these days (and I'm imagining it has
to do with the whole "entitlement" generation now prevalent in society), some people seem to think they have a right
to drive any damn lane at any damn speed they damn well please.

A law in SC, you can’t go faster than speed limit to PASS a car. I got pulled for going 65 on two lane road to pass the car, what I was taught a long time ago, get around before a head on. So if they’re doing speed limit in any lane park behind them

A law in SC, you can’t go faster than speed limit to PASS a car. I got pulled for going 65 on two lane road to pass the car, what I was taught a long time ago, get around before a head on. So if they’re doing speed limit in any lane park behind them
This is the law in WI as well.
20+ years ago I got busted doing 56 in a 45 in a rural lakeside road, it was a passing zone. Cop was sitting behind a tree lol, doubtful he was waiting for someone passing probably just someone speeding. But I was, he watched me pass a conversion van. What was I going to argue? No I wasn't going over 45?

it works the same on every highway in the state, 4 lanes or 2. Thankfully law enforcement rarely enforces it. I do go over 65 on the 4 lane roads. but I have a rule: NEVER be the one in front. I usually end up behind a foreign looking person in a Honda minivan. I draw the line at 78, sometimes the one in front leaves me behind, then I usually drop to 73ish and wait for the next one. So I will pass people, but I am "going with traffic" and never setting the pace. I think it helps to follow a honda minivan(or similar), cop sees them, it's a minivan, and the '13 hemi charger is following it so it must be fine lol.
I think the honda or toyota van is a WI thing. minority people always seem to be behind the wheel, some doing 90 in a 65. Apparently they get away with it.

I do the same. On a long trip I generally try to find a sailing semi to get behind. I followed one from Camden SC to Richmond VA once mostly at 80mph and had no problems.. He slowed down and so did I. He returned to speed and I followed him. At a respectful distance of course. Mostly the slow downs were traffic or cops. I stay just far enough back to escape the rocking cross winds...one of the reasons I like traveling the highways after 6pm and on into the night. Truckers are sailing..

I do the same. On a long trip I generally try to find a sailing semi to get behind. I followed one from Camden SC to Richmond VA once mostly at 80mph and had no problems.. He slowed down and so did I. He returned to speed and I followed him. At a respectful distance of course. Mostly the slow downs were traffic or cops. I stay just far enough back to escape the rocking cross winds...one of the reasons I like traveling the highways after 6pm and on into the night. Truckers are sailing..
Not really safe, but if you draft him your fuel economy increases, very little wind noise. Even worked with a 4Runner pulling an utility trailer.

Agreed. High flyers also not likely to cut in not wanting to follow the rig. With adequate distance, not unsafe.

Drafting a semi? Just sayin.

How close do you have to be to a car in front of you on the ...

In an episode of MythBusters , it was discovered that in order to achieve a 93% draft reduction, you need to trail behind the big rig by about 2-feet while traveling at 55mph. For everyone's sake, let's hope the big rig driver keeps the truck at a steady speed and doesn't need to suddenly stop.Dec 6, 2018

I hate following a semi. I cant stand to not have a full field of view. I most generally pass or drop back 1/2 mile or more. My theory is if I caught you you wish cruise set I pass. Unless I plan on changing course soon. Then I try to wait patiently.

Road peeves: Entering the left lane to pass someone I’ve been following for a while who is driving the limit and sometimes slowing and speeding up while I’d like to keep the cruise on. THEN the dip starts speeding up while I’m trying to pass with him going over the limit, so get back behind thinking he’s going to drive at a steady speed. Nope, slows down again. Ok, re-enter the passing lane and da F-er starts speeding up again going over the limit like he doesn’t want me to pass. Times like these my pedal finds the floor to – pass.

Another is when a lane is posted as closed ahead and everyone stays in that lane as the closure signs keep alerting of the lane closure, 2-miles, one-mile, half-mile, and people are passing until it’s all locked up in all lanes. And some still don’t move out of the closed lane. I’ve seen some smart truckers block the lane to keep dipshits out of the upcoming closed lane. My brother is a retired state cop and asked him why don’t you guys write these turds tickets. Too many to catch..

As to the lane closures. Sometimes I wonder if asking traffic to assemble in 1 lane to soon is more of a bottleneck than just letting them merge at the closed point? I do get peeved when every one is in single file and that guy does drive past 100 cars and cuts in. Nope not between me and the car infront of me!

As to the lane closures. Sometimes I wonder if asking traffic to assemble in 1 lane to soon is more of a bottleneck than just letting them merge at the closed point? I do get peeved when every one is in single file and that guy does drive past 100 cars and cuts in. Nope not between me and the car infront of me!
Relying on driver courtesy usually doesn’t work. But the dips that will stay in the closed lane until the barrels are in the way get let in one way or the other. Seems once some get behind the wheel, their temper fuse gets real short, lol.

As much as getting stuck behind people in the left lane drives me bonkers..... I have NEVER understood how these laws could be held up under scrutiny.

The speed limit is the speed limit. Period, there is no different speed limit for each lane. Per the law you should only be passing someone going below the speed limit. Then you return to the speed limit.

Not that I really ever follow speed limits, and may have a list of times I have been proven not to follow them.

Some states (or there were anyway) there is differing speed limits
depending on which lane, or what you're driving
they used to have it here too
some are for semis/truckers 55 Max. to 55 Max. cars trucks w/a trailer
stay to the right... 65 for all others...
IIRC I5 (northern) Ca. had them for a time too
Haven't seen the signs in a while now...

A few rural highways still have the 'passing lanes'
& 'slower traffic stay or keep right'
or 'dedicated turnouts' for people pulling trailers or semi-trucks etc.
to keep the flow of traffic going, works OK, here in NorCal
Hwys 49, 108 & 88 all still have them...

I like the "hammer lane" just because I like to drive fast. I'm really not in any hurry but I just like 80-85 on the highway.
It's good for your engine and keeps the carbon off the valves.

Gus

Auto Transport Service
Back