• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s talk fuseable links. I need schooled.

70ChargerRT

Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
Should I run a bigger fusible link? Okay I’ve got a 8 gauge wire going to the starter relay from the battery with the factory 16 gauge fuseable link. 130 amp alternator, 4 gauge from alt to battery +. 2 gauge from battery post to starter. I need to replace it anyways. The other night I got tired and made a rookie mistake and left the hot off of the starter and tried to start it and smoked the fusible link. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Old school rule of thumb is fusible link is 2 gauges smaller than smallest wire in series.

Well, you left off your question, but I think you got your answer anyway. You stated that you "smoked" the fusible link. The fusible link is really a slow blowing fuse. When you forgot to attach your batter lead, it burned up and protected the rest of your wiring. If you didn't have it, you would have at least damaged more stuff; maybe even caused a fire.

Should you replace it? Hell yes.

Well, you left off your question, but I think you got your answer anyway. You stated that you "smoked" the fusible link. The fusible link is really a slow blowing fuse. When you forgot to attach your batter lead, it burned up and protected the rest of your wiring. If you didn't have it, you would have at least damaged more stuff; maybe even caused a fire.

Should you replace it? Hell yes.
Meant to say what do you guys think lol? Yeah when it melted it exposed about an inch of the wire.

The hot wire to the starter should not have a fuse link. The hot should be direct from the battery to the starter.

The hot wire to the starter should not have a fuse link. The hot should be direct from the battery to the starter.
It doesnt. If you read my post it’s the 8 gauge lead coming from the battery to the starter relay. The fusible link connects to the starter relay with that 8 gauge lead.

It doesnt. If you read my post it’s the 8 gauge lead coming from the battery to the starter relay. The fusible link connects to the starter relay with that 8 gauge lead.
Post a picture.

Ok. I’ve read some were saying 2 gauges smaller and some were saying 4 gauges smaller.
IMO....two gauges smaller...too small and you run a risk of excessive voltage drop thru the undersized lknk.
If appearance is not important, use commercially available fuses like a mega fuse as they provide predictable operation, sized for proper protection based on amperage.
BOB RENTON

2 gauges is 4 numbers smaller for what you are working on.
I'm confused. 2 awg wire is a bit of odd ball size. But is thicker than 4 awg is it not? 0/1 usually being largest for most automotive applications and usually used for some serious aftermarket stereo stuff ?

Maybe to correct that he should have stated that 2 gauges smaller is 4 numbers higher! #8 wire would have a #12 fuseable link.

Got this from another thread. You can see the yellow fused link at the starter relay. Is this what you popped?
upload_2017-9-20_20-17-15-png.png

Here is another view of a popped link.

img_0785-jpg.jpg

I'm confused. 2 awg wire is a bit of odd ball size. But is thicker than 4 awg is it not? 0/1 usually being largest for most automotive applications and usually used for some serious aftermarket stereo stuff ?

2 gauges or steps... not 2 gauge...

If you are using an 8ga wire you protect it with a 12ga link. 12-8 = 4

Wire gets LARGER as the numbers get smaller. Inverse relationship.

Should I run a bigger fusible link? Okay I’ve got a 8 gauge wire going to the starter relay from the battery with the factory 16 gauge fuseable link. 130 amp alternator, 4 gauge from alt to battery +. 2 gauge from battery post to starter. I need to replace it anyways. The other night I got tired and made a rookie mistake and left the hot off of the starter and tried to start it and smoked the fusible link. What do you guys think?
Starter motor? Or starter relay?

Starter Motor line doesn’t get fuse link. The load the motor sucks will be able to blow any regular fuse/fuse link you install. The fuse links protects the line running to the cab using the relay stud just as junction point to split the power to the cab and to the motor solenoid into the relay. Doesn’t even protect the starter motor solenoid, just the line running to the cab on the original design.

Auto Transport Service
Back