• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lexan in a 65 Coronet suck!

wedge5

Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score
Tried to install a 3/16 Lexan windshield in my 65 today and had no luck! I gave them a template of my original and they cut it oversized. I had to trim it down which wasn't hard. The hard part was the sharp bends for the top and bottom corners when we got them in place it bowed the center real bad. I was using the stock rubber seal and it just wouldn't hold. Worked on it for 4-5 hours and finally gave up.
I ordered a glass windshield today and the glass place said they had two in stock. I find it hard to believe that a stardard glass warehouse would have TWO in stock. The new one isn't in yet so I hope I am wrong.

Yeah,I know what you mean...I had to get a new windsheild for my 67 GTX...Got the last one in the state...Took it to the track and a cuda doing a burnout in the box threw up a chunk of asphalt...Wham!!!Broke a two week old piece of glass...Got another one 1.5 months later..
Petty Blue 67 GTX

there is a company selling new windshields on E-Bay
not my first choice for vendors but in a pinch it would work

If you were trying to install the front windshield with out having it molded and formed like the original, yes it would be a nightmare. Kramer automotive industries carries a small number of molded and formed Lexan windshields and they fit with the factory rubber seals. Expensive but maybe well worth it.

I've talked to a few different racers who have had lexan windshields in the past and hated them. Bad reflections, streaky and scratch easily. They went back to glass with no regrets.

We have had great success with the lexan in the 64 Dodge. The glass was too heavy and eating ET and MPH. You just need to make sure you have an experienced installer. I believe the installer we used heated the lexan before installing. The seals around the lexan are original from glass. The only problem we had was the lexan wanted to bend in the front around 1/8 mile. The Dodge runs 150 MPH, so if you are running that MPH you may want to add a 1/4 reinforce bracket on the dash to insure it doesn't bend or bow. I have attached a pic so you can see the bracket. As far as the cleaning, just make sure you use the right cleaning product and a soft rag. We have not had a single scratch and it stays clean and shiny as the day it was installed. Hope this helps!

dodge 049 - Copy.jpg

yes, it is....LONG overdue for an 8!

Not to get too off topic but tell us about your pushbutton extension. More shots of your car in action wouldn't hurt either.

btw glad to hear your lexan windshield treats you right.

Not to get too off topic but tell us about your pushbutton extension. More shots of your car in action wouldn't hurt either.

btw glad to hear your lexan windshield treats you right.

It is just extended on the back of the shifter with aluminum bracket. With the seat belt couldn't reach the buttons! Just improvised! I have some other videos posted. Here's another one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0MBYhPMtj4

Auto Transport Service
Back