• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets Talk Heat Barriers

Nice, really clean install!

A bit late now, but personally, I would have installed it, foil-side down so the foil would block more of the heat from radiating into the thick padding. Not sure how much, or if, it would have made a difference, just my $0.02

I researched the foil side vs material side. You want the foil side out, the material creates insulation and a barrier.

I researched the foil side vs material side. You want the foil side out, the material creates insulation and a barrier.
Thats counterintuitive. One would think you would want to first reflect as much heat as possible like a heat shield on a re-entry vehicle then insulate it to protect the interior space.

Thats counterintuitive. One would think you would want to first reflect as much heat as possible like a heat shield on a re-entry vehicle then insulate it to protect the interior space.

Placing the foil on the metal surface would have no purpose but a backer. All of the other products out there are foil side out. Remember the foil is reflective on both sides.

Placing the foil on the metal surface would have no purpose but a backer. All of the other products out there are foil side out. Remember the foil is reflective on both sides.
I hear ya. Its also conductive which lends credence to your claim. Why add metal to metal? Sure makes me think about this.

I hear that butyl breaks down with heat and can be a turd to try and remove later. Whats your experience with it? Hhave you inspected it?

Butyl should not ever break down, but it will for sure be a pain to remove. Many butyl-like products out there that are asphalt based and do not hold up to the same kind of heat as butyl will.

If you are looking for a reversible solution, I would avoid butyl.

I used these self-adhesive tiles for a heat barrier on top of dynamat-like butyl sound deadener. To prevent heat transfer you need something that traps air to properly insulate, so a closed-cell foam is going to be most effective here.

Some are like bubble-wrap and the cells will collapse easily, basically rendering them useless in places like under the carpet where they will get compressed.

These are what I used and I haven't yet driven the car but am confident they will do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Insulation-Self-Adhesive-Deadening-Material/dp/B07TKXMPH7

I used these self-adhesive tiles for a heat barrier on top of dynamat-like butyl sound deadener. To prevent heat transfer you need something that traps air to properly insulate, so a closed-cell foam is going to be most effective here.

Some are like bubble-wrap and the cells will collapse easily, basically rendering them useless in places like under the carpet where they will get compressed.

These are what I used and I haven't yet driven the car but am confident they will do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Insulation-Self-Adhesive-Deadening-Material/dp/B07TKXMPH7
Great point! Cell strength under load compression for the floor is very important. Thanks!

I got a 40 sqft roll of foil backed sound/heat insulation on Amazon for $50. It had a lot of good reviews and isn't the peel and stick type. I'm installing it under the carpet and not sticking it down. Once the seats and carpet are back in it's not gonna move around.

I got a 40 sqft roll of foil backed sound/heat insulation on Amazon for $50. It had a lot of good reviews and isn't the peel and stick type. I'm installing it under the carpet and not sticking it down. Once the seats and carpet are back in it's not gonna move around.
Do you have a link for it or a product number?

I ordered this from Home Depot. Made with recycled blue jeans. No itchy scratchy. Flame resistant. Fairly easy to work with. I used spray adhesive to install. Cuts with a good pair of scissors. Not expensive at all when compared to other alternatives on the market. I feel no heat from the roof or floor during a drive. Quite in the car too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouch-48-in-x-24-ft-Radiant-Barrier-30000-11424/100661257

View attachment 968834 View attachment 968835 View attachment 968836
View attachment 968837
View attachment 968832
Just came from there, they no longer carry that

Just came from there, they no longer carry that

You couldn't get it at the store, you had to order it online. Even online they have discontinued it. It was made by Ultra Touch. Their site says there might be limited supplies. Who knows now days with things always changing?

I like some of the others used an inexpensive aluminum foil backed on both sides , no adhesive, used aluminum refrigerate , house a/c type tape to secure it , also the jute was left in place , used this in roof , doors rear seat quarters and doubled under rear seat ! 67 Gtx is very quiet inside and floor is cool enough to drive bare footed , with the Classic auto aire system , it is very ,very comfortable!

Wife bought mine at a farm and ranch store, looks very much like bubble wrap with foil on both sides, oh I know it sounds cheap but it was and it works great and easy to use ! She found it first for our four seasons RV when we were working in the Nort West upper corner of Colorado all Winter on a pipeline job many years ago at very high elevation and sub zero weather at night to give extra insulation inside all outside compartments and inside all cabinets against the outside walls , great material and a Super Wife ! Military Kid , GI Tight !

Auto Transport Service
Back