• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's see those side projects...

E67E7ACA-6556-47F1-8AF0-7A4FBEA96891_zpshky9wbk0.jpg

E200D4F0-D426-4B0D-9868-079EDF81A84E_zpseye8jfbd.jpg

My basement project ..worked on it only in Jan. Feb. Mar. over three years ..just those months because I was bored in the winter..gave me something to do a few days or more each week...it was out of the way so when I felt like stopping, I just left it...did all of it, framing, electrical (out of a book), drywall, and paint... pretty proud of it ..I'm no carpenter but it came out better than I imagined .. my wife thought I was crazy.. not crazy, just bored and thought I could do it ...

IMG_5405.JPG IMG_5409.JPG IMG_5406.JPG IMG_5416.JPG

I'm jumping in on this thread for the first time.

I don't get to do a ton of "art" projects but when they come around, I really dig 'em. This one for a FABO member's man cave was no exception. My customer gave me a few parameters but basically turned me loose and said "Have fun!" ... so I did.
biggrin.gif
I tried my best to make the Coke bottle look real.

Here it is on arrival. I'm not sure if this was the original paint job or not; I could only find one other just like it on Google images and it was white.

Larry Mayes & FABO pop up ad 001.JPG

Larry Mayes & FABO pop up ad 004.JPG

And here it is now ...

Larry Mayes - Coke Bench 006.JPG
Larry Mayes - Coke Bench 001.JPG
Larry Mayes - Coke Bench 003.JPG
Larry Mayes - Coke Bench 004.JPG

I did a short YouTube video too. Still pictures provide little justice with metallic candy powders, and even the video doesn't truly capture the jewel-like results.

The legs weighed even more than the back part (it's 43 pounds!!) so my customer is getting those done locally in Indiana. (I'm selling him the rest of the bag of black to make sure the legs match what I did.)

__________________ Larry Mayes - Coke Bench 008.JPG

Finished up a couple projects . . . here's the results . . .

Here's with most of the work done, still working on the top . . .

sm_halfwalldone01.jpg

And the completed project . . .

sm_halfwalldone02.jpg

And the view form the other side . . .

sm_halfwalldone03.jpg

Now that I've got my wall done - I was able to get this artwork out and on display - picked it up at a community art festival when I lived in Cary NC . . . yes, it's different . . .

sm_halfwalldone04.jpg

Got this tractor attachment back from the powder coater - and it's ready to use ( if you think it's too nice to use . . . )

sm_tractorattach01.jpg

Think again . . . it was built to help me haul stuff around, and it will be used

( found out my attachment point was too far back, and when the basket was raised, it hit the fenders - dented the expanded metal, scraped the powder coating - oh well, it's been christened and now I don't have to worry about "scratching" it . . . already moved the attachment holes )

sm_tractorattach02.jpg

Had to cut down a dead pine tree . . . it carries the branches . . .

sm_tractorattach03.jpg

as well as all the stumps . . . and I'm not dead tired at the end of the project . . .

sm_tractorattach04.jpg

Last edited:
I started this project in 1969. Worked on it bit by bit while life happened.
Finished it in 2008.

IMG_0337 (Large).JPG

image.jpeg

Built a home theater addition (125" screen).
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Rebuilt patio and deck (before and after). 40 foot vertical drop to creek below.
image.jpeg

Built the sign at the end of our driveway.

Plus installed pool house, added powder room to pool house, rebuilt shed, etc...

I love getting all my ToDo list projects (accumulated over 30 years) accomplished! Yet more to go as well. I'm enjoying my partial retirement.

Working on getting some of my to-do list done while the heat is making it difficult to work on the belvedere . . .

So here's the latest project in the works . . .

Find out the stud layout in the wall - to determine how the shelf layout will be done . . .

sm_inwallshelves01.jpg

Once that is found out - lay out the positions of the individual cubby hole shelves - (6) in this insance

sm_inwallshelves02.jpg

Build the wooden boxes to be inserted into the wall for the shelves . . . bottom (3) done . . .

sm_inwallshelves03.jpg

Got all the boxed built and fitted into the holes

( note to self - builders are not interested in perfection - just getting the house up - so when you "think" that the holes are all 14 1/2" wide - make them 14 1/4" to account for stud movement . . . twisted studs played havoc on fitting them - but they're all in place now )

sm_inwallshelves04.jpg

Once these get glued in place - the remainder of the shelving will be biscuit jointed to the boxed in the wall - these parts will extend out into the room - now to come up with some hind of interesting, creative, modernistic design to make it look "nice" and "different" . . . working on that in my head . . .

More later . . . as I wrap this project up . . .

Nothing new,
but did some stuff in the front last year or so back...
spending car $$ on the house...LOL

deck & trim needs paint, may get around to that...

Sonora Front yard #1.JPG Sonora front yard #3.JPG Sonora front yard #5.JPG Sonora Landscape #1.JPG Sonora Landscape #3.JPG Sonora Landscape #4a upper steps.JPG Sonora Landscape #6  driveway  wall.JPG Sonora Landscape DC fill #3.JPG Sonora front yard #7.JPG Sonora Landscape DC fill #5.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 350892
Built a home theater addition (125" screen).
View attachment 350891 View attachment 350890
Rebuilt patio and deck (before and after). 40 foot vertical drop to creek below.
View attachment 350889

Built the sign at the end of our driveway.

Plus installed pool house, added powder room to pool house, rebuilt shed, etc...

I love getting all my ToDo list projects (accumulated over 30 years) accomplished! Yet more to go as well. I'm enjoying my partial retirement.
Very nice. I can't wait till I retire so I can get something done and actually sleep too! Looks like you've been very busy.

Working on getting some of my to-do list done while the heat is making it difficult to work on the belvedere . . .

So here's the latest project in the works . . .

Find out the stud layout in the wall - to determine how the shelf layout will be done . . .

View attachment 352372

Once that is found out - lay out the positions of the individual cubby hole shelves - (6) in this insance

View attachment 352373

Build the wooden boxes to be inserted into the wall for the shelves . . . bottom (3) done . . .

View attachment 352374

Got all the boxed built and fitted into the holes

( note to self - builders are not interested in perfection - just getting the house up - so when you "think" that the holes are all 14 1/2" wide - make them 14 1/4" to account for stud movement . . . twisted studs played havoc on fitting them - but they're all in place now )

View attachment 352375

Once these get glued in place - the remainder of the shelving will be biscuit jointed to the boxed in the wall - these parts will extend out into the room - now to come up with some hind of interesting, creative, modernistic design to make it look "nice" and "different" . . . working on that in my head . . .

More later . . . as I wrap this project up . . .
Alright.... I started this thread to bait you into revealing why that Vert isn't getting done! Now we see why.... Damn Kahn slow down on the renovations and give that Vert some love!:poke:

Alright.... I started this thread to bait you into revealing why that Vert isn't getting done! Now we see why.... Damn Kahn slow down on the renovations and give that Vert some love!:poke:

LMAO . . . BUT . . . if I get this "crap" done with all this heat, and then when all this heat falls off ( so I can work on the car ) . . . then all of these projects WON'T be in the way so I can focus on the vert ! ! !

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it ! ! !

( smile )

Auto Transport Service
Back