• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legend 700 5 speed doing an install

Relax360

Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
I recently bought a Legend 700 5 speed (you might remember it as the Kiesler SS700) I mocked it up today. I will be doing a write up on it when I am done. Just wanted you let people know they are still out there.

Looking forward to updates.

Ok guys its going to be a few posts before i get it all together and running but i wanted to outline a few things if you want to buy one at the time.

1. This is not a kit like you would have bought from Keisler or American Powertrain you are going to have to buy the little pieces by themselves.

2. This Transmission WILL NOT fit your stock Bellhousing. The Bearing retainer is 4.85 inches stock Mopar is 4.085 inches. you have some choices:
A: get your stock bellhousing bored out to accept the new bearing retainer size.
B: Quicktime make s a bellhousing part #6074(for big blocks) that will bolt up to your Mopar 4.85 is stock Ford size so I ordered my trans with the TKO/T5 bolt pattern to use this bellhousing.
3. The transmission input shaft is 1 1/8-26 spline which is different then the stock 1-23 spline stock Mopar. This is not a problem as most clutch companies can set you up wit the right clutch disc. I am close to Mcleod so i just went there and they spec ed out a clutch for me.

4. You are going to have to trim your floor and torsion bar crossmember a little bit. I had to put in a new floor anyway so it doesn't bother me. you dont have to cut the torsion bar crossmember hoop completely out either I will show some pictures of where needs to be trimmed. once i test fit the trans again i will box in the areas that have been trimmed.

End of part 1 picture to follow.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0024.jpg10330346_649431848464865_5659975271079052729_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

that picture is not my trans but the exact one i am using including shifter position and color :)

Do you know who builds this transmission? I was wondering if it was a modified Tremec 3650.

No its built by Legend gear and transmission in Statesville NC.
the case looks like and evolution of the T45

Last edited:
Well the new 5 speed weighs 108 lbs dry. add the clutch and bellhousing and flywheel your looking at about 150 i would think.

got it mocked up in the car

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 368
This is cool. I'm subbed to this thread.

It looks like you reuse the original transmission support. I think with Kiesler they provided a new one.

Is there no structural weakening due to trimming that torsion crossmember? I am guessing not otherwise you wouldn't have done it.

The Keisler crossmember originally lowered the trans by almost 2 inches and would have thrown the drive angels way out of balance. I will be showing pictures of my stock 4 sp crossmember and the modifications I had to do to get it to work. I stress that this project as of right now does require some fabrication. The areas of the torsion bar crossmember will be boxed back in after we remove the trans again.

That looks familiar:IMG_1372.jpgIMG_1343.jpg
The speedometer cable comes out right in line with the T-Bar crossmember which is the biggest issue I had.
I boxed in the cut out section of the crossmember too, just didn't find a photo of that yet.
I noticed the shifter is different too. I had to send my trans back because it would come out of fifth gear, and they fixed it and it now shifts fine.

Really cool trans mods, that's allot of work you have there. Looks like your doing one hell of a good job. That tranny looks hell for stout.

What do you have spinnin those gears?

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

440 +6 for me but a KB aluminum monster is in the works.

451mopar I used your picture as reference when i made my cuts from moparts.com

More to follow guys

In the Moparts thread, the tailshafts were ground down a bit, and Keisler didn't like that, said it could weaken the part? With the crossmember cut, it makes the needed clearance so you don't have to modify the transmission.
My setup is a 505" stroker with a really mild hydraulic roller cam and Edelbrock XT EFI. I changed my rear gears from 4.10's to 3.54:1 in the Dana 60.
It's nice to do 50 MPH at 1,500 RPM.

Legend cut down the tail shaft area as much as they could. they also told me any more would have cost strength in the case.

Some photos of the trans crossmember modification.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 325
Glad to see this post. I just pulled my 4 speed out of my 67 R/T and getting ready to order a legend. I did not realize that a factory bell housing would work. Man I was 100% in favor of the swap but now Im not sure if I want to cut my 1967 R/T 440 4 speed Dana car...What would you guys do?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back